Wikiposts

What should I do?

Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What should I do?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Bought some nice thick Gravy Beef and assortment of vegetables.

Heat a (preferably) cast iron pot so the temp is uniformly hot even by the lid.

Cut 2 large onions into four thick slices each and then halve the slices.

Put some olive oil into the heated pot enough to coat the onions and meat pieces.

Put the onions into the pot and add a generous amount of mixed herbs. Can also add garlic at this stage or near the end if required.

Stir around and put the lid on to steam them until they seperate.

Cut the beef into large cubes.

Crank the heat up to max now before adding the beef cubes.

Add the beef cubes and stir around make contact with the pot to seal them as much as possible.

Do this every few minutes until all meat looks brown and sealed.

Put the lid on and leave for about 20 minutes until liquid level rises.

Once liquid level has stopped rising, add some red box wine until the liquid level is a couple of centimetres below the meat level. Mix through and put lid on. It's important not to have too much liquid!

Turn the heat down so that it all just simmers and leave for an hour checking periodically it's all ok.

Prepare quartered or baby potatoes, sliced carrots, cubed or sliced mushrooms, another onion finely sliced, butternut squash cubed small, cauliflower and brocolli pieces. (no beetroot)

Check the meat until about half tender then add the slowest cooking vegetables first i.e. carrots then potatoes then butternut then mushrooms then cauli and broccoli. Prod the potoatoes and carrots into the liquid to cover them. The rest go on layers evenly on top.

Put the lid back on and leave to simmer until the vegetables are nearly cooked - another half an hour maybe. Test a potato and carrot periodically.

When nearly done, mix some gravy granules (Coles) in about half a cup of hot water to dissolve then add to pot and mix everything through.

Test gravy to taste. It should not be to thick or too thin. Add more if required.

Leave to cook a bit more in the gravy.

Stir once through and serve with your favourite Mediterranean bread.

Bon Appétit
....or ring Eagle Boys.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
....or ring Eagle Boys.
Haven't tried them yet but the menu looks good and there's one fairly close by. Might try them soon.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:45 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Haven't tried them yet but the menu looks good and there's one fairly close by. Might try them soon.
FFS! have you still not eaten?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
FFS! have you still not eaten?
Yes and gonna have some more for lunch. What's left of it.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and gonna have some more for lunch. What's left of it.
3 hours overtime and too tired to cook....you got any left?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:48 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What should I do?

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Can anyone smell burning ????
Not yet, but I suspect we will when Mrs Alfresco returns!

Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

An alfresco bbq maybe?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
3 hours overtime and too tired to cook....you got any left?
Nope sorry. All gone. Yum.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Originally Posted by Pollyana
An alfresco bbq maybe?
Nope not my BBQs. They are usually pretty good.

And we are gonna have one tonight whether Mrs has eaten on the plane or not. She'll see what the plane food is like. So I'll time it for her return.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Ronisi is an unknown quantity at this point

Do what I do visit a friend and sponge off them. If you a feeling guilty bring a bottle.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Dear Wife is in Perth this week on business. So I got her shopping list she wrote out before she left and went to Coles and bought the groceries. I've come home and unpacked them. I've put the meat and veg all neatly on the counter next to the stove.

I then went to the bar fridge, as I do, and am sitting outside drinking a beer.

I've been here 5 minutes and had a look, but the food is not cooking for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hmmm, well actually your food will be doing a sort of cooking, sitting on the counter in hot and humid temperatures...
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ronisi
Do what I do visit a friend and sponge off them. If you a feeling guilty bring a bottle.
Originally Posted by sammax
Hmmm, well actually your food will be doing a sort of cooking, sitting on the counter in hot and humid temperatures...
No worries. Wifey is back home and another bbq tonight.

Kids are out, so it will be peaceful too!