Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is better in Australia compared to the UK?

What is better in Australia compared to the UK?

Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is better in Australia compared to the UK?

Originally Posted by quoll
Back on topic - the car parking spaces are wider and the coffee is better although UK is definitely catching up with the coffee.
Where? Certainly not in my experience, unless you are referring to a single shop in Soho run by New Zealanders.

For me, Australia has the following things that are much better (Melbourne anyway)

Coffee
Food quality and freshness
Quality and number of restaurants and cafes
Pub rock bands (nightlife in general suits me better)
More reliable and longer summers
Milder winter
More space for everything - homes, shops, parking.
General ease of doing things
Generally friendlier people and customer service (They may be thick as, but at least they are smiley and positive about it)

I could probably make a list of things better in the UK that is longer, but on the balance of things I prefer it here. And in my experience it takes time, been here 12 months and I think it's taken me that long to get used to many things here and accept them.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Are you referring to where you live or just generally?

Plenty of ol' fat ducks in England.
Yes, there does seem to be a big difference here - many larger or older British women seem to have no shame about showing skin. I'm sure Australia has just as many slappers but at least here they don't seem to want to make the eyes of the males suffer as much.

Summer in the more cosmopolitan and metropolitan areas such as Sydney & Melbourne affords some simply stunning views.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Do the shopping trolleys have fixed back wheels in Oz or are they same as the UK?
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

well, I had to think long and hard but I came up with it in the end.........

Cyclones !!

Just comparing job prospects, I realised over here I spend half the year living, breathing and dreaming cyclones, storms and floods. Not saying that the UK doesn't have them, but Aus does them all on a bigger scale with generally more widespread devastation.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Where do you want to start, and how long have you got?

Start where you like and I have loads of time while trying to find a job that is
Old Dec 5th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
We are were lucky to bring ours over but I don't see how a piece of material covering a polystyrene cut out is even a little bit safe!
Expanded Polystyrene is a superb shock absorber and has great mechanical protection properties, it actually absorbs shocks better than Impact Copolymer Polypropylene (ICP) - which is what other seats will be made of.

More importantly it's the correct harnessing and installation of car seats that is vital in restraining kids, not the material it's made of. Where Australia possibly lags is with Isofix, but correctly installed car seats shouldn't be much different from an Isofix one.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

What is better - the climate -

Would rather drive to Asda and get a box of Stella for 9 quid than drive into a cool drivethrough and pay $45!

Just bought a bottle of Moet for xmas $85 - on offer in Asda again for 18 quid!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kendalanita
What is better - the climate -

Would rather drive to Asda and get a box of Stella for 9 quid than drive into a cool drivethrough and pay $45!

Just bought a bottle of Moet for xmas $85 - on offer in Asda again for 18 quid!
You were had, should be able to get that for $55-60.

£18 is exceptionally low though, it rarely goes below £24-25
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:16 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunshine Coast: Weather. Beaches. Less judgemental. People are friendly and easy going. I can grow tropical fruit trees. Kookaburras. Cattle Dogs. Diving (scuba that is). Kids stay younger for longer.

UK: No water restrictions. Social. You can have a laugh and sing in the pubs. Friends and family. Clothes shopping. radio and tv choice. countryside. No snakes. humour
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi,

Please don't come down on me like a ton of bricks . Been in Aus nearly a month and I do like Australia but we are still in limbo. The sunshine is wonderful that's for sure and the beaches beautiful! Houses are bigger also. My daughters school is not that great, food is expensive compared to UK in my opinion and it's surprising as almost everything is grown right here! Meat and especially beef is cheaper but everything else isn't. Compared to our deal with Virgin Internet is a luxury here! Cars are cheaper and much nicer in England. In Aus they are a luxury and you can end up paying thousands for a banger that can't make it to the traffic lights. I have no idea how car seats here are even deemed safe for your kids. We are were lucky to bring ours over but I don't see how a piece of material covering a polystyrene cut out is even a little bit safe!

These are just a few thoughts and not a moan . Open to you.

Cheers.
What is better for some won't be better for others. The only things i thought were better in OZ was the sunshine and....................the meat.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of things I guess and lots of things are probably better in the UK, no idea what rocks your boat.

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Do the shopping trolleys have fixed back wheels in Oz or are they same as the UK?
That's made me think. I honestly don't remember having a dodgy trolley here, whenever I was in a supermarket in the UK the trolley would always try and go somewhere different to me. Could be me being unlucky in the UK and lucky here though
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by viviennef
UK: No water restrictions. Social. You can have a laugh and sing in the pubs. Friends and family. Clothes shopping. radio and tv choice. countryside. No snakes. humour
Wrong on the snakes ! I've only ever been bitten by one deadly snake, and spent one week in hospital after it, and that was in Cornwall, UK

Not sure about the water restrictions bit either, I could swear that the UK does have them at times.

Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:17 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Wrong on the snakes ! I've only ever been bitten by one deadly snake, and spent one week in hospital after it, and that was in Cornwall, UK

Not sure about the water restrictions bit either, I could swear that the UK does have them at times.
Stats man on the water restrictions we need stats.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Course they do, hosepipe bans are very frequent in the summer. And plenty of us remember standpipes in the street in 1976......
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:25 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Course they do, hosepipe bans are very frequent in the summer. And plenty of us remember standpipes in the street in 1976......
We never had a guy called Stan pipe in our street in 76

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.