Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is better in Australia compared to the UK?

What is better in Australia compared to the UK?

Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is better in Australia compared to the UK?

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Magners is Irish!
Bulmers is, Magners isn't sold in Ireland.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:42 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Bulmers is, Magners isn't sold in Ireland.
Bulmers Ireland (that makes Magners) is Irish.

The English Bulmers is a different company.

They both make terrible cider though.

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Dec 6th 2009 at 12:45 am.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:48 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its kak though, cos it just dilutes the cider. Personally I'd rather have the taste of pure cider rather than cider-flavoured water. Aussies serve all cider with mountains of ice and it really does spoil it.
Ah yer a scrumpy girl at heart Polly
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:59 am
Just Joined

charlesriley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi,

Please don't come down on me like a ton of bricks . Been in Aus nearly a month and I do like Australia but we are still in limbo. The sunshine is wonderful that's for sure and the beaches beautiful! Houses are bigger also. My daughters school is not that great, food is expensive compared to UK in my opinion and it's surprising as almost everything is grown right here! Meat and especially beef is cheaper but everything else isn't. Compared to our deal with Virgin Internet is a luxury here! Cars are cheaper and much nicer in England. In Aus they are a luxury and you can end up paying thousands for a banger that can't make it to the traffic lights. I have no idea how car seats here are even deemed safe for your kids. We are were lucky to bring ours over but I don't see how a piece of material covering a polystyrene cut out is even a little bit safe!

These are just a few thoughts and not a moan . Open to you.

Cheers.
You need to go and see a financal advisor ASAP and get a good accountant. Its insane how much money you can get back at the end of the tax year. Car, internet, home office space, rent, repairs, dry cleaning, car wash.
There is also a first time buyers grant between 7-14k and you can claim back interest on investments

Agreed some things are more expensive but when i lived in Aus previously I was claiming 15-20k a year back.

You should have made it clear you intend to go back to the UK after the 4 years if your on a 457 visa. This way you get living away from home allowence from the government. Your employer has to organise this. They pay a % of your rent, food bills.

So many more tax breaks than the uk if your smart.

The rest takes time but you will come to realise its a better country to raise your children than the UK.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to agree - also had a G&T this afternoon.
I've always been a G&T girl but have run out of gin and the boys haven't done a booze run for a while so have resorted to Vodka and Tonic. I've discovered it's not too bad and it doesn't seem to give me the hangover I get from gin these days.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, they just don't get it, do they!

Eh dont knock it you would have been hard pushed getting Vindaloo anywhere in Aus 15 years ago.

Still on a learning curve. It'll happen

Best thing about Aus.

The general positive outlook about everything.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:17 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Eh dont knock it you would have been hard pushed getting Vindaloo anywhere in Aus 15 years ago.
I was quite partial to vindaloo in Aus of 40 years ago until it was supplanted by a torrent of other nicer cuisines.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Ah yer a scrumpy girl at heart Polly
Quite definitely I do like Magners (which as Lord F says, is Irish) and the English Bulmers, when I can get them here. We could get Scrumpy Jack here for a while, that was the best of the three.
Heaven is going back to Middle Farm in Sussex and tasting some of their huge range of real cider - have to do it at the beginning of the holiday though, to give myself maximum time to drink the ones I buy! And no ice in sight
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Ayers Rock . . . sorry Uluru . . .
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:27 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Ayers Rock . . . sorry Uluru . . .
Yeah I know, it's shit in the UK.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
On that basis, Surfers here is better than Surfers in the UK
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney Harbour Bridge.

There's a distinct lack of big 'things' in the UK. Where's the big banana, the big pineapple, the big prawn, the big guitar, the big Ned Kelly? . . . I could go on, but hopefully you get my point . . .

Last edited by spartacus; Dec 7th 2009 at 11:21 am.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:23 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Not that bad......

http://www.ayersrock.co.uk/
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:25 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
Sydney Harbour Bridge.

There's a distinct lack of big 'things' in the UK. Where's the big banana, the big pineapple, the big prawn, the big guitar, the big Ned Kelly? . . . I could go on, but hopefully you get my point . . .
The "big banana", relocated to Brissy some time ago
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
The cleanliness of everything (of course there are exceptions), but on the whole.

The way everything seems to be fixed up real quick, general maintenance of roadways, gardens etc kind of thing.

Someone else said this and it rang true for me.....The light quality at different times of day and the 'big' sky.

The optimism of the place, and the feel that if you are willing to put in the hard graft almost anything is possible.

The sense of Community and (on the whole) high moral standards.

Attention to asthetic detail .....why have a boring motorway bridge when you can have intricate detailing, lighting or a mural.

The hippy enviromental feel......recycling bins for public rubbish, natural remedies thing, massage,yoga etc...

The overall quality and presentation of restaurant meals, the disappointing ones I could count on one hand after 5 years here.

The birds (feathered)

The feeling that you are at the mercy of Nature....rather exhilarating....O.K this could be a bad thing lol!

'Rugging up' in the Winter evenings and mornings......but enjoying crisp sun during the day.

The beautiful blue of the sea.

Drains on the floor in bathrooms instead of carpet.

Separate Laundry rooms as the norm.

Why make it hard when it doesn't need to be attitude (not applicable where licences and 'red-tape' are involved)

The virile looking men in rather small work shorts (for the woman observer of course)

Tasty fruit and veg (and sold predominantly when in Season)

The rock music culture ....O.K better call it a day, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel there lol!

Jan
wow, your good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.