Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Old May 4th 2011, 10:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Originally Posted by bcworld
What would you do? Take the money and remove the review? Just remove the review? Leave the review and dob them in to Tripadvisor? Or something else? My gut feeling is to ask them to remove all the management comments from other guests reviews and perhaps ask them to be more honest in their marketing and wait and see what happens before removing the pics.
They've shot themselves in the foot.

The offer of full refund is a tacit admission that your experience was very poor, which means your review is entirely valid and you are under no obligation to remove it. If they agree you deserve a refund, they should be giving it to you with no strings attached. A refund is not supposed to be a bribe.

I would point this out to them, refuse the money and inform Tripadvisor, quoting the hotel's messages in full. Don't ask them to remove anything; let Tripadvisor take care of this.
Old May 4th 2011, 11:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They've shot themselves in the foot.

The offer of full refund is a tacit admission that your experience was very poor, which means your review is entirely valid and you are under no obligation to remove it. If they agree you deserve a refund, they should be giving it to you with no strings attached. A refund is not supposed to be a bribe.

I would point this out to them, refuse the money and inform Tripadvisor, quoting the hotel's messages in full. Don't ask them to remove anything; let Tripadvisor take care of this.
I think Vash has a point. If they've updated the room and if they're really apologetic then they'd offer a refund with no strings attached. Can't you go back, pretend you're looking to book a room for a friend who's coming over for a trip and see for yourself if the rooms are any better?

I wouldn't take the review down and i'd definitely pass on the emails to tripadvisor. The hotel is running a business, if they let things slip, it's not down to you the customer to make life easy for them. They have to pull their socks up and get honest positive reviews.
Old May 4th 2011, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd totally take the money
Old May 4th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Don't change anything. If they have really changed their ways eventually new reviews will reflect this over time, if not then they deserve to suffer from providing a service that is unsatisfactory. There are times when people have turned their business round and made vast improvements but it is not your business to constantly keep up to date, you made your review based on your experience AT THAT TIME. You have no responsibilities to this Hotel but it's good that you care. I often visit the North Shore area so if you care that much for a couple of hundred dollars I can check it out for you and if its changed we are both winners
Old May 4th 2011, 12:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Post another review saying the hotel has contacted you and informed you that blah blah blah, but that your booking was definitely for xyz and, as far as you are concerned, your review is a true representation of your experience.

I wouldn't mention the attempt at bribery on the site itself, but might let Trip Advisor know about it.

I remember you staying there and thinking, oh the poor bugger! Think I commented on it on here, too. (Haven't been inside, but the impression from the outside is not good.)
Old May 4th 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I'd leave the review online, refuse the bribe and tell TripAdvisor about what the hotel has tried to do to you. I used TripAdvisor quite a lot last year when planning our holiday and booking 5 weeks of accommodation - I thought it a really useful site. If poor reviews get pulled or sanitised, then you might as well just believe the advertising blurb of any travel-related business. Travel costs so much and it has a huge effect on your whole holiday or business trip, if you have a bad experience with accommodation, flights or something else. The last week of our trip we stayed at a place not on TripAdvisor and it was a big and expensive mistake. Which reminds me, I must put up a view on TripAdvisor about it ...
Old May 4th 2011, 1:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
i dont agree, I think that is a bit harsh. The problem with Trip Advisor when you run a small business is it can REALLY hurt you if you stuff up. The problem with posting a bad review (and I have done it) is that it sticks, and people will avoid going to that place, even long after the hotel or whatever has fixed its ways. I think a good test is where there as loads of poor reviews and clear the manager or owner isnt bothered by them and ignores them, but if someone reaches out and tries to compromise with you and offer some sense of acknowledgement and refund I think thats actually quite an OK thing to do and makes perfect business sense. Reporting them to the Paper for trying to fix their ways seems a bit humbug to me, and I bet if it where someone you know running the hotel youd be far more leniant.

come on guys lighten up a bit, be flexible, charitable, and accepting.
How is it harsh to tell the truth? And no, I would not be more lenient if someone I know runs a hotel. In fact, on Tripadvisor a country inn owned and run by people I know in Canada has some really horrible reviews. All true and one of them is mine.

How is it flexible, charitable and accepting to take a bribe? Are bribes legally or morallly accepted in your world?
Old May 4th 2011, 2:06 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Last year when working in Sydney I made a fairly last minute booking at a busy time and ended up with very little choice of where to stay.

