Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK House Prices to drop another 55%..

Wikiposts

UK House Prices to drop another 55%..

Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:02 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK House Prices to drop another 55%..

Originally Posted by spilko
Out of all this mess I hope people are more wary about considering a house an investment and but think of it as somewhere as a home that they can live in for many years. People moving around every 2 years, trying to get a slightly bigger, better, newer house drives the house prices up.
A guy who works with me has just received a letter (dated Thursday 12th) from the ATO asking him to explain his most recent 3 property purchases and sales. He buys lives in and sells on every 18 months assuming he was protected as it was his family home. The ATO are claiming as he went along to make money its not CGT they are after but income tax treating the property as stock item.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:05 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's the odd 5pct that annoys the crap out of me.

Why not 40 or 50 or even 60, WTF predict 55pct. Some of these experts are full of crap.
First rule of forecasting - if you're going to make something up, don't make it a nice round number. Should actually have been something like 52% - far more credible. I know this; I used to do forecasts for a living.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

australiamaybe is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/gra...ouse-price.php

I think this graph gives a good indication of where prices are headed.

In the last down turn there was a 38% drop from peak to trough. On that basis there is another 25% to go from 156k. In the 1980 there was only an 18% drop peak to trough.

The thing to note is that the prices always go above and below the trend line on the way up and the way down respectively. So there is likely to be further drops. However if the government goes on with low interest rates and inflation kicks in the nominal drop won't be so much.

My bet is another 20% from 156k or 117k.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:45 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australiamaybe

In the last down turn there was a 38% drop from peak to trough. On that basis there is another 25% to go from 156k. In the 1980 there was only an 18% drop peak to trough.

The thing to note is that the prices always go above and below the trend line on the way up and the way down respectively. So there is likely to be further drops. However if the government goes on with low interest rates and inflation kicks in the nominal drop won't be so much.

You also need to remember that the trend line is skewed steeper at the moment, when prices drop the trend line will become more shallow as well.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:46 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
First rule of forecasting - if you're going to make something up, don't make it a nice round number. Should actually have been something like 52% - far more credible. I know this; I used to do forecasts for a living.
People remember round numbers as well. Which is a bugger if you're wrong.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

australiamaybe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burbage
You also need to remember that the trend line is skewed steeper at the moment, when prices drop the trend line will become more shallow as well.
I was mixing up the trend line to moving average. Not sure that we can say more than that we will under of over shoot the trend, but by how much?

Last edited by australiamaybe; Mar 13th 2009 at 8:22 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Burbage
So an even bigger drop then?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:19 pm
Demi-God

Originally Posted by northernlights
So an even bigger drop then?
Depends how that line is calculated. If it's a simple best fit then it will move as the data changes.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by australiamaybe

The trough always goes below the previous peak so my bet is another 30% from 156k or 110k.