Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What were/are your reasons for moving to Oz?

What were/are your reasons for moving to Oz?

Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light
Default What were/are your reasons for moving to Oz?

Think it would be interesting to find out just what it was/is that makes us want to live in Australia. Why have you stayed there? It would help a few of us if you shared your experiences.

Thanks a lot
Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:07 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What were/are your reasons for moving to Oz?

Sun Sea Sangria

Oh shit I caught the wrong flight
Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Sun Sea Sangria

Oh shit I caught the wrong flight
Haha, you should get ur own show
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

• Warmth (heat 30 degrees C)
  • Fishing
  • Warm holidays on your doorstep (camping) all year round
  • Wide roads
  • Not playing dodgem cars everyday
  • Sandy beaches
  • A valuable currency
  • Bigger house i.e. liveable size (not a matchbox)
  • Outdoor photography in sunlight (most year round)
  • Wildlife
  • Short winters
  • Similar length days all year round
  • No TV license
  • Far away from (some) relatives
  • Sub tropical plants e.g. palms, succulents that survive all year round
  • Better rugby and cricket
  • Swimming in the warm sea
  • Dedicated cycleways
  • Another two possible countries to retire in (Oz & NZ) and kids can live in
  • Metric
  • Affordable petrol
  • Swimming pool/spa at home
There are probably more but that's enough for now.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a lot more sure about this move than I am. I find it very hard to articulate why we are doing this.

We have a comfortable life now. We live in a first world country, we have two good incomes, we have a nice house in a rural location with a lot of equity in it. We could probably buy ourselves a nice pied a terre in central London too and we always said if we were turned down for a visa that is what we would do. We don't have big families, so we are not leaving a lot of people behind. But then with so few of them, I wonder why I would leave the relatives I do have.

I have never understood this "better life" thing although I am definitely not coming for a worse life, so probably a "different life" is what I expect. My husband trots out the "better life" stuff at times and seems to think we will be completely different people in Australia and will immediately take up surfing and whatever else the stereo Australian likes to do.

So why then? Well I do love travel, adventure and experiencing different cultures. We always spend a lot of money on holidays each year and we hope to explore that side of the world thoroughly during our time there. I am not thinking forever at the moment, I am thinking medium term and then see. If I want to come home, my husband will. I have no doubt about that, although we will set a rule for the minimum time we have to give it.

With FX rates and house prices we are not going to be as fortunate as those who moved a few years ago. But we should be able to achieve a good standard of living and the money will still go further in Australia than it does a 40 minutes train ride from central London where we are now. (In terms of buying a house I mean). I am looking forward to a big outside entertainment area with BBQ and a spa / jacuzzi thing, but we have decided we are not bothered about a pool. I am hoping to get sea views or failing that being very near to the sea.

I sometimes feel envious of those who are sooo excited about Australia. I am looking forward to trying something different and the challenge of it too. But I am not expecting paradise.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:31 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco
  • Warmth (heat 30 degrees C)
  • Fishing
  • Warm holidays on your doorstep (camping) all year round
  • Wide roads
  • Sandy beaches
  • A valuable currency
  • Bigger house i.e. liveable size (not a matchbox)
  • Outdoor photography in sunlight (most year round)
  • Wildlife
  • Short winters
  • Similar length days all year round
  • No TV license
  • Far away from (some) relatives
  • Sub tropical plants e.g. palms, succulents that survive all year round
  • Better rugby and cricket
  • Swimming in the warm sea
  • Dedicated cycleways
  • Another two possible countries to retire in (Oz & NZ) and kids can live in
  • Metric
  • Affordable petrol
  • Swimming pool/spa at home
There are probably more but that's enough for now.
I would agree with almost all of those. (apart from rugby, cricket - not my thing!) We just love it here and are very happy. We are planning to be grey nomads when we reach retirement.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Short and sweet - 8 months after we moved here we had to go back home for a wedding. Awful journey back to Oz, missed flights etc, nightmare, no sleep for 2 days. Got off the plane in Cairns airport, walked outside into the tropical air at around 5 am, and it just 'smelt' like home (and we live in Brissy!! )

oh, and another reason we moved here, it was so much cheaper to take the kids to public swimming pools (my husband raved about them after our holiday here )
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Stubbly-on-the-Minge. Soon to be Melbourne!!
Stilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the rough

The reason I am moving to Melbourne is very easy! The other half is Australian and she does not want to live in the UK. (Neither do I, tbh).

