Unexpected kindness

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 1:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Unexpected kindness

We've occasionally struggled to make ends meet over the past 6 months, so I was grateful for what happened earlier this evening.

Somewhere between 8-9pm, I heard a knocking at the door. This was odd because we weren't expecting anyone.

I walked down the hall and approached the door cautiously in case of unexpected dodginess. (I didn't expect any dodginess, but I did expect unexpected dodginess. Unexpectedly, there was no dodginess. This took me by surprise).

I opened the door and looked around, but the mystery door-knocker had done a Harold Holt. There were three plastic Woolworths bags sitting by the doorstep. They were all full of groceries. One contained three kilos of good quality meat.

Rummaging through the contents I found a note. It began with a quote from the Bible and ended with four kisses and four hugs. There was no signature.

The donation was obviously made by a member (or members) of our local church community, but we have no idea who it might have been. Of course we asked all the right questions:

Mrs Stampede: 'Who do we know that's rich?'
Me: 'Sweets, compared to us, Blind Bob under the bridge is rich.'
Mrs Stampede: 'OK, who knows we're hard up?'
Me: 'Anyone with a brain?'

Humour aside, it's a wonderfully generous gift. We're counting our blessings tonight.

PS. It was Pup's 3rd birthday today (party tomorrow; photos to follow).
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected kindness

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
We've occasionally struggled to make ends meet over the past 6 months, so I was grateful for what happened earlier this evening.

Somewhere between 8-9pm, I heard a knocking at the door. This was odd because we weren't expecting anyone.

I walked down the hall and approached the door cautiously in case of unexpected dodginess. (I didn't expect any dodginess, but I did expect unexpected dodginess. Unexpectedly, there was no dodginess. This took me by surprise).

I opened the door and looked around, but the mystery door-knocker had done a Harold Holt. There were three plastic Woolworths bags sitting by the doorstep. They were all full of groceries. One contained three kilos of good quality meat.

http://i41.tinypic.com/5oi143.jpg

Rummaging through the contents I found a note. It began with a quote from the Bible and ended with four kisses and four hugs. There was no signature.

The donation was obviously made by a member (or members) of our local church community, but we have no idea who it might have been. Of course we asked all the right questions:

Mrs Stampede: 'Who do we know that's rich?'
Me: 'Sweets, compared to us, Blind Bob under the bridge is rich.' http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5344/mfbookread.gif
Mrs Stampede: 'OK, who knows we're hard up?' http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3019/unsureb.gif
Me: 'Anyone with a brain?' http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5928/readeb.gif

Humour aside, it's a wonderfully generous gift. We're counting our blessings tonight.

PS. It was Pup's 3rd birthday today (party tomorrow; photos to follow).
That's a lovely surprise for you.Many of us have been where you are now and understand how hard it is.I recall many years ago digging down the back off the couch looking for change to buy a carton of milk before the inlaws visited.We have survived the hard times and are doing ok now.However we never forget that despite our hardship back then how lucky we are now.All the best.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:06 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely gesture from someone
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope the pup has a decent feed on its birthday.... But dont give him All the best bits, just coz its his birthday... A dog is just as grateful for the lick of a plate when you're finished .... As it is for a whole bloody steak ...

(attempted humour... Epic fail...)

Thanks for sharing that with us....
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday pup!

Isn't it lovely that people will still help out those in need without them directly asking.

So many charities are after your money that you feel guilty about saying no, and you often wonder where your money is actually going. This act of kindness was a direct and neighbourly thing to do, with no middle men to take their cut. Wish that more people would look out for their neighbours like that.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thats really nice. You will find the person giving got just as much pleasure

In the week out vintage shopping, I met a lady who does foster care, had a boy with her, taken into care during the night, suspended from school, probably due to some horrendous home life

Anyway went home and got a large bag of my kids too small but as new clothing for them. Its so easy to do something good for someone else.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:48 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That was a very kind gesture from someone.

I hope your financial worries subside soon.

PS: What was the quote from the bible?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:18 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have all been there mate,no shame,that's life,even those who flatshare at 48
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lovely unexpected surprise Vash. Especially when you were expecting unexpected dodginess.

Hopefully when you and Mrs Vash are in the position you will do the same kindness for someone else who needs it.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:34 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's a lovely unexpected surprise Vash. Especially when you were expecting unexpected dodginess.

Hopefully when you and Mrs Vash are in the position you will do the same kindness for someone else who needs it.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 12:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Unexpected kindness

Thanks everyone. It has been quite tough. As I said to someone just this week, 'My family is currently living on little more than faith and hot coffee. And sometimes the coffee's cold!'

Originally Posted by paulry
PS: What was the quote from the bible?
It was from James 2:14-16, which says:

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but does not have works? Can this kind of faith save him?
If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacks daily food,
and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm and eat well,” but you do not give them what the body needs, what good is it?
The note simply opened with 'Be ye warmed and filled!'

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We were in such a position last year. I have a friend in Faro, Portugal, who'd been out of work for an extended period and hadn't taken a holiday with his wife and son for years.

They desperately needed a break, so I organised a collection within my church community and raised enough money to fly them all to Orpoto for a 6-day holiday.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 24th 2012 at 12:39 am.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You know something Vash? Of all the posters on BE you're one of the last I would have suspected ......

hello, my names eddie, I'm a god botherer too...pleased to meet you
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely gesture x
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:14 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Unexpected kindness

Originally Posted by eddie007
You know something Vash? Of all the posters on BE you're one of the last I would have suspected ......
Am I such a bad Christian that you can't even tell?

Confession: I'm a pastor at my local church. The role is voluntary, so it doesn't put food on the table. But it brings other rewards.

hello, my names eddie, I'm a god botherer too...pleased to meet you
Always a pleasure.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Am I such a bad Christian that you can't even tell?

Confession: I'm a pastor at my local church. The role is voluntary, so it doesn't put food on the table. But it brings other rewards.

Always a pleasure. http://i42.tinypic.com/32zkfmh.gif
Actually, I think you'll find that it just did put food on your table.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.