Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What car shall I get?

What car shall I get?

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default What car shall I get?

Currently driving the comfy reliable yawn-mobile that is a 2009 Toyota Camry. Just like me, it is starting to feel its age. We are starting to maybe think about considering a new car. Perhaps...

Two growing boys, so need space. I thought I liked the idea of a Hyundai Tuscon - but the boots in those things, and similar cars, actually seem smaller that the Camry. The Camry boot doesn't have the height of an SUV, but it does go fairly deep.

We're starting to consider an estate (they call them wagons here?) but I don't see many on the road to at least compare looks. Is there a reason why I don't see estate cars? Are SUVs just more popular these days?

Obviously we want to keep insurance and maintenance costs down - I'm wondering if this a good argument for an estate car. I presume SUVs have bigger tyres etc, and their bigger bulk, more drag, affects fuel economy?

Finally - where to buy. We're 300K N of Melbourne. I've heard people out here sometimes make the effort to buy from Sydney or Melbourne, saving a good $5,000-$10,000 in the process. Is this normal/reasonable?

Cheers
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 6:19 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car shall I get?

For similar reasons to yours (kids getting bigger etc) I went for a Skoda Superb wagon a few months ago. Compared it against the Mazda 6, VW Passat, Audi A4 wagons, but the Skoda came with more kit, more space (huge inside!) and was cheaper overall. Also got the Sportline version which has a 206kw engine lifted from the Golf R and 4x4 drive system, so goes OK as well. Very highly rated in the UK, but was a bit concerned about re-sale here as Skoda not a big brand, but when you get one it is surprising how many others you see, and I read somewhere that their sales in Australia are increasing year on year, and it was Drive's Car of the Year '17 https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...-162tsi-116154 .

The only thing I would check out for your location is availability of dealer servicing. I got a 3 year service package with mine and a dealership is not too far away.

Even comes with the heated rear window for those times when it needs a push start in winter - before someone comes up with a Skoda joke! TBH, never saw myself getting a Skoda, but it was the best of the bunch this time round.

If the Superb is too big, have a look at the Octavia wagon as well. Had one as a hire car in the UK and was impressed how well it went and how much could get in the boot area.

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; Feb 23rd 2019 at 6:22 am. Reason: Add detail.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
TBH, never saw myself getting a Skoda, but it was the best of the bunch this time round.
Yes, actually, thanks for the Skoda reminder. I look at them the same as Hyundai now. Both used to be pretty pants, but have really got their act together. Have seen Skodas parked up in a couple of the shopping centres here (how they get them in and out is a mystery to me...) but anyway I've commented to the missus that I quite like them now.

I'll have to look into parts and servicing costs here - I assume parts have to come from Europe, as opposed to Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, etc which are comparatively close..?
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow those Skoda Superb wagons are much more expensive than I was expecting.

2015 SKODA OCTAVIA STYLE DSG 110TDI NE MY16 asking price $43,000. Was hoping for under-$30,000.

Similar car, but 268km away .. $34,000. Country car dealerships seem to think they can bump up the price just because of location?
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 12:21 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Subaru Outback? Probably a bit out of your price range but ours has been rock solid and loads of space.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Subaru Outback? Probably a bit out of your price range but ours has been rock solid and loads of space.
Yes another good suggestion. Like them too, but sadly over $ I think, unless we get an old one but that defeats the purpose of replacing an already old (2009) car.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 10:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Hyundai ix35 which is the same as the Tuscon. Love it, Has plenty of room for everything I've needed - I move cats around in cat carriers and crates a fair bit.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, having stated that I don't see many estate/wagon cars on the road around here, of course I am now seeing them everywhere!
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I also live in the regions and it is normal for people to take the savings in the capital city. Our cars have all come from Perth.

As you are in the regions - can I suggest a Holden.

The "Australian Made for Australian Conditions" commercials seem campy (especially as I think they are now Australian-designed but Korean-made?). But my Holden is 5-0 against kangaroos while my wife's Asian car folds like a tent and gets towed to the shop. So I think there is something to the "Australian designed" thing.

It wouldn't make a difference if you were driving it mostly in Melbourne, but you won't be.

Same reason I would think twice about a SUV . . . check that you are buying one that doesn't roll easily . . . windy country roads, a lot of gravel roads in the regions, and you never know what is going to come dashing out of the bush with no warning . . .