I land on the 28th March and I can't wait!!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Husband got offered a scholarship here for postgrad studies (a very long time ago) and unfortunately we never left. Dont think we had any plans otherwise to come here and at that time I had no intention of staying (we were young, I had no intention of staying anywhere). It was just going to be the next step in the life adventure but somehow we got stuck here.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

waves
warm water
weather
wild life
wide open space
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
My husband is a lot more sure about this move than I am. I find it very hard to articulate why we are doing this.

We have a comfortable life now. We live in a first world country, we have two good incomes, we have a nice house in a rural location with a lot of equity in it. We could probably buy ourselves a nice pied a terre in central London too and we always said if we were turned down for a visa that is what we would do. We don't have big families, so we are not leaving a lot of people behind. But then with so few of them, I wonder why I would leave the relatives I do have.

I have never understood this "better life" thing although I am definitely not coming for a worse life, so probably a "different life" is what I expect. My husband trots out the "better life" stuff at times and seems to think we will be completely different people in Australia and will immediately take up surfing and whatever else the stereo Australian likes to do.

So why then? Well I do love travel, adventure and experiencing different cultures. We always spend a lot of money on holidays each year and we hope to explore that side of the world thoroughly during our time there. I am not thinking forever at the moment, I am thinking medium term and then see. If I want to come home, my husband will. I have no doubt about that, although we will set a rule for the minimum time we have to give it.

With FX rates and house prices we are not going to be as fortunate as those who moved a few years ago. But we should be able to achieve a good standard of living and the money will still go further in Australia than it does a 40 minutes train ride from central London where we are now. (In terms of buying a house I mean). I am looking forward to a big outside entertainment area with BBQ and a spa / jacuzzi thing, but we have decided we are not bothered about a pool. I am hoping to get sea views or failing that being very near to the sea.

I sometimes feel envious of those who are sooo excited about Australia. I am looking forward to trying something different and the challenge of it too. But I am not expecting paradise.
By reading your post, and i could be wrong you seem to be equating a better life to financial stability. Coming over is not necessarily about having a big house with a spa and decking, lifestyle is important but it wont keep you here. I promise if you are not able to remove the clutter in your mind as far as 'should we have done this or that' and then make an effort to not compare Australia to the UK at every turn, you will spend 6 stressful months out here and be back in your 'pied a tere' in time for cream tea and cucumber sandwiches..

Travel and adventure and experiencing different cultures are about as far removed from resettling somewhere else as Queens version of Under Pressure to Jedwards

So i'd tell your HB to stop banging on about surfing, barby's and Koalas and stop selling it to you and forget you have the visa and just really ask yourself why you want to move to the other side of the planet if life is good. What do you stand to gain?

Last edited by Sherro; Feb 5th 2010 at 8:59 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:58 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilson01
Think it would be interesting to find out just what it was/is that makes us want to live in Australia. Why have you stayed there? It would help a few of us if you shared your experiences.

Thanks a lot
I followed an Aussie love interest who became my wife and mother to my children. Loved it so much over here that the subject never came up whether we would go back to the UK or not. No brainer for me
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:59 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
  • Dedicated cycleways
You're moving to Brisbane - dodging other cars is something you're going to have to get very good at - as a motorist and especially as a cyclist!

As for the dedicated cycleways - choose your area carefully - all is not always what it seems on BCC's cycleway maps!

I moved from the UK with my Aussie (former) OH - our preference was actually to stay in the UK but the visa application was taking so long & and they wanted to travel back to Aus & see family that the app was withdrawn and I came here instead!

Not something I regret, and I am very happy with life in Melbourne - I do wish I had spent less time in Brissie though. Having said that I would also happily return to the UK no question.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I have no idea why we moved to OZ, i guess i was having a bad day in UK and thought '***k it, i'm off'
We all have bad days with bad decisions. I corrected it, so all's ok
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:06 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You're moving to Brisbane - dodging other cars is something you're going to have to get very good at - as a motorist and especially as a cyclist!

As for the dedicated cycleways - choose your area carefully - all is not always what it seems on BCC's cycleway maps!

I moved from the UK with my Aussie (former) OH - our preference was actually to stay in the UK but the visa application was taking so long & and they wanted to travel back to Aus & see family that the app was withdrawn and I came here instead!

Not something I regret, and I am very happy with life in Melbourne - I do wish I had spent less time in Brissie though. Having said that I would also happily return to the UK no question.
I can understand that. I have a simple rule that would not necessarily apply to all. Brisbane is a great spot for families and those who like the outdoorsy lifestyle. Melbourne is better suited to singles or couples with no kids who prefer a more social scene.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.