Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What sweets do you remember as a kid....

What sweets do you remember as a kid....

Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:39 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What sweets do you remember as a kid....

Originally Posted by Clippy
OH my gosh yes, I'd forgotten about those mmm yummy
I've had a real craving for sweet peanuts lately and have tried all the 'Taste of Britain' shops to no avail.

However...... have a look here:

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/sweet-peanuts-p-86.html

and it appears that they ship to Oz and have all the old faves! Guess what OH will be getting for his birthday next month

Jules x
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by allthejs
Pacers and spangles

Noboby has mentioned them yet so I must be extra old

Jacky xx
We used to have a packet of Spangles and a packet of Rolos in the old army 1 man 24 hr ration packs. Remembered with fondness.

Blackjacks are simply classic and perhaps on par with fruit salads but being a sucker for sherbet, I would have to say Sherbet Fountains beat all with Dip Dabs a close second (an honourable mention goes to the Refresher chew for the strategic placement of sherbet).
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

happyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the rough

Curly wurlys, milk bottles and fruit salads.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:51 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penky
I loved the white chocolate skulls with the red ? strawberry sauce inside mmmm yummy
oooh yeah! i loved those.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:53 am

i must be spoilt here. There is an old fashioned sweet shop that is still going stong near the town centre here that still sell most of those sweets that you all mentioned.

spangles came back for a bit the the mid 90's but didnt last long.

in fact i'm sure i've seen the skulls in Macro not that long ago
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by sasbear
It's one and the same - they had Fry's mint cream bar
and peppermint cream bar and then the five flavour bar.....mmmmmmm

I miss

Sherbert Pips
Strawberry cushions
Cola Cubes
Spangles
Raspberry ruffle bar
cinder toffee
sweet tobacco (not ciggies)
Caramac

I could go on
Sas,, if you want i can send you a box (or just a few) of raspberry ruffles as I can still get then really easily.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe nobody has said Toffos (remember the assorted flavours packet ?). One of my all time favs were Double Agents sweets that had a secret code in the wrapper. Slightly related was the Super Spy ice lolly that had a code in the stick. The stick was a plastic stencil. One half of the letters making up the code were on the end you held, with the other half revealed when you finished the lolly. They should bring those back .

Last edited by BenandPam; Feb 13th 2008 at 6:18 am.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by BenandPam
I can't believe nobody has said Toffos (remember the assorted flavours packet ?). One of my all time favs were Secret Agent sweets that had a secret code in the wrapper. Slightly related was the secret agent ice lolly that had a code in the stick. The stick was plastic and like a stencil. One half of the letters making up the code were on the end you held, with the other half revealed when you finished the lolly. They should bring those back .
i remember when they used to print jokes in the ice lolly sticks!

think they should bring that back
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
I can't believe nobody has said Toffos (remember the assorted flavours packet ?). One of my all time favs were Secret Agent sweets that had a secret code in the wrapper. Slightly related was the secret agent ice lolly that had a code in the stick. The stick was plastic and like a stencil. One half of the letters making up the code were on the end you held, with the other half revealed when you finished the lolly. They should bring those back .
Those milk chocolate drops with coloured balls of sugar stuff on one side, also were white choc ones dunno if they were called rainbow drops? also palma violets, shrimps, sherbert fountains oooh remember the pink ones and Kali or however it was spelt space dust, we used to open our mouths wide to see who could make the loudest noise
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by curly
Those milk chocolate drops with coloured balls of sugar stuff on one side, also were white choc ones dunno if they were called rainbow drops? also palma violets, shrimps, sherbert fountains oooh remember the pink ones and Kali or however it was spelt space dust, we used to open our mouths wide to see who could make the loudest noise
the popping candy stuff?

try that with cola in your mouth as well!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh cherry lips, I loved cherry lips
Cherry lips & Midget Gems. Yum!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Pacers - the green and white spearmint chew...

Cabana chocolate bars - coconut and cherries....

Space dust popping candy..

Mojos remember when they were 2 for 1/2p or 2 for 1p of the bigger ones.

Snap crisps - like quavers but harder and they crackled when you ate them...

Sweet Peanuts...

So many!!!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Cherry lips & Midget Gems. Yum!
Fancy both of us being on a sweets thread How are you?

Lau x
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reedy
Fancy both of us being on a sweets thread How are you?

Lau x
Just pm'd you so we don't take over the thread!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know something similar but it was fry's and they used to do a peppermint one too
Fry's five boys wasn't it??? Of course it was before my time Heard about it from my dad...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.