British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   UK election poll (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/uk-election-poll-897461/)

Amazulu Jun 1st 2017 12:42 am

UK election poll

So who's gonna get the gig for the next 5 years?

bcworld Jun 1st 2017 1:22 am

Re: UK election poll

I doubt she'll last 5 years. She'll oversee some disastrous Brexit negotiations then be out shortly thereafter.

GarryP Jun 1st 2017 3:37 am

Best answer is probably a hung parliament.

No matter what, they need to bring in someone external with a clue to oversee EU negotiations (none of them seem capable of managing a wet paper bag).

As such you put that to one side and instead need some way of controlling and limiting the outright stupid evil of the tories. At the same time Corbyn is off the reservation, and the lib isn't much better. So hung; so that nobody has control, is probably the best of a bad job.

And in the meantime, they need to clear the whole useless shower out by the next election, or earlier.

JoeBloggs80 Jun 1st 2017 6:28 am

May will win, and probably with a reasonable majority, but I'm crossing every finger and toe possible that Uncle Jezza somehow nicks it

scrubbedexpat098 Jun 1st 2017 7:16 am

I think it'll be May, but Jezza gave an excellent account of himself in the last debate and I reckon he swung afew fence sitters. This is going to be closer than the predicted landslide I think. I wouldn't put it past May to lose on purpose haha

OzTennis Jun 1st 2017 7:26 am

April - snap election called well before it was due, Tories with 24 point lead in polls, Labour in disarray, Corbyn a joke, easy peasy.

Today - 3 point lead in latest polls, May doesn't attend the BBC leaders debate last night and sends Rudd in her place. May is making it close all by herself with U turns, wooden performances, repeating phrases ad infinitum (what's the weather like Theresa? 'Strong and stable, we provide strong and stable weather and we will oversee strong and stable Brexit negotiations'..........)

It was inconceivable with Corbyn leading Labour but it is at least panning out to be a much, much, closer contest than thought a few months ago.

Amazulu Jun 1st 2017 8:11 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 12263933)
April - snap election called well before it was due, Tories with 24 point lead in polls, Labour in disarray, Corbyn a joke, easy peasy.

Today - 3 point lead in latest polls, May doesn't attend the BBC leaders debate last night and sends Rudd in her place. May is making it close all by herself with U turns, wooden performances, repeating phrases ad infinitum (what's the weather like Theresa? 'Strong and stable, we provide strong and stable weather and we will oversee strong and stable Brexit negotiations'..........)

It was inconceivable with Corbyn leading Labour but it is at least panning out to be a much, much, closer contest than thought a few months ago.

:rofl:

One poll has them with a 3 point lead but the Telegraph's poll of polls is at over 10 points. As we know, polls have been pretty wrong of late and the betting market is a better indication - I think you'll find they show a very different story

Hope this helps

OzTennis Jun 2nd 2017 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12263963)

One poll has them with a 3 point lead but the Telegraph's poll of polls is at over 10 points. As we know, polls have been pretty wrong of late and the betting market is a better indication - I think you'll find they show a very different story

Hope this helps

But their lead IN THE POLLS was well over 20% when the election was called. The gap has narrowed markedly whichever poll you look at. Corbyn is also the preferred choice of leader in London in a newly released poll.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7766941.html

The Tories will win the election but they are not going to get the majority they thought they'd get when taking the country to the polls earlier than necessary.

spouse of scouse Jun 2nd 2017 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12263828)
So who's gonna get the gig for the next 5 years?

I'll tell you on 9 June.

ozzieeagle Jun 3rd 2017 11:35 am

London seems to love Corbyn, I'm surprised how well he is doing.

Amazulu Jun 4th 2017 4:15 am

Don't worry Britain, Jeremy will keep you safe

ozzieeagle Jun 4th 2017 5:58 am

Labour has increased it's hold on London.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/01...-33-labour-50/

In fact it's going to be far far closer than anyone imagined by the latest polls.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7770651.html

BadgeIsBack Jun 7th 2017 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12265536)
Labour has increased it's hold on London.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/01...-33-labour-50/

In fact it's going to be far far closer than anyone imagined by the latest polls.

Labour ahead of Conservatives in unadjusted poll of voters | The Independent

I can only also wonder whether all the remainers will vote for Jezza and a lot of the yoof who did not bother turning out in the referendum.

Amazulu Jun 7th 2017 11:38 am

Don't worry souties, Jeremy Corbyn's old shag, Diane Abbott could be your next home secretary

quiltman Jun 7th 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 12267915)
I can only also wonder whether all the remainers will vote for Jezza and a lot of the yoof who did not bother turning out in the referendum.

Isn't that why Labour say they'll remove uni fees? to bring out the yoof vote?
Who is going to pay for it?
They say they'll upgrade benefits - so that's another load of votes.
They say they'll keep the triple lock - so they hope us oldies will vote for them ,but most of us have more than one brain cell and hopefully can see through this.
The biggest problem is that , naturally, a lot of voters only think "what's in it for me?" and are not interested in the wider, longer term implications.
One of the major potential problems is - Who is going to pick our veggies??? Currently the vast majority of workers are from the EU - OK we may issue short term work permits after Brexit, but can you see those work shy benefits folks getting up a 3.00am to be bussed to Lincolnshire to pick cabbage all day? That's why the fields are full of EU and a lot of illegals as Brits won't do the jobs.
I'm not sure what the answers are but I'm certain it's not what Labour think they are , based on the current crop of politicians! Rant over.:(