Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you do when... Beware rant

Wikiposts

What do you do when... Beware rant

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:28 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you do when... Beware rant

I have to say, that whenever I walk down the street, the crowds part before me like the red sea. They then usually get bombarded with water, packets of whatever is on the shelves, stuffed giraffes and whatever else is handy.

On another note, people are not afraid to confront disability - when my daughter has casts - I have had lots of people come up to me and say "Whats wrong with 'er then?", "Why doesnt she walk right" etc.

thats its just ignorance though, there are is not that holding back you get in the uk. I sometimes say "well shes not deaf thats for sure.

I find some british people like that though - talking really loudly about how bad the roads are, the weather is, the flies are, the aussies are etc. Like they can't hear. I find that quite rude and needless
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:31 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by emelems
Back to the orginal question, yeah we have the same.. was walking in cotton tree the other day and an elderly (rather large) couple were walking along the path (as we were).. OH moved to one side as much as he could to accommodate them, they just barged through...

We've come across it alot..

However, like the driving (which I found really awful when I first arrived) its like I have just adapted and now don't notice it much.. (unless it is horrendously bad).. same with the barge through and don't care attitude..

The one thing that does make me titter is that when I am in the supermarket and someone (usually) is blocking the aisle, the Aussies will happily stand there making faces at whoever it is (if they can't barge through) and no one.. and I mean no-one will summon up the courage to speak nicely and loudly "err.. excuse me? can I get past please?".. they just roll their eyes and look at everyone else waiting with a pained expression...

Again.. I find that quite amusing.. I usually just wait at the end of the long blocked line waiting to see what will happen! haha!

Em x

PS Flea.. think you took a lot of flack there.. I didnt read it in that manner that it was appeared to be taken in..

PPS Disclaimer: I speak as I find..
We're not that far away. Today we were walking at point cartwright when the last incident happened. Maybe it's a sunshine coast thing.

LOL about the supermarkets! For some reason I don't get frustrated there but find it very amusing when I'm looking at something on a shelf (and it's painfully obvious to anyone with the intelligence level of a blade of grass...) and an aussie will walk right up and stop right in front of me and block my view for a minute or so. It's so funny and I have no idea why they do it. You should see the look on there face when they see me giggling and shaking my head at them.

I deliberately drive the speed limit on the roads now just to get a reaction from drivers. I would love to find a bumper sticker that says "I drive like this just to piss you off" And then have another sticker on the side window of a one finger solute for when they speed by LOL
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mic n mat
We're not that far away. Today we were walking at point cartwright when the last incident happened. Maybe it's a sunshine coast thing.

LOL about the supermarkets! For some reason I don't get frustrated there but find it very amusing when I'm looking at something on a shelf (and it's painfully obvious to anyone with the intelligence level of a blade of grass...) and an aussie will walk right up and stop right in front of me and block my view for a minute or so. It's so funny and I have no idea why they do it. You should see the look on there face when they see me giggling and shaking my head at them.

I deliberately drive the speed limit on the roads now just to get a reaction from drivers. I would love to find a bumper sticker that says "I drive like this just to piss you off" And then have another sticker on the side window of a one finger solute for when they speed by LOL
To be fair(ish), I don't think that they notice it.. but we do as it not our culture.. driving at the speed limit when you have Queensland plates is just not on ! Thats only for out of towners (Victorians usually).. the NSW plated drivers usually are madder than the Queenslanders!! LMAO!

Em x
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
To be fair(ish), I don't think that they notice it.. but we do as it not our culture.. driving at the speed limit when you have Queensland plates is just not on ! Thats only for out of towners (Victorians usually).. the NSW plated drivers usually are madder than the Queenslanders!! LMAO!

Em x
Glad you said fair(ish) ....we definitely notice it when people stand in front at the supermarket....I think that is rude everywhere....funny you mention Qld'ers speeding....Brit who arrived recently cannot believe how slow everyone drives here and how many speed traps are on the motorways...said in the UK he does 150km/h on the motorway and never gets a ticket...he's got $500 worth here in a month.

Guess it all depends where you come from....
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mic n mat

Hope you don't do that in the fast lane...we have enough people already doing that
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
What r u on about? I can see and i can hear, therefore i have enough nouse (unlike a lot of Aussies) to take notice of who and what is around me. Even IN a mobilty scooter i could manage to avoid them UNLIKE your average Aussie

The only reason i am getting this grief is because i dared make a tongue in cheek anti Aussie statement. Not really related to the scooter at all..but hey ho..par for the course in here.
So, you found a rude Englishman? Woopeee do!! I await the next 10 pages of posts about rude Brits who walk into people just to "disprove" the theory

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Thanks for pointing this out Dorothy, my old next door neighbour was deaf. Do actually remember a similar incident when she was aimed at by someone in a mobility scooter who obviously didn't see she had a hearing dog and couldn't move as quickly.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have come across so may rude bastards that I never even bother to hold the door open for people any more.

Distinct lack of manners among the locals.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
I have come across so may rude bastards that I never even bother to hold the door open for people any more.

Distinct lack of manners among the locals.
And I mistakenly never considered manners your area of expertise
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
And I never considered manners your area of expertise
I am obviously learning the Australian way
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am obviously learning the Australian way
You're a great study
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:47 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but dont you think thats a world wide phenomena? In university I was with my professor and 6 boys, he insisted one stand for me to sit down and they all were very surprised. I think times have changed.

I find over here that people respect family and other people. Children are not allowed to take seats when elderly people are standing, I am always getting helped to carry things, my neighbours rush over to unload my car etc. This is in Sydney and now on the coast. I do find Queensland a little less civilised than Sydney but none are as bad as in my home town.

There is one group of fishing, red neck types who are partially formed mentally but on the whole I find people nice. Strange but nice.

Its a personal perspective thing.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Its a personal perspective thing.
Probably the most common sense typed on this thread so far.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Probably the most common sense typed on this thread so far.
Well...from my perspective they are mostly rude, selfish bastards
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
it was said they didn't realise they were in someone's path ... only realising after collision...
Yes but if you actually read the post properly, they said first of all that they were sick of them walking 'into their path' and having to slam on the brakes. Not that they were not moving out of the way because they were in their pat.

Jo
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well...from my perspective they are mostly rude, selfish bastards
Yeah, but you're a misery guts so that's to be expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.