I ended up in a small North Shore hotel.

It was a HOLE...my room was shocking, but I knew everywhere else was full and I wasn't prepared to ask my employer to pay the $500/night it would've cost to get a room somewhere in the CBD that week.

A few months later I came across some photos I took to send to the people back at the office so they could have a laugh about it...and I decided to put a review on Tripadvisor, with the photos.

My review was just the latest of a seriers of dismal reviews...generally 1 blob out of 5 on the Tripadvisor scale, so my experience wasn't unusual.

This week I was contacted by that hotel, who seems to have recently signed up a tripadvisor account. They told me that since the review and photos were posted they have experienced a significant loss of business; that my photos are not representative of most of the other rooms and that the room I stayed in was a budget room (not how it was advertised - the words luxury & refurbished were used). They offered me a partial refund and asked me to consider removing the photos. I told them I wasn't interested. I'm a bit annoyed because they have commented on all the negative reviews stating that they believe they MAY have been posted by a rival hotel or disgruntled ex employee. They have also commented on my review that I was staying in their budget accommodation when as I said that wasn't what I paid for or believed I was getting.

Miraculously since the hotel signed up to Tripadvisor a few weeks ago they received some positive reviews at last! Tripadvisor has since deleted at least one of them. Written by themselves I expect.

They have now written to me again, offering me a full refund ($400) directly in return for deleting my review. The have stated that they estimate their loss of turnover at up to $80k!!! And they would like me to talk to the owner.

All of this is completely inappropriate through the Tripadvisor system of course.

They seem desperate, and they believe they have been 'sufficiently penalised' - their words. I don't have any interest in putting them out of business but their hotel stinks...my review is accurate and I didn't even write much, just let the photos do the talking.

What would you do? Take the money and remove the review? Just remove the review? Leave the review and dob them in to Tripadvisor? Or something else? My gut feeling is to ask them to remove all the management comments from other guests reviews and perhaps ask them to be more honest in their marketing and wait and see what happens before removing the pics.
Don't convert your money to sterling and remove the review.

Would you write a poor review for 100 pound a night in London? Of course not.

"My experience was shit, the buildings were old and the room was small....I can't believe I spent 100 quid!!!" You comments make you sound like a whinging cheaparse even though I'm sure in reality you are not. Some of these busineses can struggle to get the staff they need.

Last edited by Weebie; May 4th 2011 at 2:16 pm.
Old May 4th 2011, 2:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie

"My experience was shit, the buildings were old and the room was small....I can't believe I spent 100 quid!!!" You comments make you sound like a whinging cheaparse even though I'm sure in reality you are not.
Where do you get 100 pounds? BC clearly said they offered him a full refund of $400. 100 pounds is nowhere near $400.
Old May 4th 2011, 2:26 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

for 100 sterling in London I would expect a similar quality for 300-400 bucks in Sydney. Just because people earn more than other countries many people seem to think they should recieve better value which is complete crap

Some hotels in Sydney especially at certain times can be outrageously high priced. I remember having to sleep on the streets one night becuse I couldn't find a room.

can pay 300 bucks for some shocking hotels here in Perth. and unlike Sydney we have plenty of room and limited tourists.

The Hotel is incorrect at labelling its room luxurious etc if there not but all the hotels talk up their rooms even if there shit. It's only trying to compete like lieing just a little in your resume.

Last edited by Weebie; May 4th 2011 at 2:28 pm.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

CoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the rough

Leave the review up there. If the hotel has got its act together and improved the latest reviews will reflect this and also will show the reviews on Trip Advisor have made the hotelier realise that they needed to improve.
I use Trip Adisor all the time and would be really cross if I knew someone was bribed to removed a review.
Old May 4th 2011, 4:54 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Last year when working in Sydney I made a fairly last minute booking at a busy time and ended up with very little choice of where to stay.

I ended up in a small North Shore hotel.

It was a HOLE...my room was shocking, but I knew everywhere else was full and I wasn't prepared to ask my employer to pay the $500/night it would've cost to get a room somewhere in the CBD that week.

A few months later I came across some photos I took to send to the people back at the office so they could have a laugh about it...and I decided to put a review on Tripadvisor, with the photos.

My review was just the latest of a seriers of dismal reviews...generally 1 blob out of 5 on the Tripadvisor scale, so my experience wasn't unusual.

