Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WA Day Light Saving - Thumbs Down

WA Day Light Saving - Thumbs Down

Old May 17th 2009, 10:13 am
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA Day Light Saving - Thumbs Down

Originally Posted by spilko
lol how many of the 55% get up and exercise in the morning do you think ??

54%.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by northernlights
I'm gutted that the vote looks like a 'No'.

You are right, apart from family BBQ's on the beach of an evening there's little else. It's a shame for the tourist/cafe/restaurant industry. I guess we'll all have to have a family BBQ in the early hours before school/work around 5am.

I'm not sure it is bad for the cafe/restaurant industry. I have seen reports that DLS has led to people eating later etc leading to a drop in revenue (fewer drinks).

I feel most sorry for those who work and don't have the flexibility to change their hours. The No lobby managed to turn this into an attack on selfish business leaders and office workers who are trying to force unacceptable conditions on them. Yet it is them who are being most selfish. For example the farming/construction groups were both against it and yet their workers can be flexible and start work early/finish early and still enjoy the afternoon light. Most office workers have little flexibility and work until 4.30 or 5pm. That leaves little time in some months to enjoy the same light available to many of those voting No. Who are the selfish lot??

If all businesses showed the same flexibility then DLS wouldn't be required. Instead of DLS all businesses should adjust their start times by an hour. But no doubt the farmers would be up in arms if all the shops/banks etc shut at 4pm in summer.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NickyC
Don't you guys have electricity in Perth?

You can still eat at cafes and restaurants and have a barbie after dark you know. And it's not exactly a mammoth hardship having to turn the lights on at 7.30pm instead of 8.30, is it?
Guess you haven't visited Perth? It's a struggle social wise, anytime, never mind after dark. This is a state built on beach, river, outdoors entertainment. All well and good if you are a 'morning person' and only have your dog to walk to worry about.

Read a reader's letter in The West last week about daylight saving. He was a farmer and was saying how his chickens got 'contagious piles' from daylight saving and his chooks couldn't lay eggs. His Sheep refused to eat, etc, etc. Mmmn, makes you wonder how any farms survive near the eqautor with all that extra sunlight?
Old May 17th 2009, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gutted that the vote looks like a 'No'.

You are right, apart from family BBQ's on the beach of an evening there's little else. It's a shame for the tourist/cafe/restaurant industry. I guess we'll all have to have a family BBQ in the early hours before school/work around 5am.
How can it be a shame for the tourism etc industry? You are simply reverting to how it has been previous to the last 2/3 years? The tourism industry managed quite happily before they tried it, I'm sure they will now.

Had I had a vote (don't live there) I would have voted no. If we have a vote over here I will vote no. I am an evening/night person but I honestly don't care one way or another. My life continues whether it's dark or light. I walk the beach in the dark - it's fab, I eat outside with either candlelight or electric light, my kids do evening activities - flood lights go on half way through. Why do people think that life stops when the sun goes down?
Old May 17th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
What you people dont seem to realise is that its a healthier lifestyle if you get up early in the morning. Get up and go for a jog and start the day fresh.

Those who want these long nights tend to want it for unhealthy habits such as drinking and eating out(e.g. pigging out)

Early mornings are the way to go.
I work in the construction industry and get up at 5.15 each day to be on site at 7 ready for work, we cannot start work before 7am. So the lighter evenings are better for me and my family to have precious time together, i doubt they would appreciate getting up at 4.30am for a run or a swim with the dogs before school or work,
Wa needs to move with the rest of the world, as much as they like to think ¨But¨ the world does not revolve round Wa.
Old May 17th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

Guess you haven't visited Perth? It's a struggle social wise, anytime, never mind after dark. This is a state built on beach, river, outdoors entertainment. All well and good if you are a 'morning person' and only have your dog to walk to worry about.

Read a reader's letter in The West last week about daylight saving. He was a farmer and was saying how his chickens got 'contagious piles' from daylight saving and his chooks couldn't lay eggs. His Sheep refused to eat, etc, etc. Mmmn, makes you wonder how any farms survive near the eqautor with all that extra sunlight?
Well that about sums up some of the farmers ¨thick as f**K¨ , far too much inbreeding in close knit communities.
All got pointy heads and a club foot
Old May 17th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dennis The Menace
Well that about sums up some of the farmers ¨thick as f**K¨ , far too much inbreeding in close knit communities.
All got pointy heads and a club foot
I take it from your above statement you have been to Merridin, Southern Cross and Westonia, We found them very different

Nicky
Old May 17th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
What you people dont seem to realise is that its a healthier lifestyle if you get up early in the morning. Get up and go for a jog and start the day fresh.

Those who want these long nights tend to want it for unhealthy habits such as drinking and eating out(e.g. pigging out)

Early mornings are the way to go.
As a very early riser, I get up at 5am every day and am out with my dogs. I believe daylight saving is just the dogs gonads. I can get home from work (at about 6pm) and still have a couple of hours of daylight to work on my property.

Barney
Old May 17th 2009, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Backward.
nwod sbmuht - gnivas thgil yad AW.

Better?
Old May 17th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

Well my hubby had to vote in this, waste of time there are more important things going on,

What a waste millons of $$$$$$$$$$ on a vote that was allways going to be a no.........WA dont like change
Old May 18th 2009, 2:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't occur to you that maybe, just maybe, he was having a joke? Taking the piss out of others who actually believe that stuff?
Old May 18th 2009, 2:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Didn't occur to you that maybe, just maybe, he was having a joke? Taking the piss out of others who actually believe that stuff?
One of the YES camp pretending to be a farmer.

An example comment from one of WA's northern parts was: maybe we should give the city DLS and the rest of the country can be normal..

Now, where have I heard that before

I can't imagine how anyone would think that chickens wouldn't lay eggs just because humans changed their clocks. Especially farmers who know a bit more about animals than most of us do.

Old May 18th 2009, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Maybe he was but the sad thing is it can be difficult to tell with the cockeys,can it not?
Must be the result of the occassional mumbled utterance through closed lips,would could mean anything really.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I take it from your above statement you have been to Merridin, Southern Cross and Westonia, We found them very different

Nicky
Could that be different degrees of boring, perhaps?
Old May 18th 2009, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Guess for the most it will remain the same.Summer evenings indoors with the aircon on in front of the telly watching other people living life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.