British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   VPN for BBC iplayer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/vpn-bbc-iplayer-901046/)

Reasonable Aug 2nd 2017 3:19 am

VPN for BBC iplayer

Any recommendations for a good vpn service for iplayer ?

Cheers

Lucas_Dad Aug 2nd 2017 4:47 am

Re: VPN for BBC iplayer

I use privateinternetaccess.com

They have servers all over the world, so can be used for iPlayer, but also if you're on a public wifi (library, Bunnings, coffee shop, whatever) you can have your phone/tablet/laptop on a vpn connection to your local big city - just protects you from people snooping on the pulblic network. PIA allow up to 5 devices to be connected. Costs me US$40/year.

kg2095 Aug 2nd 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Reasonable (Post 12307357)
Any recommendations for a good vpn service for iplayer ?

Cheers

If you use Firefox you can install an add-on called Hoxx VPN Proxy. It's free and has not let me down yet.

Tom Sawyer Aug 3rd 2017 12:38 pm

I use Unlocator with a YouView box I brought over from the UK.....not a VPN service but a DNS "relocator" and works well. Obviously not as secure as a VPN, but does the job.
I use NordVPN for Kodi and Laptop, although it is a bit of faff getting it work with a Kodi box as you have it use it via a computer acting as a virtual router.
With Express VPN you get both a VPN and DNS relocator so gives you a bit more flexibility. Might give them a try next.

northernbird Aug 3rd 2017 1:34 pm

I use aceVPN and have done for past 3 years. It's not free but it offers access to many other countries as well as UK and has served me well. Would highly recommend.

Pulaski Aug 3rd 2017 1:40 pm

Is there any reason why you're not using Britbox, which doesn't need a VPN? :unsure:

Dreamy Aug 4th 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12308521)
Is there any reason why you're not using Britbox, which doesn't need a VPN? :unsure:

We're sorry, BritBox is not available in your country.

Pulaski Aug 4th 2017 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12309720)

Sorry to hear that. :(

Dreamy Aug 4th 2017 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12309721)
Sorry to hear that. :(

Yeah, you got me all excited...

Not a statement I thought I would be making :D

quiltman Aug 5th 2017 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12309720)

nor here! i'll stick with Hoxx for iplayer and TVCatchup - Channels for streaming live progs.

Aussielover Aug 6th 2017 1:54 am

Having moved to Adelaide from Scotland six months ago, this thread prompted me to finally sign up for a VPN service yesterday; I chose NordVPN, which seemed to get very good press.

Having spent most of last night trying to get into BBC IPlayer, I had no luck at all ("Sorry, iPlayer is not available outside UK") - although I did manage to get into the ITV site for a quick fix of 'Corrie'!

It might be I'm doing something wrong as I'm new to all this so I'll persevere a bit longer, but I have a horrible feeling I might have wasted a hundred dollars...

quiltman Aug 6th 2017 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Aussielover (Post 12310240)
Having moved to Adelaide from Scotland six months ago, this thread prompted me to finally sign up for a VPN service yesterday; I chose NordVPN, which seemed to get very good press.

Having spent most of last night trying to get into BBC IPlayer, I had no luck at all ("Sorry, iPlayer is not available outside UK") - although I did manage to get into the ITV site for a quick fix of 'Corrie'!

It might be I'm doing something wrong as I'm new to all this so I'll persevere a bit longer, but I have a horrible feeling I might have wasted a hundred dollars...

The message you got indicates that the BBC site is not seeing a UK IP address.(It tends to remember when you last tried via a cookie I believe, as others have had this problem until they clear history or something) You need to clear your cache , set Nord to use a UK server and you should be good to go.I use Hoxx and heve never had a problem - I set it to UK then access iplayer with no problems. Use this site once you've activated Nord - it will tell you where you appear to be! https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

Hope this is of some help.

johnwoo Aug 6th 2017 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Aussielover (Post 12310240)

I'm using Tunnel Bear on recommendations on BE USA, although it seems most do the job.
One thing I've come across is that some only programs work if you change the time on your computer to UK time zone, but clearing you browser's history might be the reason if you have previously unsuccessfully tried to access iplayer,
Sometimes it takes awhile to work out all the bugs.

