Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Wikiposts

What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Old Jan 10th 2009, 4:49 pm
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice
Default What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Went out with friends for dinner the other night, there were 6 of us and the bill looked about right for what we had ($510 not exactly cheap!) and we paid it.
Now the restaurant keep calling saying they got the bill wrong and want a further $50 from us.

What would you do?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 4:52 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Originally Posted by FiP
Went out with friends for dinner the other night, there were 6 of us and the bill looked about right for what we had ($510 not exactly cheap!) and we paid it.
Now the restaurant keep calling saying they got the bill wrong and want a further $50 from us.

What would you do?
Ask for an itemised invoice showing where the mistake was before you will consider paying them anything.

And how did they get your phone number in the first place?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 4:57 pm
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice
Default Re: What would yo do? Restaurant asking for more money after we paid their bill!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Ask for an itemised invoice showing where the mistake was before you will consider paying them anything.

And how did they get your phone number in the first place?
Was stupid enough to give them it when I booked.......you live and learn........
Old Jan 10th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by FiP

What would you do?
They got the bill wrong tell them to get it right next time or better still just tell them to F*** OFF.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FiP
Was stupid enough to give them it when I booked.......you live and learn........
Ask them to send you the itemised invoice and you'll call them back when you've had a chance to read it over and discuss with your legal advisor. Let them know that if they call you again you'll have no choice but to complain to the authorities that you are being harrassed.

Quite frankly you've paid your bill, so if they made a mistake I would say they're liable for the mistake. Certainly if you had overpaid by $50 they wouldn't be on the phone to you offering to refund it, would they?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:23 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FiP

What would you do?
hang up
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

So many places have signs up saying to check your change as mistakes can not be rectified after you have left. I would count this as working both ways.

Personally I would have told them straight off that you checked the bill at the time and it was correct (but then I do always check the bill).

I have had resturants try to charge me for things we have not had before, maybe they are hoping you won't remember and this is an easy way of getting more money out of you.

Could it be that they are trying to add of a service charge? It is funny that it happens to be about 10%!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheeky buggers They presented the bill, you paid it, they accepted payment, end of. Explain that, explain that you do not intend to give them any further money and if they have any other questions, to pass them on to your solicitor - they won't take it any further - not worth it for $50.

With regards to the phone number, majority of places when you do a booking want a phone number or even a credit card number. Guess they get messed about too often but that's no excuse to do the same to you.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Bloody hell, that a lot, where did you go??
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:59 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

They presented you with a bill which I can only assume was not itemised, thus it's their problem and I would suggest they have no legal grounds to claim further payment.

Ask them this. If they had charged you too much and you ended up overpaying, would they be contacting you to offer reimbursement ? I seriously doubt it.

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Bloody hell, that a lot, where did you go??
£39 a head ? Hardly

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jan 10th 2009 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

We had this at work once, a guy cashing the bill off typed in $21 instead of $210 so this guy paid $21 for a meal for 4 people, only rea;ised when cashing up, the man rang them up and tried to get them to pay but he just said it wasnt his bill, yes he made the booking but his friend from over seas paid and was nothing to do with him!! which is fair enough I wouldnt pay it, mind you the guy who made the mistake got into a fair bit of trouble!!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

£39 a head ? Hardly

Al[/QUOTE]

Well my sums make it $85 per head!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:37 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

£39 a head ? Hardly
Which is £39. I guess Red Rooster would have been cheaper, but $85 a head (including drinks) for a good meal with friends doesn't sound that bad to me.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:38 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

£39 a head ? Hardly

Al
Well my sums make it $85 per head![/QUOTE]

Mine too.

So in effect, these peole have charged $85 per head. Considering the mark up in the food and drink industry, i would say they got more than enough already!!

If you break down $50 between 6 people thats a loss of $8.30 each person.

They have a damn nerve if you asked me!! Next time they phone up, tell them to get lost!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:43 pm
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Mine too.

So in effect, these peole have charged $85 per head.
Yes, that's what I said.

($510 / 6) = $85 = £39

You're saying you feel that ~£40 a head including booze for dinner with friends is expensive ?

Last edited by bigAPE; Jan 10th 2009 at 7:51 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.