British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   VPN for BBC iplayer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/vpn-bbc-iplayer-901046/)

SoMostof Mar 13th 2019 7:26 am

Re: VPN for BBC iplayer

If you're using chrome, there's an extension called Wachee VPN. It works with iPlayer like charm.

Reasonable Nov 20th 2019 5:48 am

I have been able to download iplayer programs with a vpn but recently find that I get
"DASH manifest failed" and unable to download. Has anyone overcome this??

Cheers

Amazulu Nov 20th 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Reasonable (Post 12766383)
I have been able to download iplayer programs with a vpn but recently find that I get
"DASH manifest failed" and unable to download. Has anyone overcome this??

Cheers

I don't use a VPN, rather a DNS redirect (I'm not a fan of VPNs) and I get this sometimes. I just keep restarting the download and it always works

We watch the BBC most nights. Saw the last episode of World on Fire last night. Historically it's nonsense and full of revisionist and woke mumbo jumbo but as a drama it was superb. Avoid their new adaptation of the War of the World's - utter shite

johnwoo Nov 20th 2019 6:04 pm

I'm using Transponder TV, no need for vpn. I like it, althoug hit can be a bit buggy at times, but you can record and watch later.
It comes out of Oz I think.

https://www.transponder.tv/guide

Amazulu Nov 20th 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12766735)
I'm using Transponder TV, no need for vpn. I like it, althoug hit can be a bit buggy at times, but you can record and watch later.
It comes out of Oz I think.

https://www.transponder.tv/guide

Looks okay but kind of expensive - especially when all of that content is free to stream with a tiny bit of effort

Reasonable Nov 21st 2019 12:14 am

Which service do you use please?

Thanks

Amazulu Nov 21st 2019 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Reasonable (Post 12766913)
Which service do you use please?

Thanks

Use the quote system so that we can see who you are replying to

I use Smart DNS Proxy. I paid USD34 for 2 years

johnwoo Nov 21st 2019 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12766881)
Looks okay but kind of expensive - especially when all of that content is free to stream with a tiny bit of effort

A lot of effort if your not network savvy.

Amazulu Nov 21st 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12766988)
A lot of effort if your not network savvy.

Not at all. One IP address change on either your router or device - more info online on how to do this than you can shake a stick at

Bix Nov 21st 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12766509)
Avoid their new adaptation of the War of the World's - utter shite

It's gonna get better.
It's gonna get better.
It's gonna get better.

Shite, it didn't.
I wasted 3 hours of my life.

Amazulu Nov 21st 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 12767056)
It's gonna get better.
It's gonna get better.
It's gonna get better.

Shite, it didn't.
I wasted 3 hours of my life.

Yep. It started off well enough but the 2nd half was awful. Of course, as it's the woke BBC, they had to have a female lead, some pompous, ineffective male characters and have a big dig at the British Empire and colonisation. Wells' story is a classic but the BBC cocked it up - a missed opportunity

BristolUK Nov 26th 2019 1:13 am

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12311014)
Happening to many VPNs not just for iplayer but for others such as US tv websites that let you watch on catchup. Lifetime is one but using Hoxx set to USA it's currently working for me here. ABC is another.

Originally Posted by kg2095 (Post 12307407)
If you use Firefox you can install an add-on called Hoxx VPN Proxy. It's free and has not let me down yet.

Hoxx went through a period of not accessing iPlayer but it's all good again. At least from Canada.

Lucas_Dad Nov 28th 2019 4:52 am

I had a go with Hoxx today. iPlay still identified me as not being in the UK :(

EmmaRyan Dec 19th 2019 9:54 am

Hey all,
I know this is the old thread but didnt find the relevant thread to post my query.
I am having the same issue since week as I have recently moved to NZ for my research purpose and here I feel like missing my home country channels. I tried to use proxy but didnt got the relevant one.
Anybody from UK or a UK expat kindly tell me how to watch the UK channels like BT sporst and BBC and TV shows.
SO is there any other alternatives in this concern please do let me know. Like which VPN should I use for my concern.
Thanks in advance

Lucas_Dad Mar 2nd 2020 6:53 am

I gave SmartDNS a try and it has been working very well 99% of the time.

When I tested their VPN service its performance was appalling, but you don't need that to be able to watch iPlayer, etc., just SmartDNS on its own is fine. I plan on giving the VPN another test soon, but I still have a subscription with Private Internet Access for my VPN needs.