Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

ways to give up the smokes

Wikiposts

ways to give up the smokes

Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ways to give up the smokes

Originally Posted by paulry
I've just done a search on Champix and its side effects can be even more distressing.
Side effect of smoking is death
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:45 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I second all the above post. I also gave up cold turkey having smoked a pack a day for 25 years. I read that giving up smoking for a nicotine addict was even more difficult than for a heroin addict to give up heroin.

Here's one of many reports on the net...

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/29/ma...ted=all&src=pm

With this understanding, I accepted it would be a journey, one day at a time, with the first two weeks the most difficult, to break the physical addiction.

Each day I just told myself to just get to the end of a fortnight... and then each day became easier.

For two years I kept my last two remaining cigarettes in a box on the top shelf in the pantry. It was like a psychological safety net so I knew they were there "in case". (It took away the panic of not having any.) I stuffed my face as an alternative and accepted it was better (in the short term) than smoking.

Accept it will be hard... and just do it... one day at a time... with an initial focus on getting through the first two weeks any way you can. I have done this. Not one cigarette in over ten years.

If you are an addict, and you stop smoking, you should also understand you can't ever just have one cigarette... or even a puff... some time down the track. Remember, it's an addiction. Reformed junkies can't have heroin, sober alcoholics can't have a drink and ex-smokers can't have a cigarette.

It's difficult to quit... but once you know what you're dealing with, the achievement of beating the addiction is very satisfying.

Good Luck.

PS: Plan ahead and pick a significant date to stop - so you'll always remember the date you won!
Agreed. I meant to say, don't think to yourself I'm giving up smoking. It is a huge concept to think of 'forever'. Just think 'I'm not going to smoke today'. If one day is too hard, take it right back to an hour. Or even 'I'm not having that next cigarette'. Don't be afraid to take small steps, because those lead to the larger ones. One day at a time, and there will come a time where you will finally think 'I'm not going to ever smoke again'
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

mate on camp has got a copy of that book, I'll give it a go
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:34 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,try willpower,you'd be surprised how strong you can be,continuously think of the benefits to you and yer family(not the centerlink ones)and you'll walk it,bit of pain at times but hey it WON'T kill you
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:42 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Steve,try willpower,you'd be surprised how strong you can be,continuously think of the benefits to you and yer family(not the centerlink ones)and you'll walk it,bit of pain at times but hey it WON'T kill you
If you can convince yourself that you don't want to smoke then you can bypass the willpower bit as there is nothing to fight against.

I've tried willpower but deep down at the time I still wanted to smoke so it was fighting a losing battle.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:46 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
If you can convince yourself that you don't want to smoke then you can bypass the willpower bit as there is nothing to fight against.

I've tried willpower but deep down at the time I still wanted to smoke so it was fighting a losing battle.
Yeah,but yer a wimp
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Side effect of smoking is death
A side effect of life is death.

We are all going to die, everyone you know will die.

All the more reason to appreciate the present then.

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Yeah,but yer a wimp
Indeed.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:57 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

..be of the knowledge that you are a chuffing minger, clothes stink, breath stinks, teeth looking mingin and you spend too much money on cancer sticks.

YUK.

Aint that enough?
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I gave up two years ago after over thirty years of smoking thanks to Alan Carr and his 272 page book. I smoked my last fag while reading the last page and haven't looked back since. No withdrawals, no grouchiness - it was amazingly easy.
My SIL too. She was a pack a day smoker for 20+ years. She used Carr's book and is now 5 years smoke free.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:24 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I gave up alcohol after reading Alan Carr's book .I only wanted to cut down but by the time I had got through the first ten pages I was convinced not to drink again.The main thing that stuck in my mind was reading that alcohol was poison.That was enough for me.Haven't touched the stuff since.
The reviews on that book are pretty overwhelmingly 5 stars so he must be on to something. Alcohol is a toxin, so one has to be careful about its consumption. What surprised me was that those who drink moderately have a much lower chance of premature death than those who abstain completely. More shocking, was that heavy drinkers also had a lower chance of premature death than teetotallers. I often quit drinking for long periods to get in shape, but usually I drink very moderately. Congrats by the way. When you stop drinking for a long period you get a real clarity in your thoughts that most people don't experience.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

Remind me never to look at the drinking one, no no no it's soooo wrong
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Having said what I did above it's when I'm pissed that I'm most vulnerable and suggestable - for example, once went out for a couple, ended up smashed and storting coke off a toilet seat. May have to knock the beer on the head temporarily
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:03 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
..be of the knowledge that you are a chuffing minger, clothes stink, breath stinks, teeth looking mingin and you spend too much money on cancer sticks.

YUK.

Aint that enough?
Well, you see that kind of reasoning doesn't work with a proper smoker.

If you are a serious smoker dedicated to your art then having some self-righteous know nothing non-smoker tell you everything you already know is just going to make you reach for the cigs.

And be glad that, although you are addicted to nicotine, you can be infinitely comforted by the fact that at least you are not a self-righteous know nothing non-smoker (or even worse, ex-smoker).

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Having said what I did above it's when I'm pissed that I'm most vulnerable and suggestable - for example, once went out for a couple, ended up smashed and storting coke off a toilet seat. May have to knock the beer on the head temporarily
Switch to wine.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:11 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Well, you see that kind of reasoning doesn't work with a proper smoker.

If you are a serious smoker dedicated to your art then having some self-righteous know nothing non-smoker tell you everything you already know is just going to make you reach for the cigs.

And be glad that, although you are addicted to nicotine, you can be infinitely comforted by the fact that at least you are not a self-righteous know nothing non-smoker (or even worse, ex-smoker).
Much rather be a self-righteous know nothing non-smoker.

I can live with that.

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 21st 2013 at 8:27 pm. Reason: Fix quote
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

If I ever become a self rightious ex smoker, I'll start again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.