Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ultrasonic Mouse plug ins

Ultrasonic Mouse plug ins

Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:32 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Ultrasonic Mouse plug ins

Next door has chickens and often with chickens, come mice - we have mice in our garden and they have got in to our house - some how at the back of the cooker but under the bottom - the little section where there is nothing but you could store trays if you wanted.

We tried the humane traps and the mice were not interested so Mr PP bought 'neck breaker traps' and we have caught a Mum, a Dad and 3 babies. The trap pings, Gordon the cat hears it and comes running to us meowing his head off, Mr PP (AKA 'Mouse Man') goes and sorts it as I cannot stand mice.

I called Allpest this morning who said they can come and put bait down and apparantly it is 'safer than the old baits' as in the mice take it, dehydrate rapidly, go outside in search for water and die and even if Gordon did eat one, there isnt enough in the bait to hurt him, he would have to ingest 20 mice in one sitting - so the pest man said.

He also said our neck breakers are working just fine and recommends we keep using them as at least the mice are not going away hidden and dying - thank God!

Now before anyone suggests starving my cat for 3 days and letting him catch them, I dont want him eating mice and he only likes to play with mice and at 7.4kgs, he doesnt see why he should have mice when he has Snappy Tom cat food.

Pest man also reckoned those ultrasonic mouse repeller things are very good - they cost $57 and there is a site you can get them from and even dogs cannot hear them as they are a new generation model with a different frequency.

Has anyone used these and if so, what do you think?

Whilst I am comforted that pest man thinks our traps are working quite well and pretty soon we will have them all neatly killed and done with, I want ride of the little bastards that I suspect are getting in from the airvents at the bottom of the house.

I cant tell next door to get rid of their chickens either.

****ing hate mice and I wont be happy until the whole family are obliterated with their mousey necks snapped in half. I might get the repeller anyway, and poor Gordon is on patrol every night and most of the day now, waiting for the 'ping' of the trap so he can come in screaming to tell us.

No more Mr Nice Guy, - that is it, if snapping their necks aint good enough then I will drive them mad with a high pitched frequency and failing that, I shall get a nice snake to eat them.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:33 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ultrasonic Mouse plug ins

I quite like mice. I had a couple in my last house and I caught them in a tuppaware box whilst they were troughing in the pantry, took them up to a local hotel and let them loose nearby. It wasn't a good hotel.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:46 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I quite like mice. I had a couple in my last house and I caught them in a tuppaware box whilst they were troughing in the pantry, took them up to a local hotel and let them loose nearby. It wasn't a good hotel.
We tried the humane trap and they wouldnt go near it, even with the tastiest of baits so neck snappers was the only way to go.

No way no never are they going to live in my house,
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We get lots of mice here. If they make it into the house it's war - poison, traps, even chase and catch. We tried an ultra-sonic thing several years ago in the UK and it didn't work - probably deaf mice. Sometimes we get native mice - are they annoyed by the same frequencies?

Here we have solved the problem by stopping them getting into the house. Doors to the outside are fitted with those steel draught excluders from Bunnings. They chew through the plastic ones. We keep humane traps in the garage and catch them every few days but the door through to the house is sealed. If we find droppings near the house (window ledges or in corners) I tie a block of poison to a brick, put another couple on top so the mouse can get at the bait but not birds or other bigger animals.

Edit- use unsalted nuts for bait in traps - stick to far end of humane trap.

Last edited by lesleys; Apr 5th 2011 at 9:54 am.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We had an ultrasonic deterrent that was supposed to keep ants away. It worked as well as a chocolate teapot- total waste of money. Don't bother with one of those for mice, especially as your traps seem to be doing the job.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You could spread a few snakes around.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:48 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You could spread a few snakes around.
+1 - You need a Python.

We had a bit of a rat problem a while back and baiting or trapping didnt seem to have any effect. One day they just vanished though... never to be seen again and a couple of weeks later we saw a friendly 7ft Python crawling around the yard (actually he was eye'ing off the dog and I reckon trying to work out whether she was a valid meal choice now the rats were no longer on the menu).
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:37 am

Well no mice today - so far

Think I wont bother with the ultrasonic, just carry on with the neck breakers. Word must be spreading in 'mouse world' that our house aint the place to be.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

The Hydro Majestic?

S
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by DadAgain
+1 - You need a Python.

We had a bit of a rat problem a while back and baiting or trapping didnt seem to have any effect. One day they just vanished though... never to be seen again and a couple of weeks later we saw a friendly 7ft Python crawling around the yard (actually he was eye'ing off the dog and I reckon trying to work out whether she was a valid meal choice now the rats were no longer on the menu).
There was something on the news the other day about pet cats in the Eastern States getting eaten by pythons.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:01 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a bad year for mice. Our house is old - I've blocked all the holes I can find. Haven't had mice for about 4 years, this year we've trapped about 10.

My office is new and fairly well sealed but for the first time in 7 years, have had two mice in there. Something to do with wet weather?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
It's been a bad year for mice. Our house is old - I've blocked all the holes I can find. Haven't had mice for about 4 years, this year we've trapped about 10.

My office is new and fairly well sealed but for the first time in 7 years, have had two mice in there. Something to do with wet weather?
We are dried out in Perth, no rain for god knows how long but the flies are really bad where we are and where I work, dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Actually this hot weather is making me feel quite ill - I am over it.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:06 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We are dried out in Perth, no rain for god knows how long but the flies are really bad where we are and where I work, dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Actually this hot weather is making me feel quite ill - I am over it.
You may send the weather over here.

Oh well, maybe mice just thrive anywhere.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

PP are you sending them all to us in Vic now? I've never seen one here in 4 yrs til literally just now when one scurried out from under a pile of boxes in the garage. Bit spooky after just reading this thread... Not scared of them particularly, but it startled me! (note to self; Get hubs to tidy up the garage pronto)
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I have the utrasonic plug in that I brought with from the UK - seems to work well. I also have the back up of neck breakers. A tip I learned here is to put peanut butter on the traps as the little blighters seem to like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.