Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

ways to give up the smokes

ways to give up the smokes

Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:59 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ways to give up the smokes

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
If I ever become a self rightious ex smoker, I'll start again.
You could always just drink more booze
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:04 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Acupuncture is great, really helps you stop smoking, especially if they put the needles all around your mouth so you can't get a smoke in
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
You could always just drink more booze
Me liver's in a worse state than me lungs
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:50 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

So's mines, but then I don't smoke
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:01 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Having said what I did above it's when I'm pissed that I'm most vulnerable and suggestable - for example, once went out for a couple, ended up smashed and storting coke off a toilet seat. May have to knock the beer on the head temporarily
Blimey

Best to start by salvaging your liver then

If I ever become a self rightious ex smoker, I'll start again.
A great thing I found about the book method is I didn't become a self-righteous ex-smoker (and if I ever do, take me outside and shoot me!). Guiltily proud of my achievement perhaps (guilty because it unexpectedly turned out to be such an easy thing to do), but not self-righteous. The real test for how good the book is came during my recent family visit to Cape Town where I spent a lot of time amongst my sister, niece, nieces husband and cousins who all smoke. I didn't feel tempted once. I have never felt the need to dip back into the book either. For me it's been a miracle cure

For the book method I'd say all you need is the book and a genuine intent to stop smoking. I think it also helps if you are a bit of a rebel at heart - which I suspect fits your profile.

Last edited by paulry; Aug 22nd 2013 at 9:04 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim
A side effect of life is death.

We are all going to die, everyone you know will die.

All the more reason to appreciate the present then.

Indeed.
Don't yew dare sares thart. Shame on yew Mr Virm. Oi knowrs tharts a birg fat loi thart irs.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:58 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

my mother has recently given up a 60 year smoking habit with the aid of champix

she tried every other method first with no good results could give up for a few weeks, months but was always back on the habit she has now been smoke free for 1 year.

Yes for a few people the side effects can be bad, but for most people it's a bit of nausea that passes and a funny taste in the mouth. I think that's worth it if you really want to give up.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:01 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Don't yew dare sares thart. Shame on yew Mr Virm. Oi knowrs tharts a birg fat loi thart irs.
It's just physical death, nothing to worry about, you will always have the essence of your life immortalised on a British Expats server somewhere.

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:25 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

no amount of books or people telling you how dangerous or smelly or expensive it is..

its all down to willpower. Wake up one day and tell yourself you CAN do it and you will
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It's just physical death, nothing to worry about, you will always have the essence of your life immortalised on a British Expats server somewhere.

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I gotta be honest, just talking about it I seem to have cut right down, starting to feel a twang of guilt when I do spark up, odd
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta be honest, just talking about it I seem to have cut right down, starting to feel a twang of guilt when I do spark up, odd
Don't feel guilty.
Think about the extra taxes you're paying that fund medical research, health services, education and road building.

Carr's book worked for me too. Ultimately it is the individual that succeeds and you can call that personal willpower if you like but a whole lot of us failed with previous attempts and succeeded after reading the book so maybe a little help is useful.

The book does not attempt to hide the facts, does not preach and is somewhat repetitive yet for me and many others approaches the subject in an altogether different manner that assists you attain your goal.

I bought the book and didn't read it for about 12 months as the addicted voice in my head was telling me I would be deprived of me smokes after reading it. I should have read the first few pages earlier as that's exactly what Carr says is a possibility and why some do not finish the book. It is best to smoke as much as you want while reading it and have no fear of reaching the final page as whether you stop or not is purely your choice.

Personally I finished the book one early afternoon and stubbed my last one shortly afterwards. Could not imagine myself stopping part way through a day. Can't remember when now but I think it was a few months after Paulry.

Like him I am not self righteous ex smoker either. Doesn't come into the equation.

Sounds pathetic I know but on previous attempts I was a right bastard (apparently) and the family would end up buying me smokes cos they couldn't stand the change in me. This time round it was a bed of roses. Psychological I'm sure but there we have it.

Read the book Steve. Nothing to lose and maybe you'll gain.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:13 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Bix echoes my thoughts on the Carr method exactly ... It is possible for something to click where a previous struggle with willpower just isn't there anymore and 'giving it up' becomes almost trivial because you realise there is nothing good to give up.

But still you have to want to give up. The Carr book can feel repetitive but that is by design. It bedded in phrases and ideas for me that just come back as second nature when I find myself thinking about smoking, which I do sometimes, nicotine being what it is.

Why don't I 'give in'? Because I realise there is no good in it, no advantage, no stress relief, no escape from boredom. The only thing having a cig now could possible do is to start the dependant craving cycle all over again.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:18 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Carr got the psychology just right with that book. Goes to show what the human mind is capable of when given the right inputs
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:26 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by paulry
Carr got the psychology just right with that book. Goes to show what the human mind is capable of when given the right inputs
Indeed, I am very interested in this right now. You prime the mind with the correct stimulus/focus and let the subconscious take over and run the show.

Effectively getting the fark away from your own life and letting the natural course of events take over.

Currently reading The Road Less Travelled ... Very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.