Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The West Australian baffled by new technology...

The West Australian baffled by new technology...

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:10 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default The West Australian baffled by new technology...

So I settle down with Saturday's West Australian (the only day we buy the thing, just for the jobs and What's On listings), and there's an article about a guy who bought a load of second hand PCs at auction and found they held a lot of information about a company that crashed in 2007. Anyway, in amongst the general shock-horror-company-may-have-done-bad-things is a short half-column piece about the guy who picked up the second hand PCs. Pity it's not online or I'd link to it, but here, for those who are IT literate, is the West Australian's attempt to explain how the evidence was found:

"The hard drive was gone so when I booted it up I didn't expect much to happen" [said Henk Beugelaar, the Internet Cafe owner who bought the PCs] "But suddenly there was all this noise and that's when I realized the scuzzies were still inside and that this had been the Internet server"

So far so amusing... but then the crack journalistic team attempt to explain the complex terminology for their readers.

Scuzzies are small interface storage devices found in computer towers. They had captured thousands of emails and other documents beng sent to and from the computer of Firepower founder Tim Johnson.

From now on, I shall be sure to warn people to wipe down their computers, in case the scuzzies capture their emails.

Cheers
b
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:19 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The West Australian baffled by new technology...

I wonder how he knew they were scuzzies and not IDE ?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
So I settle down with Saturday's West Australian (the only day we buy the thing, just for the jobs and What's On listings), and there's an article about a guy who bought a load of second hand PCs at auction and found they held a lot of information about a company that crashed in 2007. Anyway, in amongst the general shock-horror-company-may-have-done-bad-things is a short half-column piece about the guy who picked up the second hand PCs. Pity it's not online or I'd link to it, but here, for those who are IT literate, is the West Australian's attempt to explain how the evidence was found:

"The hard drive was gone so when I booted it up I didn't expect much to happen" [said Henk Beugelaar, the Internet Cafe owner who bought the PCs] "But suddenly there was all this noise and that's when I realized the scuzzies were still inside and that this had been the Internet server"

So far so amusing... but then the crack journalistic team attempt to explain the complex terminology for their readers.

Scuzzies are small interface storage devices found in computer towers. They had captured thousands of emails and other documents beng sent to and from the computer of Firepower founder Tim Johnson.

From now on, I shall be sure to warn people to wipe down their computers, in case the scuzzies capture their emails.

Cheers
b
Sorry you've lost me . . .
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:33 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

So I settle down...
And in next week's paper we ask - can you catch a virus from your PC?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:22 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
And in next week's paper we ask - can you catch a virus from your PC?
A financial guru on the ABC at lunchtime:

No no no, the inflation genie is definitely not out of the bottle, we're just having trouble getting him back in.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
A financial guru on the ABC at lunchtime:

No no no, the inflation genie is definitely not out of the bottle, we're just having trouble getting him back in.
If I here one more politician use the term 'I'm afraid there's no silver bullet for ...' I shall . . . crush a grape.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:31 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
If I here one more politician use the term 'I'm afraid there's no silver bullet for ...' I shall . . . crush a grape.
My favourite abuse of English so far encountered in Australia is:

The Atherton Sexual Abuse Service

I keep wanting to phone them up and ask how much their rapes are.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
b
Yeah I loved that. He's obviously had to dig about to find what the word meant. Someone has said it's SCSI and then he's google and found the definition but forgotten about the original.

Why didn't he just say 'hard drive ? Yet another stunning example of the quality journalism at the West.

Another important point - don't unplug your network cable as the bits will fall out onto the floor.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:38 am
Demi-God

Originally Posted by spartacus
Silver bullets come from smoking guns.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:52 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Yeah I loved that. He's obviously had to dig about to find what the word meant. Someone has said it's SCSI and then he's google and found the definition but forgotten about the original.
Nah, I don't think he'd even Googled. He's taped or taken notes of the interview and just written it down as it's pronounced: "scuzzy". And then he's asked the interviewee what SCSI means, heard "Small Computer System Interface" and scribbled a few of those words down. After all, it's just geek talk, so the actual words can't be important, can they?

Actually... it's worse: there are two reporters' names on the byeline. How many West Australian reporters does it take to <insert your own joke here>?

Cheers
b
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Cyberbitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hia Guys, this is Henk Beugelaar - the guy who found the Firepower Server Computer (Tim Johnston)

The facts are that they had taken out the hard drives but forgot to take out the SCSI drives, there was 3 in a small black box.

I investigated this company for 3 months and did a hard copy print for the Australian Government, about 2500 pages I think. This is only a small portion of what is on there.

If you want to have a copy of this I have posted it on the net at;

http://www.mininova.org/tor/3158221
and
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5166471

These are complete copies of 6 years history of the Firepower Company and Tim Johnston from the server.

PLEASE SEED!

Henk