Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What to do with my tools?

What to do with my tools?

Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

davidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the rough
Default What to do with my tools?

Hi there,

My fiance and I are making the big move to OZ in september after getting our visa's through 2 weeks ago!!

I'm a carpenter in the UK and have a load of 110v power tools and i've heard they don't use these on sites in Australia. Couldanyone let me know if this is true???? If so i'll have to get shot of them rather than taking them with me.

Cheers for taking the time to read my thread

David
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with my tools?

hi David
My husbands an electrician with a soft spot for electric tools. He bought all his 110v tools with him. I know he used them when he had temporary work. Don't know about carpenters though.
jackie
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:19 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by davidleonard1983
I'm a carpenter in the UK and have a load of 110v power tools and i've heard they don't use these on sites in Australia.
well, they do use 240V, and I'm sure you have big heavy a transformer.....???

I'd bring them
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:21 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Dont bother bringing 110v

To work on site, all equipment must be tagged, and they will not safety tag 110v stuff !!!

Mad I know !!

I have 2 trannies here, and a wicked 110v drill... alas cant use it, unless im on my own house.

Ste
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:26 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

To work on site, all equipment must be tagged, and they will not safety tag 110v stuff !!!

Mad I know !!

I have 2 trannies here, and a wicked 110v drill... alas cant use it, unless im on my own house.

Ste
When you say Trannies and cant use them unless your in the confines of your own home, can you clarify what your refering to?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:26 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
When you say Trannies and cant use them unless your in the confines of your own home, can you calrify what your refering to?
PMSL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That TOO !!! lololol
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That TOO !!! lololol
I knew as soon as i read trannies that one of you would make a comment. PMSL also
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:07 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
When you say Trannies and cant use them unless your in the confines of your own home, can you clarify what your refering to?
just where do you plug it in
Attached Thumbnails What to do with my tools?-transvestite.jpg  
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steve`o
just where do you plug it in
LMFFAO !
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Mad I know !!

Ste
I brought all mine as well Steve & couldn't get them tested & tagged up here so I replaced them all with Aussie stuff.
Then a couple of years back a chippy on the Gold Coast posted that he'd got all of his 110v tested & tagged by a bloke down there.
I don't know if it's a legit deal as the reply I had from the powers that be was that a transformer is center tapped to earth and would fail to trip an RCD
Means jack shit to me, maybe one of our esteemed electrical brothers could clarify.............or ..............maybe even offer a test & tag service to us hard done to tradies???
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:27 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 trannies here
I was gonna say, how open of you! ... but I see the jokes been had!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cresta57
I brought all mine as well Steve & couldn't get them tested & tagged up here so I replaced them all with Aussie stuff.
Then a couple of years back a chippy on the Gold Coast posted that he'd got all of his 110v tested & tagged by a bloke down there.
I don't know if it's a legit deal as the reply I had from the powers that be was that a transformer is center tapped to earth and would fail to trip an RCD
Means jack shit to me, maybe one of our esteemed electrical brothers could clarify.............or ..............maybe even offer a test & tag service to us hard done to tradies???
Yer I was told, similar, and still ahve em somewhere in a sealed box for posterity !!!

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I was gonna say, how open of you! ... but I see the jokes been had!
LOL thanks Mate