Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

update regarding can it get any worse

update regarding can it get any worse

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:45 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: update regarding can it get any worse

Originally Posted by Wol
Someone can *always* pull out - that's why you hold a deposit, which they lose if pulling out after exchanging contracts. Chances are that it will all go through OK, but there are enough horror stories here to be wary.
so true.... but who.. now be honest, who.. when they are setting up contract of sale with an agent at the very outset,l are that hard and fast with deposits...

I have been bitten, and still im a bloody wuss on deposits !!

But i agree withya
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
so true.... but who.. now be honest, who.. when they are setting up contract of sale with an agent at the very outset,l are that hard and fast with deposits...

I have been bitten, and still im a bloody wuss on deposits !!

But i agree withya
I may be (am) old fashioned, but I have never ever sold a house without having a deposit at exchange. Sometimes the amount has been negotiated down, but it's always been in my solicitor's bank as part of the deal.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:52 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I may be (am) old fashioned, but I have never ever sold a house without having a deposit at exchange. Sometimes the amount has been negotiated down, but it's always been in my solicitor's bank as part of the deal.
uh huh.... but so many ppl these days, will contract @ say $100 deposit, balance on going unconditional..

Most ppl would say dont bother with higher deposit at unconditional, cos unconditional, means house is sold...( good as ) contracturally..
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:53 am
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of

Third time lucky .It is the funds clearing holding things up and it is exchange with deposit to follow.I spoke to my solicitor and i trust her judgement as she is trained in the job and it is legally binding.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
uh huh.... but so many ppl these days, will contract @ say $100 deposit, balance on going unconditional..

Most ppl would say dont bother with higher deposit at unconditional, cos unconditional, means house is sold...( good as ) contracturally..
Then, especially when they fly out of the country the next day, they *may* be left holding the can without even the comfort of ten percent of the sale price. Sorry, but house sale and purchase is the biggest amount of cash most of us play with, and it just cannot be treated so casually especially when you are about to go to the other side of the planet. As I said, chances are that all would be OK but if it turns to a bag of worms your theoretical rights in law are probably just that - theoretical.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:31 am
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of

The funds for our buyrs buyer will be cleared on monday so should the worst happen i will not leave the country without the money.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:20 am
Banned

Where are you guys moving to in Oz?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou
Hi Nu-shooz
please can i just ask as we are in the same situation i think,we have to leave on the 5th Jan and we have a buyer but they cant sell theirs,they cant get no one in the door at the min,they do have a lovely house and we were all certain it would sell first time but not ONE PERSON has even looked,they do not know we are emigrating as i dont want any dirty tactics at the last min,
We are selling for 285,000, they said they can raise 250,00 cash from some policy but idealy they want to sell first,
after reading these and yours post is that true or possible that you can exchange with no money - how does that work though - do they get the house and then the money later or can they put a deposit down to secure and tie them in as my OH will have to come back if not,
Hi sarahlou,

I think you could tie your buyers in with a different sort of contract. They sign to say that they will purchase as soon as they sell their house and pay you a deposit. If they pull out, you keep the deposit. The contract is open ended. You would have to speak to your solicitor as I am
not sure if it is possible and what your solicitor's opinion would be. But it might be worth looking into.