Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK / OZ Property Market

UK / OZ Property Market

Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK / OZ Property Market

Originally Posted by paulry
Properties here in the south are moving fast. A couple of weekends ago we were house hunting around Hampton. 4 out of 5 for sale signs had a sold card on them. Also we had to queue up to view some. Around there we were also amazed at the high prices being asked for some very small and shabby looking houses (£350K +).
Yep, I can well imagine. Things have defo picked up lately in the South East from what I see.

I asked him last Saturday how it's going and he said it sold the day before i.e. last Friday exactly one week after going on. It didn't even have a FOR SALE sign. It now has a SOLD sign up.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yateleyhants
With regards to the UK housing economy. Is anyone who has been fortunate to sell their property and moving over to Oz, going to leap into a buying a property in Oz or are you going to be more careful and wait to see how things pan out.

We're only going over next year and will probably rent for 6 months max before buying over there.

We really need to have our own place. Rented accom long term is not for us.

As for selling here, we'll try our best.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:24 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

We completed today after 20 months on the market! We will def be looking to rent for approx 12 months when we first arrive. Presuming we can find a rental that is
Not liking the exchange rate at the moment so our money is staying put till it improves... To buy a house in Oz with the exchange rate as it is would be madness
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
We completed today after 20 months on the market! We will def be looking to rent for approx 12 months when we first arrive. Presuming we can find a rental that is
Not liking the exchange rate at the moment so our money is staying put till it improves... To buy a house in Oz with the exchange rate as it is would be madness
I agree, it's a dilemma - and there's no "clear win" formula.

Good luck
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Yateleyhants
With regards to the UK housing economy. Is anyone who has been fortunate to sell their property and moving over to Oz, going to leap into a buying a property in Oz or are you going to be more careful and wait to see how things pan out.
we feel very lucky as we just sold our house within 4 days, we had 12 viewings and 4 offers and got a little more than the asking price! And I put it on for more than the estate agents advised us to, which they didn't like one bit, they don't always know best! So there is hope for those thinking of going on the market. We are in the Midlands.

As for OZ, I haven't a clue about the market really, so we have decided to rent for at least a year before we committ.

Good luck all
Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Congratulations and all the best for your move!

To sell in four days with four offers is incredible. Are you not kicking yourselves for not putting it on for a bit more to pay for the champagne?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I was chatting to a young lad recently who is struggling to save to buy a house for him and his fiancee for after they get married - ah (didn't know kids still did that!). Anyway, I said that there were now loads of deals around with new houses (we'll pay the first £10,000)and that he should be OK. However, the banks that he has approached so far with these deals are refusing to lend on them because they say that the house prices have been massively inflated to include the so called incentive, so it's not actually that good a deal. With banks now being so sniffy about lending anything, he is going to have such a hard time, bless him.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:12 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Over two years!

Our neighbour (2 houses down) just sold his pad within a week of going on the market! Good price too!

Where are you planning to move to when you sell Julie?
I'm not planning on moving too far, Alfresco. Possibly Ashtead or Dorking maybe. Just need to sell this house, split the equity with the ex and start my life over.
Each year I've been saying "I want to be in for Christmas".
Hmm, well, this Christmas is getting close now and still no luck

Julie. x
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:48 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
http://www.theage.com.au/blogs/econo...0914-fnh5.html

It's becoming a very mainstream view now that people sucked in by the FHB boost may have been buying a lemon

No rush to buy houses, they will probably stagnate for quite a while without the demand, but unlikely to fall significantly, maybe only with inflation eroding away at the value
Thats pretty much my view.House prices will level off and maybe drop a tad but they wont plummet,unfortunately.
The FTHB grant has inflated the sub 400k market by approx 10 % IMO.

Just my 2 cents worth since we've been looking for somewhere for the last 6 months-ish.

Lee
Old Sep 19th 2009, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
I'm not planning on moving too far, Alfresco. Possibly Ashtead or Dorking maybe. Just need to sell this house, split the equity with the ex and start my life over.
Each year I've been saying "I want to be in for Christmas".
Hmm, well, this Christmas is getting close now and still no luck

Julie. x

Well I wish you all the best in selling!

I like both Ashtead and Dorking. We live in Fetcham which we obviously like. We also liked Bookham to an extent when first arrived here.

Good luck!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Properties here in the south are moving fast. A couple of weekends ago we were house hunting around Hampton. 4 out of 5 for sale signs had a sold card on them. Also we had to queue up to view some. Around there we were also amazed at the high prices being asked for some very small and shabby looking houses (£350K +).
I grew up around there. I was amazed to see that to get in to 4 bed territory, and get something even remotely with any character it is more than GBP400+
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:27 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Well I wish you all the best in selling!

I like both Ashtead and Dorking. We live in Fetcham which we obviously like. We also liked Bookham to an extent when first arrived here.

Good luck!
Thank you. Those other areas are possibilities too but need to be on the Epsom train line so that youngest daughter can get to school without me having to drive her in. And wherever I find a job will determine where I live too.
So, I need a job and a house to live in. Not too much to ask is it