Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Originally Posted by bcworld
Interesting.

My Sydney hotel has received several positive reviews since my dealings with them. Strangely they always come from new TA members, who have only ever written one review...one of them even claims to live in the same suburb as the hotel, not sure why they were staying there!

Hotel management comments on any negative reviews that they are fake - the irony!

Not sure why TA doesn't just go ahead and blacklist them.
A hotel asking people to write positive reviews is certainly immoral but is it illegal?

Don't know just asking.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:02 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A hotel asking people to write positive reviews is certainly immoral but is it illegal?

Don't know just asking.
Providing an incitement to give a positive review is illegal in quite a few countries, according to the article that MP linked.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Personally I would remove the review. I would probably write some snotty comment to them about rising their act and not hiding behind excuses but realistically in this day and age it is just so hard to succeed in business and they have been a.quite polite b.asked you to talk with the owner who obviously wants to sort it out.

I just dont want, in my life, to hurt anyone just to make a point or stick to my guns. They didnt hurt you, you just had a sh*t experience. You could perhaps tone it down a little even so still offer a negative review but not quite so cutthroat.

I mean, in terms of karma, what are you gaining by this? like if you go through life trying hard to just make life a little nicer for the people around you then I reckon its a good thing. And I know that people staying there need a little niceness but it sounds to me like the owner is now very aware of how important it is to go the extra yard and so you have made your point.

We were booking the other day - sent a booking but hadnt confirmed then I went on tripadvisor and there were all these stories about the owner attacking people and dragging one persons wife out while they were having dinner - by her hair. It was hysterical but needless to say we didnt book.

I dont book anything more than a night these days without checking TA - its a good site and we since my OH is away prob 260 days a year he is just so over the strange hotels that you can get here
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Where is it? Emelems and I will go and be undercover if you like - I am just about to book for 5 days in Sydney for us - be a laugh. But it has to be like city or darlinghurst or somewhere like that
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

talk about conspiracy theories - I just tried to give Karma to joebloggs who said " I would totally take the money" and it said "you cannot give karma for this post'' - whats that all about?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
offer a negative review but not quite so cutthroat.
The review wasn't 'cutthroat'. It was the fact that I included photos of my room and the hotel that attracted their attention.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:24 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The review wasn't 'cutthroat'. It was the fact that I included photos of my room and the hotel that attracted their attention.
There has just been a discussion on LBC here in London on something similiar,hotels getting people to assume lots of cyber identities and blogging how great their 'stay' was,one guy phoned in saying he had 200 alias' and was doing very well thank you very much.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

talk about conspiracy theories - I just tried to give Karma to joebloggs who said " I would totally take the money" and it said "you cannot give karma for this post'' - whats that all about?
Its a thread thats a couple of months old, I think there might be a time limit on karma, I've had the same a few times (just guessing though, I may be wrong)
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:10 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Leave the review up, if it is representative of your experience at that time.

If the hotel owners want to get their custom back, then they simply have to start listening to their customers and taking on their views.... That means spending money on things like renovations, improved service, improved cleanliness.

Instead of trying to manipulate the ratings, they need to fix up the hotel...
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:17 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would remove the review. I would probably write some snotty comment to them about rising their act and not hiding behind excuses but realistically in this day and age it is just so hard to succeed in business and they have been a.quite polite b.asked you to talk with the owner who obviously wants to sort it out.

I just dont want, in my life, to hurt anyone just to make a point or stick to my guns. They didnt hurt you, you just had a sh*t experience. You could perhaps tone it down a little even so still offer a negative review but not quite so cutthroat.

I mean, in terms of karma, what are you gaining by this? like if you go through life trying hard to just make life a little nicer for the people around you then I reckon its a good thing. And I know that people staying there need a little niceness but it sounds to me like the owner is now very aware of how important it is to go the extra yard and so you have made your point.

We were booking the other day - sent a booking but hadnt confirmed then I went on tripadvisor and there were all these stories about the owner attacking people and dragging one persons wife out while they were having dinner - by her hair. It was hysterical but needless to say we didnt book.

I dont book anything more than a night these days without checking TA - its a good site and we since my OH is away prob 260 days a year he is just so over the strange hotels that you can get here
eh?

On the one hand you say you don't book anything without checking TA first. Presumably this means that you are relying on other's positive and negative experiences.

Then on the other you say you "don't want to hurt anyone" in your life just to make a point.

Seems to me that the owners of hotels with negative reviews, are being hurt by your discriminatory choices.

In karmic terms, this will all result in you being re-incarnated as a mongoose in your next life.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it is viral

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/g...-1226093567849