Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK / OZ Property Market

UK / OZ Property Market

Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Yateleyhants is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK / OZ Property Market

With regards to the UK housing economy. Is anyone who has been fortunate to sell their property and moving over to Oz, going to leap into a buying a property in Oz or are you going to be more careful and wait to see how things pan out.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK / OZ Property Market

Sold our Uk property in 8 days but waiting for at least a year or so here.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:09 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

we can rent at 1/3 the cost of buying, buying a house is not a good investment at the moment and probably wont be for another ten years or so.

Certanly do not go in to debt to buy one!

take your time and don't get fooled by the green shoots theory, it's all clap trap.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: UK / OZ Property Market

Our UK house has been on the market for more than two months without success. We'll have to try and rent it out when we leave.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Our UK house has been on the market for more than two months without success. We'll have to try and rent it out when we leave.
mine has just sold after 18mths!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:06 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

I think I may have set a record here - my house has been on the market for 2 years, 2 months and 2 weeks and 1 day
And we've dropped it by £80K.

Julie. x
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
I think I may have set a record here - my house has been on the market for 2 years, 2 months and 2 weeks and 1 day

Julie. x
At least you're willing to drop. As a buyer in UK, 3 offers have been refused as the sellers won't drop a penny. Houses are only worth what the buyers are willing to pay as they say.

Good luck, lets hope you sell soon.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:18 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yateleyhants
With regards to the UK housing economy. Is anyone who has been fortunate to sell their property and moving over to Oz, going to leap into a buying a property in Oz or are you going to be more careful and wait to see how things pan out.
Sold ours in two weeks but a change of plan has meant that we have just bought another. We plan to live in it for two years and then let it out for a few years after that until the forex and house prices situation is more favourable.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, sorry, 2 years 9 months and still waiting, supposed to complete in October (won't hold my breath)

Julie. x
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:16 am
Just Joined

At least in the UK you are informed on what the markets are doing. In Oz they seem to think everything is rosy and think positive (which is good most of the time) but when you are getting into debt with a large mortgage its best to know all the facts before you jump in. Most TV programmes in OZ do not report on the actual housing bubble which is going to pop sooner or later. So most Ozzies are living in the dark I assume most Brits moving over to Oz will probably be wiser this time round and take their time before buying in Oz.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yateleyhants
At least in the UK you are informed on what the markets are doing.
Totally disagree. The information is out there. Anyone who does not research before buying a property is a f**kwit.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Totally disagree. The information is out there. Anyone who does not research before buying a property is a f**kwit.
First time buyers are being suckered into buying because of the govt first home owners grant which has increased prices even further to cause a mini boom and yet current affair programmes (all, I might add) continue to tell people its a good time to buy. You may be older and wiser but not all the young people of this country unfortunately have that wisedom or knowledge.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
http://www.theage.com.au/blogs/econo...0914-fnh5.html

It's becoming a very mainstream view now that people sucked in by the FHB boost may have been buying a lemon

No rush to buy houses, they will probably stagnate for quite a while without the demand, but unlikely to fall significantly, maybe only with inflation eroding away at the value
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Julie. x

Over two years!

Our neighbour (2 houses down) just sold his pad within a week of going on the market! Good price too!

Where are you planning to move to when you sell Julie?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:58 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Over two years!

Our neighbour (2 houses down) just sold his pad within a week of going on the market! Good price too!

Where are you planning to move to when you sell Julie?
Properties here in the south are moving fast. A couple of weekends ago we were house hunting around Hampton. 4 out of 5 for sale signs had a sold card on them. Also we had to queue up to view some. Around there we were also amazed at the high prices being asked for some very small and shabby looking houses (£350K +).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.