Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK & Australian Music

UK & Australian Music

Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:25 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK & Australian Music

Mentioning Men at Work and their ilk is like promoting British music via reference to Take That.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
I know UK music is the best. Was simply pointing out that Canada has contributed more to international popular music than Australia has.

Who on the list did you not recognise?
Loreena McKennitt, Feist, Ron Sexsmith, Robbie Robertson, Rufus Wainwright.

Names don't even look familiar. I could add Deep Blue C, Sarah McLachlan, Nickelback to the list. Everyone will have a different view on music and who is internationally recognised or not. I didn't recognise all on your list so I dare say there are a few others that might not too. Internationally recognised to me means you could go and say a name in any country and people would know them. I would say the UK probably produces or has produced more of those names than any other country.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:27 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
He has a theory that everything Australian is shit and here is another post to try and prove it.
And the award for childish post of the week goes to...Northernbird!!!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Mentioning Men at Work and their ilk is like promoting British music via reference to Take That.
But surely Men at Work's finest hour was at least fun and amusing, and in keeping with the times, unlike most of TakeThat. Men at Work's Down Under will still go on in ways that Fake Twat won't.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

And the award for childish post of the week goes to...Northernbird!!!
Oh good, I love awards. What do I win???
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:29 am
Banned

Loreena McKennitt, Feist, Ron Sexsmith, Robbie Robertson, Rufus Wainwright.

Names don't even look familiar. I could add Deep Blue C, Sarah McLachlan, Nickelback to the list. Everyone will have a different view on music and who is internationally recognised or not. I didn't recognise all on your list so I dare say there are a few others that might not too. Internationally recognised to me means you could go and say a name in any country and people would know them. I would say the UK probably produces or has produced more of those names than any other country.
Loreena McKennitt is a respected world music artist.

Ron Sexsmith is one of the world's most respected singer-songwriters admired by the likes of Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello and Paul McCartney.

Feist is a respected female singer-songwriter.

Robbie Robertson was in The Band - you know, famous for songs like The Weight?

Rufus Wainwright is a critically revered singer-songwriter also.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

Loreena McKennitt is a respected world music artist.

Ron Sexsmith is one of the world's most respected singer-songwriters admired by the likes of Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello and Paul McCartney.

Feist is a respected female singer-songwriter.

Robbie Robertson was in The Band - you know, famous for songs like The Weight?

Rufus Wainwright is a critically revered singer-songwriter also.
Still haven't heard of them and suspect that a lot of ordinary folk wouldn't either. Maybe I have become too bogan to listen to that kind of thing.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Still haven't heard of them and suspect that a lot of ordinary folk wouldn't either. Maybe I have become too bogan to listen to that kind of thing.
It's fair to say that they are not as well known as Queen, or old Elvis.
Has anyone asked them why their music is therefore not instantly known, and what they think of that?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You've been spending too much time listening to Steptacular haven't you!?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by bcworld
You've been spending too much time listening to Steptacular haven't you!?
It's a tragedy! But hey, better the devil you know
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:46 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because, most aussies have better things to do than listen to music, i could,nt tell the last time i turned a radio on and listened to music.
Theres surf to be surfed, track s to ride , beachs to metal detected, drives to be driven, gardens to be gardended..........etc mm
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
i could,nt tell the last time i turned a radio on and listened to music.
There is another reason for that....generally I'd rather listen to the rumble of the tyres than Aussie radio! But we've been there and done that thread.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:11 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying there aren't lots of Aussie bands. But how many of your list there are internationally recognised/successful/respected?

same deal with your list of Canadians though. Given the size of the country, population, proximity to America and language Canada is a huge underachiever. Australia have the largest selling rock band of all time
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:12 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

None of those bands are comparable to The Beatles, Led Zep, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Oasis, Blur, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Suede, Radiohead, Florence and the Machine, The Verve, Pink Floyd etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Not comparable in any way.

If you think they are, you don't know music very well.
You ask the Yanks who The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Suede, Florence and the Machine, The Verve are.

You are looking at it from a British point of view only.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:15 am
I'm Old Gregg!

I know UK music is the best. Was simply pointing out that Canada has contributed more to international popular music than Australia has.

Who on the list did you not recognise?
I reckon if you asked the average Aussie who

Loreena McKennitt, Feist, Ron Sexsmith, Robbie Robertson, Rufus Wainwright are and they would have no idea. So your point about the list of Aussies that were given is equally as relevant to Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.