What mobile phone?

Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:17 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What mobile phone?

Dropped my phone in a bowl of water... so need a new phone.
Choices seem to be:

Samsung Galaxy SII
Apple iPhone 3 or 4
Nexus S
HTC Desire
Nokia 5230

Any opinions?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What mobile phone?

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Choices seem to be:

Samsung Galaxy SII
Apple iPhone 3 or 4
Nexus S
HTC Desire
Nokia 5230

Any opinions?

Galaxy SII without any real thought. Lovely fast processor, nice large screen with plenty of real estate, very light, and largely waterproof plus no need to slave it to iTunes.

S
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:21 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Choices seem to be:

Samsung Galaxy SII
Apple iPhone 3 or 4
Nexus S
HTC Desire
Nokia 5230

Any opinions?
iPhone ... Gordon Gecko style ...

I don't really have a serious recommendation, I have a basic Samsung thing that I hardly ever use and has many features I will never use.

An iPhone will do all the iOS app things and an Android phone will also do app things. If app things are important to you.

I have been using an iPod Touch 3GS for a couple of years and it's never given me a peek of trouble so I'd imagine the iPhone is similar.

I tend to pick the cheapest thing that will make and receive phone calls and texts.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Galaxy SII without any real thought. Lovely fast processor, nice large screen with plenty of real estate, very light, and largely waterproof plus no need to slave it to iTunes.

S
All my stuff is iTunes though..

Damn the camera on that one isn't good and I do want one that is 5mpx

Oh wait, that's 8... just people moaning about the camera buttons.... Ok, I can handle that.

Thanks, SOLD!

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Nov 25th 2011 at 2:32 am.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

All my stuff is iTunes though..

Damn the camera on that one isn't good and I do want one that is 5mpx

Actually, the Nexus S is a very capable phone - my friend Andrew just bought one for only a couple of hundred $, and it's pretty good. That has a 5 mpx camera - but it doesn't have a card slot to expand the memory, which is probably it's only real drawback.

Not being iTunes compatible is no real drawback. iTunes 'pre-processes' stuff before you put it on the phone - music, movies etc - Android phones don't do that - you just plug it into a computer, it sees it as a flash drive and you just drag and drop stuff onto and off of the phone - you don't need the application layer in between. The real benefit of this is that you can plug it into any computer, anywhere and just use it like a flash drive.

Looks like it only comes in the 900/2100 MHz flavour though, so it won't run on Telstra's 3G network, but will run on Vodafone and Optus. Which carrier are you with?

S
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:43 am

Actually, the Nexus S is a very capable phone - my friend Andrew just bought one for only a couple of hundred $, and it's pretty good. That has a 5 mpx camera - but it doesn't have a card slot to expand the memory, which is probably it's only real drawback.

Not being iTunes compatible is no real drawback. iTunes 'pre-processes' stuff before you put it on the phone - music, movies etc - Android phones don't do that - you just plug it into a computer, it sees it as a flash drive and you just drag and drop stuff onto and off of the phone - you don't need the application layer in between. The real benefit of this is that you can plug it into any computer, anywhere and just use it like a flash drive.

Looks like it only comes in the 900/2100 MHz flavour though, so it won't run on Telstra's 3G network, but will run on Vodafone and Optus. Which carrier are you with?

S
Vodafone...
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:56 am
has lost The Game

Vodafone...

Ok, so a 900/2100 MHz model will be fine - Telstra NextG uses 850, and the two aren't compatible.

S
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Nexus S and really like it. Never had another smartphone though so nothing to compare it to, but similar to whenever I've messed with mates iphones. I'd recommend it (I did in fact to my missus and she got one too cos I was sick of her nicking mine to play angry birds all the time!)
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:26 am

Ok, so a 900/2100 MHz model will be fine - Telstra NextG uses 850, and the two aren't compatible.

S
Thanks...

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I've got a Nexus S and really like it. Never had another smartphone though so nothing to compare it to, but similar to whenever I've messed with mates iphones. I'd recommend it (I did in fact to my missus and she got one too cos I was sick of her nicking mine to play angry birds all the time!)

Thanks, I'll check that out too if I can ever log into Vodafone's site.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:57 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

HTC Desire, no question.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

My eldest daughter has a Galaxy SII. She loves it but I don't particularly like using it. Hubby and I have new iPhones and love them. Super easy to use.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:03 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by chris955
HTC Desire, no question.

Desire, or Desire HD?

S
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:16 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Choices seem to be:

Samsung Galaxy SII
Apple iPhone 3 or 4
Nexus S
HTC Desire
Nokia 5230

Any opinions?
A waterproof one?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:58 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
A waterproof one?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking last night for my Christmas present - down to either the Galaxy SII or the HTC Sense. Hubby will choose as the present is from him. He is geeky and says that these are both very good and comparable with each other. I played with a number of phones in the Telstra shop to see what they are like, including the IPhone.

BTW don't write your phone off after getting it wet. My dad has managed to drown the same phone at least twice now, and both times after drying out it is working fine. First time was a serious drowning - left for a couple of hours in a bucket of water until he realised he was missing a phone, that took about a week to dry out in total, left in pieces on the radiator. The second time was more of a dunk, and that got left in pieces on his car seat in the sun for a day and was fine that night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.