Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Wikiposts

What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:25 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Could you please point me to the area/post where I said moderators opinions matter more than another. It just so happened that Cresta had experience of the same sort of situation and this was used as an example in my post.
I obviously misunderstood the tone of your post then, because I read it as if you were saying that yourself and Cresta had already answered the OP's question, no further discussion was needed, move on.

I value Cresta opinion as I am sure many others do, but it was only one experience and not in the same industry under the same circumstances. I'm sure the laws here are different for many things, but common sense prevails 99% of the time. Until we know all the facts for sure conjecture rules.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Moderators are regular posters, and such are entitled to opinions just like the rest of the membership here. It just so happened that both Cresta and I had opinions and in one instance actual experience of the issue.

I would suggest - as a regular poster, mods hat off - that if you have an issue with any of my posts, or anyone else's for that matter, you click on the "report" button. It's the little square one with the ! in it just next to the karma.
Just for the record the only issue I had with your post was what I perceived (obviously incorrectly) to be the tone of your post.

However, being and Admin and a Mod in another Expat forum I know full well that whatever you post using an Admin or Mod account it is taken as the words of an Admin or Mod. Your hat is always firmly on and as such most people would rarely disagree by Reporting a Mod to a Mod. Not that I had any intention of doing anything of the sort anyway

For what it's worth, we are all in agreement on this subject as previously mentioned.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:53 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Tut tut Dot,are you being all high and mighty again
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:04 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Yes, I once got a refund from a restaurant in Leeds after drunkenly paying too much - not quite drunk enough to have had the 3 bottles of wine they charged me for, as we only had 2. Sobered up next day, rang them, they credited my card. Were they trying it on or was it a genuine mistake, I don't know.

I'm going to counter all this negativity with a happy little story.

Last night we went to a new-to-us restaurant, arriving about 7.10pm not knowing they offer a 25% discount every night before 7pm, nor knowing that they do set meal deals where you can have a limited choice (3 starters, 3 mains) for roughly the same price as a main.

We chose not to go for the set as I didn't fancy any of the set starters. Despite there being a big sign at the desk saying you must be seated before 7pm to get the discount, and the fact that it was very busy, the waitress (not management) gave it to us once we said we'd be going a la carte.

She knew it was our first visit, and she probably knows it won't be our last. That's good service (and canny business acumen).
Where was that then? Always on a hunt for good places to eat!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:16 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
Where was that then? Always on a hunt for good places to eat!
Josephs ov (sic) Cremorne, 283 Military Road, quite near that dreadful Jimmy Possum place you once told me to go to for wardrobes. There is a website but it popped up a virus threat for me so I don't recommend looking at it. Oh here it is on eatability: http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn...s_ov_cremorne/

It's not going to change the world but it's a very decent food/value combo. My steak and mash (which I don't eat often but I just fancied some comfort food) was very good; The Geek loved his lamb but thought the mango butterscotch sauce with it was a bit weird. Mains all mid $20s full price I think, some good deals and an excellent casual Sunday evening (or any evening) dinner place you can go to in shorts. BYO allowed.

Couldn't fault the service, especially as they moved us well away from a couple of outrageous old drunks before we even asked.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:21 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Josephs ov (sic) Cremorne, 283 Military Road, quite near that dreadful Jimmy Possum place you once told me to go to for wardrobes. There is a website but it popped up a virus threat for me so I don't recommend looking at it. Oh here it is on eatability: http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn...s_ov_cremorne/

It's not going to change the world but it's a very decent food/value combo. My steak and mash (which I don't eat often but I just fancied some comfort food) was very good; The Geek loved his lamb but thought the mango butterscotch sauce with it was a bit weird. Mains all mid $20s full price I think, some good deals and an excellent casual Sunday evening (or any evening) dinner place you can go to in shorts. BYO allowed.

Couldn't fault the service, especially as they moved us well away from a couple of outrageous old drunks before we even asked.
It just goes to show that we don't all have the same taste in things as I love Jimmy Possum and have quite a few pieces from there.

Probably the same as this and many other threads about peoples opinions, likes and dislikes - what a boring world if we were all the same.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:26 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well I said nothing about the furniture although most of it was way too oversized for our rental; I thought the shop itself was badly laid-out, especially considering the prices.

BTW Steve I just read the reviews on eatability and I have to agree with one reviewer that some of them seem a bit suspect. Like I said, it's not earth-shattering, but it is what it is. I described it as one step up from good home cooking.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:48 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney
D'oh

So they make a mistake and you pay the price quoted to you by them in full faith and leave thinking that's that sorted...yet few days later they can come back and chase you for making a mistake

That sounds like a lot of b*ll*x to me!!! (not syaing you're not telling the truth just describing this right in OZ)

