Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do to in case of a car accident in Australia?

What do to in case of a car accident in Australia?

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

katietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What do to in case of a car accident in Australia?

You need to check with your specific state laws. In Queensland, you must call the police if more than a specific value of damage has been caused (I think its $2000). It doesn't take much to cause $2000 worth of damage at all, especially if any sort of bodywork needs doing.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You should read the paperwork that came with your insurance policy regarding what to do in the event of an accident.
Thank you . Good help
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by katietops01
You need to check with your specific state laws. In Queensland, you must call the police if more than a specific value of damage has been caused (I think its $2000). It doesn't take much to cause $2000 worth of damage at all, especially if any sort of bodywork needs doing.
Thank you
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote my car off, my fault, no one had any injuries and neither of us called the police and the insurance company never asked if we had. Definitely more than $2000 worth of damage.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:59 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

In Queensland you have to report a crash to the Police if a person is injured or killed, if a vehicle needs to be towed, or if it causes damage up to $2,500 of property other than the driver's vehicle.

Otherwise you don't need to report it to Police, just exchange details with the other party and inform your insurance company.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
In Queensland you have to report a crash to the Police if a person is injured or killed, if a vehicle needs to be towed, or if it causes damage up to $2,500 of property other than the driver's vehicle.

Otherwise you don't need to report it to Police, just exchange details with the other party and inform your insurance company.
Oh ok, I managed to nurse mine home and all the other guy had was a bent mudguard
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:22 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You should read the paperwork that came with your insurance policy regarding what to do in the event of an accident.
good point dorothy i`d just add the words

very very carefully

our car was shunted whilst parked ( we were stood next to it fishing at the time )
got the ladies name, address, date of birth, licence and insurance details
so youd think i`d coverd it
nope
when i spoke to suncorp they said i would have to pay $400 excess
wtf? why??
you havent provided the other vechile owners telephone number
paragraph abc clause dar de dar in your insurance handbook
had a quick look and yep there is was in case of an accident failure to get the other drivers telephone number $400 excess charge
as i had her address i shot around to the ladies house and got her number called suncorp back and they squished the 400 buck excess
so read the small print

regards steve
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much everybody.... GREAT HELP....
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:42 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

And DON'T deal directly with the other party.

Mrs Wol was backed into last year in the supermarket carpark: $1000 damage. The old girl who did it gave all details - address, phone no., licence etc, and admitted that she was to blame.

Claim put in.

Then several phone conversations with the perp's family - who denied the lady had even been in the carpark and had nothing to do with it!

AAMI then declined to pay because it didn't happen on the road!

Cut a long story short we were told that this happens all the time here - people denying being anything to do with an accident even when you have all their details, freely given. Beggars belief.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
And DON'T deal directly with the other party.

Mrs Wol was backed into last year in the supermarket carpark: $1000 damage. The old girl who did it gave all details - address, phone no., licence etc, and admitted that she was to blame.

Claim put in.

Then several phone conversations with the perp's family - who denied the lady had even been in the carpark and had nothing to do with it!

AAMI then declined to pay because it didn't happen on the road!

Cut a long story short we were told that this happens all the time here - people denying being anything to do with an accident even when you have all their details, freely given. Beggars belief.
My view is that noone should ever admit fault. Leave that to the insurance company to sort out. You should never need to talk to the other party.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:49 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I always carry a small camera in the car in case of accidents, I photograph the car and placement and get the other person to admit fault in writing a witness or two always helps as well

I found the camera to be invaluable for idiots who then try to deny involvement
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I always carry a small camera in the car in case of accidents, I photograph the car and placement and get the other person to admit fault in writing a witness or two always helps as well

I found the camera to be invaluable for idiots who then try to deny involvement
How do you get them to admit fault?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:55 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
How do you get them to admit fault?
with great difficulty

but in my last 2 prangs with idiots I was in nurses uniform and it must have jogged their conscience besides all the witnesses running over saying I saw him hit you sister I'll be your witness
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
with great difficulty

but in my last 2 prangs with idiots I was in nurses uniform and it must have jogged their conscience besides all the witnesses running over saying I saw him hit you sister I'll be your witness
What happens when you're out of your nurses uniform?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by spartacus
What happens when you're out of your nurses uniform?
She gets even more people offering help, and possibly even more people backing into her

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.