Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Question regarding a van/car accessory I need

Question regarding a van/car accessory I need

Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:48 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Question Question regarding a van/car accessory I need

You know when you see a vehicle and it has a roof rack then a sort of u shape on a pole at the front of the vehicle, to extend the use of the roofrack......what are those u shapes on a pole called? I have tried a whole number of options searching on google, but to no avail. The reason I ask is my friend wants to put one on the front of his van, to enable him to carry long pipe lengths. Kind of like this pic but attached to the front bumper and not the back.......if that makes sense.

Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:29 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding a van/car accessory I need

Thought they were called ladder racks. Best ask a tradie when you see one with it, and get the details. Expect most are custom made to meet the users requirements
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
You know when you see a vehicle and it has a roof rack then a sort of u shape on a pole at the front of the vehicle, to extend the use of the roofrack......what are those u shapes on a pole called? I have tried a whole number of options searching on google, but to no avail. The reason I ask is my friend wants to put one on the front of his van, to enable him to carry long pipe lengths. Kind of like this pic but attached to the front bumper and not the back.......if that makes sense.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Weatherguard/1450.gif
halo rack?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:16 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by datamile
Thought they were called ladder racks. Best ask a tradie when you see one with it, and get the details. Expect most are custom made to meet the users requirements
Thanks for that he only needs one though not two, as he has an existing roof rack, this u shape ensembel would allow him to carry stuff on the roof rack, but have it go all the way to the front of the vehicle well supported, instead of hanging over a roof rack.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:33 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got one for my Ute, I salvaged it from my last one & haven't fitted it yet, it's a "round to it job". It's just a piece of 1 1/2" box section that bolts to the front of the chassis leg & sits the same hight as the roof bars. The upright bit is removable as they're illegal if not in use [QLD]
A decent fabricator would make one for a few bucks, I think mine cost a carton of XXXX heavy.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:31 pm
Karma earned, not whored

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've got one for my Ute, I salvaged it from my last one & haven't fitted it yet, it's a "round to it job". It's just a piece of 1 1/2" box section that bolts to the front of the chassis leg & sits the same hight as the roof bars. The upright bit is removable as they're illegal if not in use [QLD]
A decent fabricator would make one for a few bucks, I think mine cost a carton of XXXX heavy.
Thanks for that, so it sounds as if they arent available from car accessory shops then. I will have a hunt round and try and find someone to make it. Cheers
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Thanks for that, so it sounds as if they arent available from car accessory shops then. I will have a hunt round and try and find someone to make it. Cheers
I think you may get them from somewhere like Bluey's Utes, trouble is they need to line through so that they are the same hight as the existing roof bars.
I just spoke to our local plumber who had one made last week for his new Ute. It cost him $165 inc GST.
If your Ute has a bullbar it's cheaper as they just weld a socket [short tube] onto the top of the bar & the upright then drops in & secures with a wing nut.
I looked for a photo & this is the best I have, it may help others with the description:

Last edited by cresta57; Jul 30th 2008 at 7:04 am.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:28 am
Karma earned, not whored

Originally Posted by cresta57
I think you may get them from somewhere like Bluey's Utes, trouble is they need to line through so that they are the same hight as the existing roof bars.
I just spoke to our local plumber who had one made last week for his new Ute. It cost him $165 inc GST.
If your Ute has a bullbar it's cheaper as they just weld a socket [short tube] onto the top of the bar & the upright then drops in & secures with a wing nut.
I looked for a photo & this is the best I have, it may help others with the description:

Thanks for that, yes thats what he is looking for, but just half of that, i.e. one upright then a u shape at the top of it to sit the same height as the roof rack and in front of the passenger side of the van, he has a small van and not a ute, so there would probably need to be some sort of modification to the van, as the bumper takes up all the space where the proposed bar would go.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:43 am
Karma earned, not whored

Tried today to get one made with not much success, does anyone know anyone (NOR, Perth) who makes such an item ?