Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What were/are your reasons for moving to Oz?

What were/are your reasons for moving to Oz?

Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What were/are your reasons for moving to Oz?

Originally Posted by kporte
My wifes parents live in the Aveyron in a little village, and yes the accent is funny! "a demain" becomes "demang!" I now have a Southern accent on my very limited French Where are you from Elice?
A pom with a southern French accent, I've got to hear that!!

I was born and bred in Carcassonne http://www.carcassonne.fr/carcassonn...geIntroVisiter and after a few years here and there, I'm happily settled in Melbourne. My parents still live there though.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:09 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
Nope, not better, just different. Dont do it for the kids, do it because you want the adventure. Your kids will probably do what many Aussie kids do and head back to Europe once their education is over and given their dual citizenship (as they will have then) they may well stay over there for the better life opportunities. Australia will not confer brains, beauty, talent on them that they dont have back in UK and it will isolate and restrict their access to the wider world and to family networks but there are swings and rounabouts I guess.
Better opportunties for kids in Europre, Europe is in recesion while the OZ economy is booming, all this talk of bailing out near bankrupt european countires like Greece and the UK economy is in a dreadful state. The unemployment rate in most european countries in twice or double that of OZ. Aussies like to go to The UK and europe for holidays but most prefer to live in OZ,

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 9th 2010 at 1:13 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Better opportunties for kids in Europre, Europe is in recesion while the OZ economy is booming, all this talk of bailing out near bankrupt european countires like Greece and the UK economy is in a dreadful state. The unemployment rate in most european countries in twice or double that of OZ. Aussies like to go to The UK and europe for holidays but most prefer to live in OZ,
Few would argue that for young people there are likely to be greater life possibilities in Europe over Australia simply because of the geography and the economic power in the Northern Hemisphere. As for the current economic climate in Europe, it's a passing phase. I don't think Quoll is talking at this precise minute, more of a 'general any time' timespan.

Some people prefer Europe to Australia, don't know why it confuses you so much, it's called personal choice. Would you really want everyone to love Australia and stay here? It would get very very crowded and unemployment would likely go up
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilson01
Think it would be interesting to find out just what it was/is that makes us want to live in Australia. Why have you stayed there? It would help a few of us if you shared your experiences.

Thanks a lot
My reasons:
To get away from the rat race/horrible commuting of SE England
I did not want to grow old there
I generally don't like Briish children and their attitudes/values and didn't want my son to be one
Space - and lack of it there
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
the OZ economy is booming*
I think you should just make that your sig...that and, 'there is no recession in Oz'. It would save you loads of typing time!

*as long as you consider 0.2% quarterly growth a boom, wouldn't like to see it when it isn't booming then!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My reasons:
To get away from the rat race/horrible commuting of SE England
I did not want to grow old there
I generally don't like Briish children and their attitudes/values and didn't want my son to be one
Space - and lack of it there
I like living in Australia but the thing I dread more than anything is my daughters and son growing up Australian. Its like being partially formed and I can see it happening before my eyes. They can go gang bash each other, act like they are 11 when they are 19 and professionally gatecrash after 5 bundys. And dress sense - I mean have you looked at the teenage boys, its quite gruesome.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
I like living in Australia but the thing I dread more than anything is my daughters and son growing up Australian. Its like being partially formed and I can see it happening before my eyes. They can go gang bash each other, act like they are 11 when they are 19 and professionally gatecrash after 5 bundys. And dress sense - I mean have you looked at the teenage boys, its quite gruesome.
Good lord, where do you live?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:21 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good lord, where do you live?
Probs QLD
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:27 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Probs QLD
My money's on the Sunshine State too!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

yea, yea - maroochydore plaza on a saturday is enough to traumatise anyone. Sydney wasnt so bad, but even there metrosexual seemed to be the fashion.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I like QLD
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by kporte
I like QLD
So do I. I knew there was a reason to stay way from the Sunny Coast though
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:12 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon children grow up too quickly in the UK - there is too much media/peer pressure on them - and there is more anti-social behavior over there. There are obvious - sometimes glaring - exceptions, but children act like children here, well where I live anyway.

It's one of my reasons for moving here and I'm keeping it.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think Perth is different. I also think kids grow up too fast in the UK - I have lived in Brisbane for a long time and its the same issue there. Perhaps I live in the wrong areas too - in brisbane I met lots of spoilt, immature little rich kids (my own extended family included) and I think I actually prefer the kids at home.

actually I dont think I like teenagers very much anywhere except the ones I have personal relationships with - they are a pain in general. They all remind me of that harry enfield sketch
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:25 pm
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

yea, yea - maroochydore plaza on a saturday is enough to traumatise anyone. Sydney wasnt so bad, but even there metrosexual seemed to be the fashion.
Interesting fact:

My missus has been out on girls nights out all over the UK and all over OZ. The only place that she has ever felt threatened was in Maroochydore on a Saturday night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.