Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK expats lose pension freeze appeal

UK expats lose pension freeze appeal

Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK expats lose pension freeze appeal

OAPs in the UK are paying tax, those in Australia aren't. Hence the better deal for old folks in the UK. Seems pretty straightforward.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
OAPs in the UK are paying tax, those in Australia aren't. Hence the better deal for old folks in the UK. Seems pretty straightforward.
Well said. The other great whinge is the residential rules for higher education. I don't have a problem with that.Why shouldn't migrants pay for UK higher education in the UK should they return?
It's about choice.
I returned knowing that my middle child will have free universty tuition(in Scotland) It was one of the things that had to be considered.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
Don't be a big girl. You understood the position before you emigrated. The ruling has been upheld.
I don't think it's fair,but out of sight ,out of mind.
You'll get your Aussie pension
No I didn't know but that is irrelevant as it would not have changed my decision.

The point here is that we paid the same dues as anyone else, and a damned sight more than some, so why shouldn't we receive the same benefits?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:27 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
Well said.
That's not correct.

You obviously missed the statement from the UK government quoted earlier in the thread:

As the petition correctly points out, State Pensions are paid out of the National Insurance Fund (NIF) rather than general taxation.

Tax has nothing to do with UK state pension.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
That's not correct.

You obviously missed the statement from the UK government quoted earlier in the thread:

As the petition correctly points out, State Pensions are paid out of the National Insurance Fund (NIF) rather than general taxation.

Tax has nothing to do with UK state pension.
So what! Life's unfair. It just means that you'll get less. Aus has pensions and 9% super (minimum).Good for you but tough.
I'm sure there will heated pension action debate at the bbqs this weekend.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Simple solution....

Get an address and bank account in the Philippines and tell the UK you live there.
You then get all the annual rises !!!

As for any arguments that say it costs too much to provide these rises to non residents of Britain, how come those who moved to Asian countries etc can get the rises ?

If no-one got it, then it would be understandable and acceptable to all.... but the question remains, why do some get it, but not everyone ?

Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Simple solution....

Get an address and bank account in the Philippines and tell the UK you live there.
You then get all the annual rises !!!

As for any arguments that say it costs too much to provide these rises to non residents of Britain, how come those who moved to Asian countries etc can get the rises ?

If no-one got it, then it would be understandable and acceptable to all.... but the question remains, why do some get it, but not everyone ?
Out of sight ,out of mind. You all live in Australia which, believe it or not is very isolated and no one gives a shit about! It's unfair I know,but there is
" he haw " you can do about it.
It will be a substantial amount for the impoverished UK govt. that it does not pay to Aussie dwellers.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Out of sight ,out of mind. You all live in Australia which, believe it or not is very isolated and no one gives a shit about! It's unfair I know,but there is
" he haw " you can do about it.
It will be a substantial amount for the impoverished UK govt. that it does not pay to Aussie dwellers.
But why do the Brits that live in other countries, eg; Asian countries, get it ?

Does it make sense to anyone ?

Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

But why do the Brits that live in other countries, eg; Asian countries, get it ?

Does it make sense to anyone ?
There are more expats in Aus than anywhere else.Unfair?-Yes.Does it matter that the expats 12000 miles away thinks it's unfair?-No
Does it make fiscal sense to the UK ?-Yes.

With all that free dental care and cheap superior healthcare,not to mention the low cost of quality goods available and house values that can never go down that you mention I don't think you'll need that pension of a third world country like the UK.

Bottom line is that whilst you live in Aus ou don't really matter.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:12 pm
ABCDiamond

I do wonder if the European court understands it all.

After all they did say: "As non-residents, the applicants did not contribute to the UK economy, in particular, they paid no UK tax to offset the cost of any increase in the pension," a statement from the court said.'

But what about the non-residents who live in in the USA, and do get the increases. ?

If you live in Canada, South Africa and Australia, you do NOT get the increases.

If you live in USA

Another quote "The Department for Work and Pensions welcomed the ruling and said its first responsibility was to support pensioners in the UK."

They should have said "the first responsibility was to support pensioners in the UK, the USA, Israel, etc, etc...."

Some interesting figures:
  • 460,000 British expatriate state pensioners live in a 'frozen' country.
  • 390,000 British expatriate pensioners receive the same annual uprating as the pensioners still residing in the United Kingdom.

If Britain really needs the money, why not stop the increases to ALL expats ?

Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Bottom line is that whilst you live in Aus ou don't really matter.
And that is the type of attitude I am glad to be away from....

Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:16 pm
ABCDiamond

house values that can never go down that you mention
Where does that come in ?
Who mentioned that ?

And for your info, I have never said that they can't go down, in fact I have stated that they HAVE gone down.

So where do you get your ideas from

Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

And that is the type of attitude I am glad to be away from....
Did I say it was fair ? No I did not.

It has nothing to do with my attitude.

Do I detect bitterness? Yes.

Are you a shameless Australian propogandaist? Yes.

Are many of the people who pm me about your self promotion pishing themselves at your whinging? Probably.

I'll say it again IT IS UNFAIR.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:24 pm
ABCDiamond

I'll say it again IT IS UNFAIR.
So you think the same as me then.

Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Do I detect bitterness? Yes.
Well, as we think the same, I suppose you would know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.