Aussielover Aug 6th 2017 5:46 am

Thank you for your suggestions Quiltman/JohnWoo.

NordVPN seems to have 117 UK connections, so I've chosen 'No 29' at random; iplocation.net shows that my location is Gosport UK, so this appears to be working OK at least. I've cleared my cache, history etc. (I think...), but still the problem remains - iPlayer knows I'm in Oz somehow!

I'll fiddle some more with my settings, change the time-zone etc. and see if I can get this to work somehow.

Aussielover Aug 6th 2017 9:32 am

A quick update:

Having spent most of the afternoon trying everything to get BBC iPlayer to work via NordVPN, I ended up in a live-chat with an online representative; he said that NordVPN are currently having a 'problem' with iPlayer, to be solved in the next day or so.

I'm just glad it's not just me, as I was running out of ideas... I'll let you all know if it works eventually!

GarryP Aug 6th 2017 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Aussielover (Post 12310444)
; he said that NordVPN are currently having a 'problem' with iPlayer, to be solved in the next day or so.

That's usually code for "they have all our IP addresses and they have put us into the banned list".

Amazulu Aug 6th 2017 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Aussielover (Post 12310306)
Thank you for your suggestions Quiltman/JohnWoo.

NordVPN seems to have 117 UK connections, so I've chosen 'No 29' at random; iplocation.net shows that my location is Gosport UK, so this appears to be working OK at least. I've cleared my cache, history etc. (I think...), but still the problem remains - iPlayer knows I'm in Oz somehow!

I'll fiddle some more with my settings, change the time-zone etc. and see if I can get this to work somehow.

I'm really struggling to stream BBC iplayer - as are many others. I'm only using the download option at present

ExpressVPN DNS - what I use to get US Netflix - only works for US sites. I've tried various other DNS services but currently having no success. I think the BBC have been taking steps to stop international access

renth Aug 6th 2017 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12310452)
I'm really struggling to stream BBC iplayer - as are many others. I'm only using the download option at present

ExpressVPN DNS - what I use to get US Netflix - only works for US sites. I've tried various other DNS services but currently having no success. I think the BBC have been taking steps to stop international access

SmartyDNS working OK for me at the moment.

shimself Aug 6th 2017 4:10 pm

Just to add same for me last 2 days - smartdnsproxy. they say they already know. Just why can't the bbc get their act together on licensing and allow us to subscribe legally? The EU are doing something about this, oh but then of course...

Beoz Aug 6th 2017 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by shimself (Post 12310710)
Just to add same for me last 2 days - smartdnsproxy. they say they already know. Just why can't the bbc get their act together on licensing and allow us to subscribe legally? The EU are doing something about this, oh but then of course...

Because they sell their shows to global networks. For example, they sell (or sold) Top Gear to Channel 9 in Australia. If the BBC wasn't seen to be doing something about preventing it being watched in Australia via other means, no one would buy it, and the Beep would not make the money selling it.

johnwoo Aug 6th 2017 10:26 pm

Just in case some people don't know, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 have their own versions of BBC iPlayer. You will have to register, as you will soon have to with BBC iPlayer.
If you are having trouble with iPlayer try one of the other Channels. Some good TV there to be had. Maybe they might work for you.

Amazulu Aug 6th 2017 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by renth (Post 12310505)
SmartyDNS working OK for me at the moment.

That's interesting. A friend of mine is using Smarty and is also struggling

From a technical point of view, BBC iplayer is pathetic compared to Netflix (which I have never known to buffer)

iplayer download works well though

johnwoo Aug 6th 2017 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12310979)
That's interesting. A friend of mine is using Smarty and is also struggling

From a technical point of view, BBC iplayer is pathetic compared to Netflix (which I have never known to buffer)

iplayer download works well though

I cancelled Netflix, there was nothing on there I wanted to watch.

