Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What will you miss this christmas?

Wikiposts

What will you miss this christmas?

Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:18 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you miss this christmas?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'll take your word for it. I have no idea what's on here at Christmas. Had better things to do the last two years. But the idea of Noel Edmonds doing a sob sob pressie of a lifetime to a sick kid, the Queen's Speech, The Sound of Music or The Great Escape, an old Only Fools followed by a 5 year old 'Premier' and then another film does sod all for me
The Queen's speech is on here too. I notice the Edinburgh Tattoo is on on Xmas Eve too for any Scots feeling nostalgic.

I'm going to miss seeing my nieces and nephew open their gifts and I'm also going to miss the birth (not literally as that's one birthday I'm happy to miss lol) of a new niece/nephew.

Mostly I'm going to miss my Mum and Dad and I feel their greif at missing us too. Thankfully they'll be herre in 4 weeks though woohooo.

Will miss my 87 yr old Gran too. She got her card from us the other day packed with photos and said to my Mum "oh I really miss the girls, i just want to give them a big hug". Mum told her "well, you just need to keep well and you'll see them next year". Her reply was "don't worry, I'm going nowhere til I see my bairns again".

Mum is in Edinburgh and she told me last night they have a thick thick frost. She lives on right next door to a golf course and she said the frost combined with a morning fog was beautiful - white everywhere with blue skies above. For a brief moment I miss that too, but VERY briefly.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I will miss/am already missing lots of things

I miss it getting dark early and driving around seeing all the hideously tacky light displays
I miss the real build up -- the sense that everyone is celebrating
I will miss midnight mass at my family church
I will miss spending boxing day with my mum's family (aunts, cousins, cousins children etc)

That said there's lots I wont miss as well mainly being pulled by family committments from pillar to post. Ours are the only grandchildren and neice/nephews on both sides so everyone wants a piece of us and we spend hours and hours inthe car
I dont miss the feeling of panic and stress and the stress in the shops
and I dont miss the Leicester sorting office queue....
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:00 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

going out with me best pal,another good lookin chap..it used to be like picking apples...

ill miss that...
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:02 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helen/andy
Just wondering what will you miss this Christmas?
Precisely nothing.

I will be enjoying a great meal with my family. Same as I always do. I shall spoil my kids with a great stocking each and we'll all have a good laugh.

What's to miss?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
going out with me best pal,another good lookin chap..it used to be like picking apples...

ill miss that...
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not being in the Uk, I will miss my personal visit by Charles Dickens or the whole street being decked out to look like the set of Oliver.

I will also miss children in bare-feet singing Carols at my door by candlelight whilst sipping mulled wine all after the watershed.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'll take your word for it. I have no idea what's on here at Christmas. Had better things to do the last two years. But the idea of Noel Edmonds doing a sob sob pressie of a lifetime to a sick kid, the Queen's Speech, The Sound of Music or The Great Escape, an old Only Fools followed by a 5 year old 'Premier' and then another film does sod all for me
Christmas musings:

I used to be quite partial to a Bond movie - but of late they seem to have run out of them to screen. One year all the women left and all the blokes were left to watch Mr Bond keep up the traditions of the service : sad gits that we were.

Nerves over having to sing "Once in Royal David's City'' - on my own - still have nghtmares over that one. Halycon days...

The Great Escape is a good one. I still chuckle at Steve McQueen tasting their homemade beer, (quite topical as I will be bottling my brew this weekend) and the cooler high jinks. Best bit is when the German soldiers ask to see the British soldier's papers - in English(!) My Dad and us would all be glued to all this, but typically my mother would always side with the Germans and remind us that the poor 'uneducated' German guards were probably tormented and bullied by the Brit/US officers. Typical vintage Mum.

A few years ago I burnt to CD all the pop Christmas songs -all the obvious ones and a few more obscure ones with all the choral classics from Kings at the end. We couldn't find it last year so we were a bit down.

We found it, and played it last weekend and it was so 'lovely' that I even got out my DVD of The Great Escape and had it jacked up in the player and found a time, but predictably, Miss Badge (jnr) fouled her nappy and the DVD is still in there.... just waiting.

Saw Grumpy old Men last night and I don't miss all that UK experience - I just want a good leg of ham, tin of Quality Street/ or failing that, Roses, some well-aged wine (on special), pud, pies and the company of my family down from Sydney - and 2 long weekends.

Miss Badge (snr) is talking about Santa but is scared stiff of him and turns away on sight. And I have to work nights in secret, and be bitten by mossies to finish the woodwork projects that will be Mrs B and Miss B's presents.

This year will be the best.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:02 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

My kids.

Have always done a shared Christmas thing with the ex previous years, coz we lived pretty near to each other - he would have them in the morning & we would in the afternoon, or whatever.

Now we've moved away, the distance & the holidays means he's having them for the whole week from the Saturday to the Saturday.

Not sneaking into their rooms to do the stockings, even thought they're older & they know it's me.
Not having them in bed on Christmas morning with us & their "silly" early-morning present.
Just....
not having them.

Never, never again.
All being well, next year we'll be together in Oz, we'll be camping out, or surfing or maybe doing a ski trip.

Lots to look forward to, but just got to somehow struggle through this last Christmas.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:21 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helen/andy
Just wondering what will you miss this Christmas?

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire and maybe Jack Frost nipping at my nose
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Talking Re: What will you miss this christmas?

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I will miss you both also, I will be thinking of you freezing your t*ts off while i get even more burnt. I will have to get someone in to put suntan lotion on for me
Who will get my beer for me ? and how do i work the washing machine, oh and how many sugars to i take in my tea and which remote is it for the tv ? What time do i get up for work ? Can i bring some friends round for a beer or 3

John
Dont worry twin brother, I will come and help you drink the beer in your two beer fridges.