Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what do you hate about Oz?

what do you hate about Oz?

Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:24 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you hate about Oz?

The arrogance/not invented here/we're special attitude.

There is a hell of a lot Australia could learn from the rest of the world, but due to a local hubris they won't learn those lessons until its too late (and sometimes not even then).

Look at the "we can't have a housing crash", "we're safe here against GFC II", "made in Australia for Australian conditions", etc. It's kind of the opposite to the cultural cringe - an inability to learn from the lessons of others, even when those others are demonstrably ahead of the local market.

Australia tends to hold itself apart and separate from the world, maintaining pride in ..... not very much really, if you were honest.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

All the bitter and twisted poms who bitch and moan about the country but still live here

Put up and shut up or move the f**k on
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It is something my wife often says, why hasn't a young country like Australia learnt from the mistakes of other countries.
One of the things I really don't like here is how insular they are, they honestly do feel as though they aren't part of the real world. It's interesting when I read a post like this and think it isn't just me that notices all these things.
Another thing is the locally made TV show that gets advertised as a World Premiere when shown on TV.
Originally Posted by GarryP
The arrogance/not invented here/we're special attitude.

There is a hell of a lot Australia could learn from the rest of the world, but due to a local hubris they won't learn those lessons until its too late (and sometimes not even then).

Look at the "we can't have a housing crash", "we're safe here against GFC II", "made in Australia for Australian conditions", etc. It's kind of the opposite to the cultural cringe - an inability to learn from the lessons of others, even when those others are demonstrably ahead of the local market.

Australia tends to hold itself apart and separate from the world, maintaining pride in ..... not very much really, if you were honest.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RossCountyLoyal
Cricket

Rockingham

Aussie rules footbal

Rugby union

Rugby league

Rockingham Chippies

Paula yates (ok, she wasn't australian, but still don't like her)

Ayers rock (its only a bit of bloody stone !! Have you ever seen dumbarton rock, its much nicer, right next to the water)

Paul hogan

Sydney opera house (very overrated)

Price of bananas

Mark viduka

The price of a pint at "the boat", mindarie. Nice view, shame about the prices

The people who hijacked this thread with crap about bermuda

Rockingham strip clubs

The people on this site who love to preach to everyone and hijack threads. I particularly like the idiots who continally come on and say that people will fall flat on their faces. Is that smug or what ? I have to say if being tuned into this forum every night and participating in the same old threads isn't falling flat on your face I don't know what is ?

Hot weather (that was my wife that added that, she is a ginge, don't know why she is coming, other than to cook the grub)

Can't buy alcohol at the supermarkets (although I do like the drive through carry out shops, great idea. Don't think it would work in ferguslie park though)

Paul Hogan's wife

Getting called sheila (I only had a dress on once)

Rockingham estate agents

Hilary's harbour - great place but not able to buy a beer until you buy a chippie first, wtf

Being pished as a fart in the "Whale & Ale" and refused a drink and given a pint of water.

The road into Rockingham

The inability of Kangooros to come out during the day - antisocial fu____rs

The price of a bag of chips at "the boat", mindarie

Rockingham beach

The numpties who will no doubt pour scorn on this post, and tell me off for being a naughty boy "you cannot tell other people what to post and what not to"

and finallly......

moving to oz in a few weeks time, can't wait. Think I might fall flat on my face with this attitude, but thats the way it goes.

take it you wont be joining us happy campers in Shockingham then?

Things I hate about Australia?

Husbands being bitten by Tiger snakes... Now that never happened in Ipswich...
family phoning and saying... "now dont get upset but....."
Not having girlfriends who drop round for a coffee or phone for a chat
Cleaning the pool..
Paying stoopid prices for quilting fabric or having to wait an eternity for delivery from the USA for cheap ones.
I would say the shite TV but I just dont watch it in protest.
Not knowing what is happening in the outside world unless its about a West Coast Eagles player
Having to say YO gurt rather than yoggurt..
price of bananas
Poms i the uk who think that kanagaroos are cute cuddly things where as they are DANGEROUS and kill, injure, maim more people each year than any snake by bouncing into your car.
Koala Bears... Who are a boring smelly waste of space

The fact that the kids keep something as a pet that I avoid at all costs in the wild and BITE people... Causing you to think you're husband is going to die and you'll be all alone 12,000 miles away from your support system.

Oh.. And visitors to shockingham who dont get it....
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:00 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Another thing is the locally made TV show that gets advertised as a World Premiere when shown on TV.
Another one is "....ist in the southern hemisphere".

Take a look at a map someday. Look at how little is south of the equator, and how backward much of it is. Not much to boast about really, is it?
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:31 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that it's 12000 (or whatever) miles (or whatever) away at the moment.

Gawd, I'm extremely ready to go home
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

God the people who ****in moan on here is endless.

I love this country and im ****in thankful every single day that im not living in the UK. Please all you negative people **** off back there...
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HANK2010

I love this country and im ****in thankful every single day that im not living in the UK. Please all you negative people **** off back there...
Be fair ffs... This thread is an invitation for an open whinge....

What I HATE about oz...

Is people who are happy here, like me and you mate, GLOATING about it....
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

Is people who are happy here, like me and you mate, GLOATING about it....
What is there to gloat about

I suppose some people who couldn't hack it isn the UK may feel better off here....but that says more about them than either country
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling

I suppose some people who couldn't hack it isn the UK may feel better off here....but that says more about them than either country
My lifestyle here in Australia is DRAMATICALLY different to that in the UK...

I was happy in the uk

I'm happy here

i have a suspicion that if you sent me to outer mongolia with HIm and the kids together I'd be happy there too....
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What annoys me is the people who glean or see reinforced, their negative knowledge about Australia based on watching the television. And then complain about that too. There is an 'off' button.

I have gleaned most of it from reading BE....

I say to people, choose where you live and where you work closely.

I hated, but that is not the right word, an Australian company I worked for about a year ago - for all of 4 months. It was quiet over Christmas. It was all the things that people said about Australia, despite the fact that people were otherwise intelligent. But it was nothing other than taking a position in a funny little company that was geographically and culturally out of the norm...and a far cry from the way things seem to be done in the CBD.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling

You and eddie can't be that happy here judging by the amount of time you mist spend on the computer posting all the time in every thread going!
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, how big is that chip on your shoulder ? You don't like the UK, good for you, others don't like this country, it's no different. Don't be so sensitive about it.

Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You and eddie can't be that happy here judging by the amount of time you mist spend on the computer posting all the time in every thread going!
I don't think G is entirely happy...

and as for gloating...surely some people have to have happy lives in Australia - and if, by all accounts, it is unusually hard, then maybe it must be a triumph.

I don't knock people though who feel they were dealt a poor hand in the Uk and then went on to do better here.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Uh oh... Another 2010 joiner... Limited posts who knows ALL about everyones BE habits... Why are you all springing up all of a sudden, let me guess....

I post on here to escape housework.... Well known fact

I got a hell of a lot of info and advice from here before immigrating... And I like to help those on their way...

I enjoy the banter

I used to post a lot on here due to working nights and the impact that had on "human" interaction during my "waking hours"

I am currently swatting up for an interview by doing online study packages

I apologise for flicking back anf forth to give my brain a break

Now why not disappear under your bridge and wait for the next billy goat that comes trip trapping across this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.