Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

ways to give up the smokes

ways to give up the smokes

Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ways to give up the smokes

I stopped after more years than you lot have been alive by simply deciding that I was not going to smoke anymore. That was 17 months ago and despite,at times feeling I could do with a smoke I haven't. You just have to want to stop to succeed.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:59 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The book is deep but it's not inaccessible, there is a PDF kicking around the web somewhere if you want a sample.

I was kind of joking about the crack but I agree that nicotine addiction is mostly in the psychological.

The Power Of Habit is another book I'd recommend that touches on how we are mostly running on autopilot.
Could do with a book for weight loss that works as effectively as Alan Carr's stop smoking book did...
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Could do with a book for weight loss that works as effectively as Alan Carr's stop smoking book did...
Wired Jaw Cookbook

Rather extreme though.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Wired Jaw Cookbook

Rather extreme though.

Is that by the same author who wrote "foodless recipes for fatties"?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:48 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, well there is another story entirely ... I've read plenty of books on losing the blubber and various schemes and plans but I can conclude the following (and take this or leave it as you see fit):

- If you can't measure it, you can't manage it ... So, get into something like MyFitnessPal and get logging. Sounds dull but it isn't if you are of an analytical mindset like me. I run my life like an experiment.

- Whatever you do make it sustainable ... If you can't do it forever, don't bother. There are NO shortcuts, no magic pills, no magic food combinations, nothing. And yes, no low carbing.

- Make it a habit ... Be it food choices or exercise. Build it into your day. I walk for about an hour after work when I could just walk 5 mins to the nearest train station because I like it.

- Don't go too low energy gap wise ... the long view is always the best.

- You can't out-train bad nutrition ... Track it, be aware and adjust

- Get your protein (the more the better) and resistance train to maintain lean muscle mass in a caloric deficit.

No magic book but I can totally recommend hooking into MyFitnessPal ...
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:18 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Is that by the same author who wrote "foodless recipes for fatties"?
Author unknown.
He was asked but no-one could understand him.
They nicknamed him Dribble though.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bix
Author unknown.
He was asked but no-one could understand him.
They nicknamed him Dribble though.
Aren't you confusing him with with that famous food abstainer: I.M Drooling?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:43 am
Banned

Ah, well there is another story entirely ... I've read plenty of books on losing the blubber and various schemes and plans but I can conclude the following (and take this or leave it as you see fit):

- If you can't measure it, you can't manage it ... So, get into something like MyFitnessPal and get logging. Sounds dull but it isn't if you are of an analytical mindset like me. I run my life like an experiment.

- Whatever you do make it sustainable ... If you can't do it forever, don't bother. There are NO shortcuts, no magic pills, no magic food combinations, nothing. And yes, no low carbing.

- Make it a habit ... Be it food choices or exercise. Build it into your day. I walk for about an hour after work when I could just walk 5 mins to the nearest train station because I like it.

- Don't go too low energy gap wise ... the long view is always the best.

- You can't out-train bad nutrition ... Track it, be aware and adjust

- Get your protein (the more the better) and resistance train to maintain lean muscle mass in a caloric deficit.

No magic book but I can totally recommend hooking into MyFitnessPal ...
Thanks, never heard of MyFitnessPal before. I'll give it a go.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

There's one online called Fitday too. You have to be log on online for the free version, but you can buy a copy that stores to your pc. Tracks diet, exercise, weight, stats, mood - the lot. You just have to be motivated to use it
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

I feel for the OP. I gave up when I was 27 during a bad bout of flu (real flu not a cold). A younger family member gave up herion easily but still can't ditch the smokes.

It's a bit sad that many people, especially women, spend a fortune on clothes, bling, hairstyles, makeup, diets, exercise, but still stink the room out when they walk into it.

Female family friend stayed for a couple of weeks and even though she only smoked out on the patio, we had to chuck the duvet and pillows as they were vile, even after airing it in the sun for a week
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, "friend me" on there if you get that far. Friend me ... what a silly phrase.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There's one online called Fitday too. You have to be log on online for the free version, but you can buy a copy that stores to your pc. Tracks diet, exercise, weight, stats, mood - the lot. You just have to be motivated to use it
Oh yeh, the motivation thing.

I am motivated by being even more awesome than I am right now, it's going to be a stretch but I'll get there.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:40 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, "friend me" on there if you get that far. Friend me ... what a silly phrase.

Oh yeh, the motivation thing.

I am motivated by being even more awesome than I am right now, it's going to be a stretch but I'll get there.
You make me smile DV
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:33 pm
Mostly Harmless

You make me smile DV
1 out of 13,987 isn't a bad hit ratio.

I'm going to be posting more over here, I have given too much of myself to the MFP forums and there is only so many times you can read thread titles like "Will eating after 6pm make me fat?", "I'VE PLATOED!!!", "Binging, what do I do?" and "Do Raspberry Ketones Work?" before losing the will to live.

"No", "Get a spell-checker, a life and a sense of perspective", "Don't do it again", "Only for those selling them" are the correct answers by the way.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:37 pm

1 out of 13,987 isn't a bad hit ratio.

I'm going to be posting more over here, I have given too much of myself to the MFP forums and there is only so many times you can read thread titles like "Will eating after 6pm make me fat?", "I'VE PLATOED!!!", "Binging, what do I do?" and "Do Raspberry Ketones Work?" before losing the will to live.

"No", "Get a spell-checker, a life and a sense of perspective", "Don't do it again", "Only for those selling them" are the correct answers by the way.
No I think the ratio is 2 / 13987 - sure I've said it before
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

You make me smile DV

I didn't know he was Steve Harley.

Me too BTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.