Is the reverse true then? ie if you spotted a mistake on your bill, which say should've been cheaper, and you wanted the difference back, could you??
Yep guy who fitted them made a mistake, he made the invoice out for $780 stamped it "paid in full" yet only entered $195 on the eftpos machine. His employers underhandedly went to a friendly Police Sergeant [extended family] who looked up my name & bank details etc. He found a telephone number that incidentally wasn't mine but my parents. The Tyre company then hounded my parents until I contacted the police who then put me in touch with the proprietor. By that time we'd had a visit from the Police Sergeant who made it clear he was ready to make everything official. I called his bluff telling him I'd have to wait until the bank statement came in & the next thing we had a solicitors letter demanding payment before we ended up in court.
I went to see our solicitor [20 min free consult] he advised prompt payment as the law was on their side not mine He wrote a letter back to their solicitor asking that; due to the harassment of my parents & also asking at the local tile shop for my personal details the tyre shop write a letter apologising for their mistake & clarifying that I was in no way responsible for the debt & had not known about the mistake their employee had made. As soon as the letter arrived I paid their solicitor the $585 bucks.
I've still got the letter somewhere on file. I'll have a dig around.
The annoying thing was that if I'd said we had paid cash for the other three tyres there would have been no proof either way except my invoice stamped "paid in full"
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

As the Manager of a hotel/pub/restaurant in the UK (when will I ever get to Oz), I would never do such a thing. If we got the bill wrong it is our mistake and we deal with that.

Tell the restaurant manager to shove it where the sun dont shine!! It is only $50 tell him to take it out of the tips or better still pay it himself, he should be able to afford it!

Hope you had a good night by the way
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yep guy who fitted them made a mistake, he made the invoice out for $780 stamped it "paid in full" yet only entered $195 on the eftpos machine.
Not trying to be arsey in any way, but I might come across that way, but don't you check the amount before putting your pin in? What if it had been the other way round and he had put too high a figure in?

Also, I recon if they took you to court over the exact same senario in the UK they would win, even though it was their mistake. In that type of situation you would have to show you took the cash out of the bank for the small claims court to award in your favour.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

For my 2 pennies worth, I would like to say that I think if it came to being in front of a judge, he would prob rap the knuckles of the restuarant owner for being stupid but prob make the diner pay for the rest of the meal...

Just my 2 pennies worth..

Course.. that would all depend on if the owner could prove that the diner did owe the money... how can you prove that you ate or drank anything? Its just one persons word against another... unlike the tyres incident where the sale of goods is pretty obvious... however, they acted, IMHO, in an intrusive manner which was quite beneath them..

Not that it matters either, but I don't see the point in using this forum to name and shame small matters like this, (unless there is massive harrasment).. tho I have no qualms whatsoever of using this forum for recommendations what to avoid...

So.. apart from contradicting myself a bit, there is my rather simplistic view!

Em x
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
if I'd said we had paid cash for the other three tyres there would have been no proof either way except my invoice stamped "paid in full"
But to be fair, if you had paid cash, it would have been blindly obvious that the amount was wrong and they would have noticed it and so would have you, thus negating the situation...

jeez... Cresta.. I think the tyre place behaved appallingly...

Em x
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:37 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Not trying to be arsey in any way, but I might come across that way, but don't you check the amount before putting your pin in? What if it had been the other way round and he had put too high a figure in?
I don't. To be honest I can't remember the last time I put my pin in and there was a total on the screen. In my experience they generally take your card, swipe it in the machine, punch in some numbers and had you the machine so you can punch your pin in.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, they do have the total on them. I have never had one put the wrong amount in yet (places like supermarkets it is all automatic anyway) but the one time I don't check will be the time it is wrong.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:02 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom

Also, I recon if they took you to court over the exact same senario in the UK they would win, even though it was their mistake. In that type of situation you would have to show you took the cash out of the bank for the small claims court to award in your favour.
Deb just paid up & left the garage without looking at the little stub, ever since then we both always check the amount. Deb even did the BAS statement but didn't even check the eftpos tab against the real invoice so we really did wait until the bank statement came in before it was confirmed.

Originally Posted by emelems
But to be fair, if you had paid cash, it would have been blindly obvious that the amount was wrong and they would have noticed it and so would have you, thus negating the situation...

jeez... Cresta.. I think the tyre place behaved appallingly...

Em x
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. If I'd countered their claim by lying & falsely stating I'd paid the difference in cash there would have been only the invoice as proof.
Originally Posted by bigAPE
I don't. To be honest I can't remember the last time I put my pin in and there was a total on the screen. In my experience they generally take your card, swipe it in the machine, punch in some numbers and had you the machine so you can punch your pin in.
I've just filled up with fuel since I posted the last comment & to be honest when the cashier passes you the machine you just put your number in. It doesn't always show the amount on screen. It does on the printout though so we do now check that amount.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:11 pm
Auntie Fa

I once had a credit card refused in a store in Singapore, paying about $500 for a glass bowl. As I was handing over an alternative card my husband's phone rang; it was Amex wondering if we really meant to spend $9999.99 in one transaction. Giving her the benefit of the doubt I don't think the sales assistant had a clue how to use the machine. Had it gone through, I hope I'd have noticed.

(Relatedly, some of you may recall that somebody used my Amex details in Nov to book a UK hotel online, it was over 700 quid. They're still investigating that one but I'm determined to have somebody to thump.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.