Amazulu Aug 7th 2017 12:13 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12310981)
I cancelled Netflix, there was nothing on there I wanted to watch.

Ozark is brilliant!

Love Netflix - especially the US version. I want to support them as they have been the main disrupter that has broken the cosy complacency of commercial TV

Each to their own

johnwoo Aug 7th 2017 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12310987)
Ozark is brilliant!

Love Netflix - especially the US version. I want to support them as they have been the main disrupter that has broken the cosy complacency of commercial TV

Each to their own

Of Course, my grand kids drove me mad watching all kinds of stuff. Violence and continual F...ing is not my kind of thing. As you say to each their own.

quiltman Aug 7th 2017 1:27 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12310451)
That's usually code for "they have all our IP addresses and they have put us into the banned list".

Happening to many VPNs not just for iplayer but for others such as US tv websites that let you watch on catchup. Lifetime is one but using Hoxx set to USA it's currently working for me here. ABC is another.

renth Aug 7th 2017 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12310987)
Ozark is brilliant!

I've just finished watching that - great stuff!

Amazulu Aug 7th 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 12311037)
I've just finished watching that - great stuff!

Never piss off a hillbilly!

renth Aug 8th 2017 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12311190)
Never piss off a hillbilly!

Now THAT was a leap out of my chair moment. Scared the hell out of the cat too.

Hutch Aug 14th 2017 1:25 am

All streaming sites and services working fine for me. Overplay for the DNS functions fine for all UK streaming services and most American ones. Private Internet Access VPN works perfectly for the outliers like Netflix. Been with both services for years. Also have things like HBO, AMC, FX, PBS, Showtime and Starz running on the Apple TV off a straight Overplay DNS. Newsgroups and Plex for everything else ...

SoMostof Mar 13th 2019 7:26 am

If you're using chrome, there's an extension called Wachee VPN. It works with iPlayer like charm.

Reasonable Nov 20th 2019 5:48 am

I have been able to download iplayer programs with a vpn but recently find that I get
"DASH manifest failed" and unable to download. Has anyone overcome this??

Cheers

Amazulu Nov 20th 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Reasonable (Post 12766383)
I have been able to download iplayer programs with a vpn but recently find that I get
"DASH manifest failed" and unable to download. Has anyone overcome this??

Cheers

I don't use a VPN, rather a DNS redirect (I'm not a fan of VPNs) and I get this sometimes. I just keep restarting the download and it always works

We watch the BBC most nights. Saw the last episode of World on Fire last night. Historically it's nonsense and full of revisionist and woke mumbo jumbo but as a drama it was superb. Avoid their new adaptation of the War of the World's - utter shite

johnwoo Nov 20th 2019 6:04 pm

I'm using Transponder TV, no need for vpn. I like it, althoug hit can be a bit buggy at times, but you can record and watch later.
It comes out of Oz I think.

https://www.transponder.tv/guide

Amazulu Nov 20th 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12766735)
I'm using Transponder TV, no need for vpn. I like it, althoug hit can be a bit buggy at times, but you can record and watch later.
It comes out of Oz I think.

https://www.transponder.tv/guide

Looks okay but kind of expensive - especially when all of that content is free to stream with a tiny bit of effort

Reasonable Nov 21st 2019 12:14 am

Which service do you use please?

Thanks

Amazulu Nov 21st 2019 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Reasonable (Post 12766913)
Which service do you use please?

Thanks

Use the quote system so that we can see who you are replying to

I use Smart DNS Proxy. I paid USD34 for 2 years

johnwoo Nov 21st 2019 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12766881)
Looks okay but kind of expensive - especially when all of that content is free to stream with a tiny bit of effort

A lot of effort if your not network savvy.

Amazulu Nov 21st 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12766988)
A lot of effort if your not network savvy.

Not at all. One IP address change on either your router or device - more info online on how to do this than you can shake a stick at

Bix Nov 21st 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12766509)
Avoid their new adaptation of the War of the World's - utter shite

It's gonna get better.
It's gonna get better.
It's gonna get better.

Shite, it didn't.
I wasted 3 hours of my life.