Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

transferring money to oz

transferring money to oz

Old May 17th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default transferring money to oz

Will we get a much better rate with hifx or transfers than if we use our bank HSBC to transfer our money to Oz?
Old May 17th 2006, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transferring money to oz

Originally Posted by Luma
Will we get a much better rate with hifx or transfers than if we use our bank HSBC to transfer our money to Oz?

I got 2.44 quoted today from ozforex.

I'm going to wait until we get there and then see what the bank will offer as opposed to ozforex and I will take the highest.
Old May 19th 2006, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

New question:

Which is better HIFX or TRANZFERS?
Old May 19th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

New question:

Which is better HIFX or TRANZFERS?
Register with them both. When you are ready to change - ring them both up in turn and find out what they're offering. Go with who gives you the most $$ for your ££
Old May 19th 2006, 7:47 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

An article for you to read first.

Make sure you compare apples with apples.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/fi...ferring-funds/
Old May 19th 2006, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the tips.

Bix - I'll read the article.
Old May 19th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been watching the current exchange rate with interest and plan to use Tranzfers, but can I ask probably a really stupid question ?

Do you need an Oz bank account for Tranzfers to put the money into or will they hold onto it for you until you get one set up ?
Old May 19th 2006, 11:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
I've been watching the current exchange rate with interest and plan to use Tranzfers, but can I ask probably a really stupid question ?

Do you need an Oz bank account for Tranzfers to put the money into or will they hold onto it for you until you get one set up ?
No, you don't need an account as I can give you one to transfer your dosh to

Tranzfers for smaller amounts / Ozforex for larger amounts.
They are the same company.
Fee structure is different as of course you will get a better deal on moving larger amounts.
Give them a call as they are extremely approachable and will discuss it with you.
Old May 19th 2006, 10:54 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I have an account with HSBC but their rates are not very good, plus they charge for receiving international cash.

I used to have forward contracts with HIFX but was lured by them into a six month contract for my pension at 2.22 - the spot rate actually varied from around 2.30 to 2.4 so I ddn't do too well there! swings and roundabouts.

My pension fund has a bulk arrangement with Bank of New York: it send $xm a month to them and BoNY farms it out to the pensioners in the various far-off lands: after 3 months of that I worked out that BoNY was relieving me of nearly £1500 a year for the privilege, so I have now started an arrangement with Tranzfers to do a monthly transfer to Australia. We'll see how it goes...

What I am saying, really, is that there is no sure-fire way of getting the best arrangement: you have to be prepared to look around and weigh up the pros and cons.

I have brought across quite a number of chunks of cash via Tranzfers over a couple of years and have found them to be very helpful and efficient, even when I have cocked up things like account numbers etc!
Old May 20th 2006, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that Wol

Originally Posted by Wol
I have an account with HSBC but their rates are not very good, plus they charge for receiving international cash.

I used to have forward contracts with HIFX but was lured by them into a six month contract for my pension at 2.22 - the spot rate actually varied from around 2.30 to 2.4 so I ddn't do too well there! swings and roundabouts.

My pension fund has a bulk arrangement with Bank of New York: it send $xm a month to them and BoNY farms it out to the pensioners in the various far-off lands: after 3 months of that I worked out that BoNY was relieving me of nearly £1500 a year for the privilege, so I have now started an arrangement with Tranzfers to do a monthly transfer to Australia. We'll see how it goes...

What I am saying, really, is that there is no sure-fire way of getting the best arrangement: you have to be prepared to look around and weigh up the pros and cons.

I have brought across quite a number of chunks of cash via Tranzfers over a couple of years and have found them to be very helpful and efficient, even when I have cocked up things like account numbers etc!
Old May 20th 2006, 7:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Wol
Pleasure. Are you from the Newbury area?
Old May 21st 2006, 8:55 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bix
Tranzfers for smaller amounts / Ozforex for larger amounts.
ta bix - I've wondered what the difference between OzForex and Tranzfers was!

Martyn