This week I was contacted by that hotel, who seems to have recently signed up a tripadvisor account. They told me that since the review and photos were posted they have experienced a significant loss of business; that my photos are not representative of most of the other rooms and that the room I stayed in was a budget room (not how it was advertised - the words luxury & refurbished were used). They offered me a partial refund and asked me to consider removing the photos. I told them I wasn't interested. I'm a bit annoyed because they have commented on all the negative reviews stating that they believe they MAY have been posted by a rival hotel or disgruntled ex employee. They have also commented on my review that I was staying in their budget accommodation when as I said that wasn't what I paid for or believed I was getting.

Miraculously since the hotel signed up to Tripadvisor a few weeks ago they received some positive reviews at last! Tripadvisor has since deleted at least one of them. Written by themselves I expect.

They have now written to me again, offering me a full refund ($400) directly in return for deleting my review. The have stated that they estimate their loss of turnover at up to $80k!!! And they would like me to talk to the owner.

All of this is completely inappropriate through the Tripadvisor system of course.

They seem desperate, and they believe they have been 'sufficiently penalised' - their words. I don't have any interest in putting them out of business but their hotel stinks...my review is accurate and I didn't even write much, just let the photos do the talking.

Hiya

I don't know anythign about the TripAdvisor system, but the highlighted comment above struck me.

Do the hotels sign up to this system? If that is the case, then I am sure that TripAdvisor would have a code of practice, which, in all honesty, sounds like the hotel have completely ignored.

They have resorted to bribery in order to try to get you to rescind your review. Extremely unprofessional IMO. If they had approached you and offered you a chance to revisit the hotel and make a subsequent review, as a follow on for the original, then fair enough, but that is not what they have done. I think people would be more impressed by seeing how a business has been proactive and improved things if they see follow ups from earlier reviews.

They have also inferred that it is your fault that they have lost 80k worth of business!! I would be taking offence at that. Or be extremely proud You have to ask yourself that if one poor review is costing them 80k, then they are doing something majorly wrong with their business.

If I where you, I would be sending all the comunications to TripAdvisor for them to sort out or askign them for their advice.

Good luck
Old May 4th 2011, 5:05 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

for 100 sterling in London I would expect a similar quality for 300-400 bucks in Sydney. Just because people earn more than other countries many people seem to think they should recieve better value which is complete crap

Some hotels in Sydney especially at certain times can be outrageously high priced. I remember having to sleep on the streets one night becuse I couldn't find a room.

can pay 300 bucks for some shocking hotels here in Perth. and unlike Sydney we have plenty of room and limited tourists.

The Hotel is incorrect at labelling its room luxurious etc if there not but all the hotels talk up their rooms even if there shit. It's only trying to compete like lieing just a little in your resume.
And anyone who did lie in their resume, should be prepared to take the consequences when they are found out...such as losing their job, just as a hotel who has lied or misled in it's advertising should be prepared to deal with poor reviews.

Do you actually think about what you are typing, or is your literary diaorrhea a medical condition?

Last edited by rasen78; May 4th 2011 at 5:07 pm.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:28 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

The whole idea of trip adviser is for people to report on their stay and if yours was shit and you have included photo's, then so be it. If the hotel has lifted their game then it's worked and reviews will get better. If not then the poor reviews will continue.

At the end of the day the site is great for anyone who wants inside info on hotel stays. Sometimes people write poor reviews when others would have been quite happy, but overall you get a good ideaof the overall feeling towards a place. It's great that it works and this hotel needs to unerstand if they get their act together their reviews will speak for themselves.

No one wants to see any place close down but bribing customers is not the way to go. They need to get their shit together. I say tell them to stuff the money, it's not your fault they're losing cash it's theirs and if they provide a service to match what people pay then their business will pick up regardless of what you've reported.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:27 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

"My experience was shit, the buildings were old and the room was small....I can't believe I spent 100 quid!!!" You comments make you sound like a whinging cheaparse even though I'm sure in reality you are not. Some of these busineses can struggle to get the staff they need.
Sorry Wibble, as is customary, you've lost me.

Ive lived in Australia for 8 years, consequently I don't go around converting the price of every good or service to GBP. I've stayed in dozens of hotels in that time, various price brackets and this is the first one I've felt compelled to write a negative review for.

With enough forward planning, sometimes not even that, you can get a decent room in the CBD for what I paid for this place in a fairly non descript location on the North Shore.

As for the 'whinging'...I wondered how long that would take, congrats, you win a prize!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.