British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   VPN for BBC iplayer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/vpn-bbc-iplayer-901046/)

Reasonable Aug 2nd 2017 3:19 am

VPN for BBC iplayer

Any recommendations for a good vpn service for iplayer ?

Cheers

Lucas_Dad Aug 2nd 2017 4:47 am

Re: VPN for BBC iplayer

I use privateinternetaccess.com

They have servers all over the world, so can be used for iPlayer, but also if you're on a public wifi (library, Bunnings, coffee shop, whatever) you can have your phone/tablet/laptop on a vpn connection to your local big city - just protects you from people snooping on the pulblic network. PIA allow up to 5 devices to be connected. Costs me US$40/year.

kg2095 Aug 2nd 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Reasonable (Post 12307357)
Any recommendations for a good vpn service for iplayer ?

Cheers

If you use Firefox you can install an add-on called Hoxx VPN Proxy. It's free and has not let me down yet.

Tom Sawyer Aug 3rd 2017 12:38 pm

I use Unlocator with a YouView box I brought over from the UK.....not a VPN service but a DNS "relocator" and works well. Obviously not as secure as a VPN, but does the job.
I use NordVPN for Kodi and Laptop, although it is a bit of faff getting it work with a Kodi box as you have it use it via a computer acting as a virtual router.
With Express VPN you get both a VPN and DNS relocator so gives you a bit more flexibility. Might give them a try next.

northernbird Aug 3rd 2017 1:34 pm

I use aceVPN and have done for past 3 years. It's not free but it offers access to many other countries as well as UK and has served me well. Would highly recommend.

Pulaski Aug 3rd 2017 1:40 pm

Is there any reason why you're not using Britbox, which doesn't need a VPN? :unsure:

Dreamy Aug 4th 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12308521)
Is there any reason why you're not using Britbox, which doesn't need a VPN? :unsure:

We're sorry, BritBox is not available in your country.

Pulaski Aug 4th 2017 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12309720)

Sorry to hear that. :(

Dreamy Aug 4th 2017 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12309721)
Sorry to hear that. :(

Yeah, you got me all excited...

Not a statement I thought I would be making :D

quiltman Aug 5th 2017 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12309720)

nor here! i'll stick with Hoxx for iplayer and TVCatchup - Channels for streaming live progs.

Aussielover Aug 6th 2017 1:54 am

Having moved to Adelaide from Scotland six months ago, this thread prompted me to finally sign up for a VPN service yesterday; I chose NordVPN, which seemed to get very good press.

Having spent most of last night trying to get into BBC IPlayer, I had no luck at all ("Sorry, iPlayer is not available outside UK") - although I did manage to get into the ITV site for a quick fix of 'Corrie'!

It might be I'm doing something wrong as I'm new to all this so I'll persevere a bit longer, but I have a horrible feeling I might have wasted a hundred dollars...

quiltman Aug 6th 2017 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Aussielover (Post 12310240)
Having moved to Adelaide from Scotland six months ago, this thread prompted me to finally sign up for a VPN service yesterday; I chose NordVPN, which seemed to get very good press.

Having spent most of last night trying to get into BBC IPlayer, I had no luck at all ("Sorry, iPlayer is not available outside UK") - although I did manage to get into the ITV site for a quick fix of 'Corrie'!

It might be I'm doing something wrong as I'm new to all this so I'll persevere a bit longer, but I have a horrible feeling I might have wasted a hundred dollars...

The message you got indicates that the BBC site is not seeing a UK IP address.(It tends to remember when you last tried via a cookie I believe, as others have had this problem until they clear history or something) You need to clear your cache , set Nord to use a UK server and you should be good to go.I use Hoxx and heve never had a problem - I set it to UK then access iplayer with no problems. Use this site once you've activated Nord - it will tell you where you appear to be! https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

Hope this is of some help.

johnwoo Aug 6th 2017 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Aussielover (Post 12310240)

I'm using Tunnel Bear on recommendations on BE USA, although it seems most do the job.
One thing I've come across is that some only programs work if you change the time on your computer to UK time zone, but clearing you browser's history might be the reason if you have previously unsuccessfully tried to access iplayer,
Sometimes it takes awhile to work out all the bugs.

Aussielover Aug 6th 2017 5:46 am

Thank you for your suggestions Quiltman/JohnWoo.

NordVPN seems to have 117 UK connections, so I've chosen 'No 29' at random; iplocation.net shows that my location is Gosport UK, so this appears to be working OK at least. I've cleared my cache, history etc. (I think...), but still the problem remains - iPlayer knows I'm in Oz somehow!

I'll fiddle some more with my settings, change the time-zone etc. and see if I can get this to work somehow.

Aussielover Aug 6th 2017 9:32 am

A quick update:

Having spent most of the afternoon trying everything to get BBC iPlayer to work via NordVPN, I ended up in a live-chat with an online representative; he said that NordVPN are currently having a 'problem' with iPlayer, to be solved in the next day or so.

I'm just glad it's not just me, as I was running out of ideas... I'll let you all know if it works eventually!