Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK & Australian Music

UK & Australian Music

Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:17 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK & Australian Music

Originally Posted by willamos
Loreena McKennitt is a respected world music artist.

Ron Sexsmith is one of the world's most respected singer-songwriters admired by the likes of Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello and Paul McCartney.

Feist is a respected female singer-songwriter.

Robbie Robertson was in The Band - you know, famous for songs like The Weight?

Rufus Wainwright is a critically revered singer-songwriter also.
....and? But not well recognised. You ask a hundred people on the street and the majority will not know who they are. I recognise most of that list, but my wife wouldn't.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:21 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Probably because, most aussies have better things to do than listen to music, i could,nt tell the last time i turned a radio on and listened to music.
Theres surf to be surfed, track s to ride , beachs to metal detected, drives to be driven, gardens to be gardended..........etc mm
That is so willfully bogan, ocker and unsophisticated it is genuinely frightening to read.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:24 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
....and? But not well recognised. You ask a hundred people on the street and the majority will not know who they are. I recognise most of that list, but my wife wouldn't.
Anyway - this is not relevant. I wasn't even really focussing on Canadian music. I only listed those artists because someone (you?) implied there were no more Canadian artists than Australian ones.

And anyway, you're forgetting I also mentioned Buble, Morrissette, Mitchell etc.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

That is so willfully bogan, ocker and unsophisticated it is genuinely frightening to read.
But MrMover forgets..
many a proud Bogan I have met lists music as one of his loves. Many a guitar - several! are laid to rest in display in a corner near an amp. It's up there with the pretend bar that is so universal.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:55 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

And the award for childish post of the week goes to...Northernbird!!!
Not really mate, she is spot on. There was another poster, Camponotus, that waged a similar campaign a while back. Your posts are identical.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
Not really mate, she is spot on. There was another poster, Camponotus, that waged a similar campaign a while back. Your posts are identical.
So because my view is that Aussie music is inferior to UK music my view is in itself dismissed?

Right, fair enough.

Who is this campotus? What's that got to do with anything?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:03 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

I've got two words for you.....

Rolf Harris

Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:08 am
Account Closed

So because my view is that Aussie music is inferior to UK music my view is in itself dismissed?

Right, fair enough.

Who is this campotus? What's that got to do with anything?
I was referring to your constant need, for reasons best known to yourself, to run down Australia in any way possible. You even pop up on threads that have nothing to do with Australia and spout this stuff.
You can do what you like mate but I thought I should point out that it makes you appear deranged.
Australian music is very average indeed by the way.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:11 am
Banned

I was referring to your constant need, for reasons best known to yourself, to run down Australia in any way possible. You even pop up on threads that have nothing to do with Australia and spout this stuff.
You can do what you like mate but I thought I should point out that it makes you appear deranged.
Australian music is very average indeed by the way.
Don't always run it down actually.

My view, if you care (and I assume you don't) is that Australia and the UK are, taken overall, fairly equal.

The ''UK is total s***, Australia is the way forward'' bias on websites like this is totally irritating and needs redressing. That's all.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:11 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

10cc
52nd Street
808 State
A II Z
A Certain Ratio
Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias
Alfie
Alpinestars
Amplifier
Audioweb
Autechre
Badly Drawn Boy
Ed Banger and The Nosebleeds
Barclay James Harvest
Beecher
Bette Davis and the Balconettes
The Bee Gees
Beau Leisure
Big Flame
Billy Ruffian
Black Grape
Blak Twang
Blue Orchids
Tim Booth
Brassy
Elkie Brooks
Ian Brown
Victor Brox
Mark Burgess
Tim Burgess
Buzzcocks
The Chameleons
The Chemical Brothers
Cherry Ghost
Cleopatra
The Clint Boon Experience
Cohesion
The Courteeners
John Cooper Clarke
Crispy Ambulance
The Distractions
Doves
The Durutti Column
Easterhouse
Elbow
Electronic
The Fall
Fear Of Music
Fingathing
Freddie and the Dreamers
Freeloaders
The Freezing Fog
The Freshies
Stephen Fretwell
Future Sound of London
David Gray
A Guy Called Gerald
Happy Mondays
Herman's Hermits
Tom Hingley
Tom Hingley and the Lovers
The Hollies
I Am Kloot
Inspiral Carpets
It's Immaterial
J-Walk
James
Davy Jones
Joy Division
Kinesis
King of the Slums
Lamb
Last Chance
The Longcut
Long-view
Ludus
Luxuria
M People
Magazine
MC Tunes
Man From Delmonte
Marconi Union
Johnny Marr
John Mayall
John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers
The Mindbenders
Mint Royale
Mock Turtles
Monaco
Morrissey
The Mothmen
Mr. Scruff
N-Trance
National Forest
New Order
Nine Black Alps
Northern Uproar
Jim Noir
Northside
Oasis
Oceansize
Omerta
The Other Two
Our Innocence Lost
Mark Owen
Paris Angels
The Passage
Puressence
Quando Quango
Rae & Christian
The Railway Children
Lou Rhodes
Sad Café
The Seahorses
The Shirehorses
Frank Sidebottom
Simply Red
Slaughter & The Dogs
The Smirks
The Smiths
So Shush
Sonic Boom Six
Space Monkeys
John Squire
Starsailor
Sub Sub
The Stone Roses
Sweet Sensation
Swing Out Sister
Take That
Theatre of Hate
The Ting Tings
Twisted Wheel
Van der Graaf Generator
The Verve
The Waltones
When in Rome
The Whip
World of Twist

I have heard of most of these bands and some of them are internationally know... and they all come from one English city.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:13 am
Banned

And don't try and tell me that these forums aren't biased towards an over-praising of Australia and an undervaluing of the UK because they bloody well are.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:15 am
Banned

And who is campotus? Can't find someone of that name.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:16 am
Account Closed

Don't always run it down actually.

My view, if you care (and I assume you don't) is that Australia and the UK are, taken overall, fairly equal.

The ''UK is total s***, Australia is the way forward'' bias on websites like this is totally irritating and needs redressing. That's all.
I agree with you which makes me wonder why we spend so much time arguing
I don't really agree that there is a massive Australia bias though, there are a great many posters who, love it or hate it here, are very realistic about the downsides. Then you have a section that has the polar opposite, Aus is total s+++ and the UK is the way forward. I didn't notice you making any pro Aussy posts in MBTTUK for balance
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:20 am
Banned

I agree with you which makes me wonder why we spend so much time arguing
I don't really agree that there is a massive Australia bias though, there are a great many posters who, love it or hate it here, are very realistic about the downsides. Then you have a section that has the polar opposite, Aus is total s+++ and the UK is the way forward. I didn't notice you making any pro Aussy posts in MBTTUK for balance
If people made absurd criticisms of Australia, I would argue against them. But generally people don't do that.

Far, far more often, people make absurd criticisms of the UK and totally over-the-top proclamations about the virtues of Australia.

Just the way it is.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

And don't try and tell me that these forums aren't biased towards an over-praising of Australia and an undervaluing of the UK because they bloody well are.
How many times does it need to be said.

It takes all sorts mate. There are plenty of posts which rubbish Australia. There is normally at least one-four campaigners at any one time. In recent times they have been a bit quieter.

The difference is that the people who tend to rubbish Australia do come over as needing medication at times.

The people who rubbish the UK tend to do it in very measured, specific doses - (to keep the medication theme going) and as I've said before can normally be disregarded as they tend to bang on about crime or religion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.