Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

TPG Internet any experience

TPG Internet any experience

Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:35 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: TPG Internet any experience

Originally Posted by edie209
..Is it like the UK in the sense that you have to have a land line?
Yes - and theres a trick to this too.

Officialy you can only have a 'shared service' on your telstra line if you have the "HomeLine Complete" phone plan (or higher) costing $27.95 a month. Any attempts to add an ADSL service to a "Home Budget" phone plan ($20.95 pm) will be met with scorn.

The thing to to do is get the Homeline complete, get ADSL all set up and running correctly - then phone Telstra and ask to be transferred to the budget plan. They will winge, moan and remind you that you 'cant' run ADSL on this service, but if you perservere (and dont tell them you intend to continue using ADSL) they will bill you less.

Telstra have data privacy issues the ACCC (Australian Consumer Commision C????) have dictated that internet and phone divisions must NOT divulge customer information to each other without consent and the phone line part of the business CANNOT determine that you have an ADSL service running on the line. As long as you dont tell them there is no way for this to go wrong.

... When I first heard this plan I was sceptical to say the least, but sure enough I now have ADSL2+ service running on a Homeline Budget phone line - so it does work!

(TPG last time I looked didnt have any "Naked DSL" plans - and those that *did* offer naked plans on my exchange had 'double-dip metering' which for me was a deal breaker!)
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:13 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

Officialy you can only have a 'shared service' on your telstra line if you have the "HomeLine Complete" phone plan (or higher) costing $27.95 a month. Any attempts to add an ADSL service to a "Home Budget" phone plan ($20.95 pm) will be met with scorn.

The thing to to do is get the Homeline complete, get ADSL all set up and running correctly - then phone Telstra and ask to be transferred to the budget plan. They will winge, moan and remind you that you 'cant' run ADSL on this service, but if you perservere (and dont tell them you intend to continue using ADSL) they will bill you less.

Telstra have data privacy issues the ACCC (Australian Consumer Commision C????) have dictated that internet and phone divisions must NOT divulge customer information to each other without consent and the phone line part of the business CANNOT determine that you have an ADSL service running on the line. As long as you dont tell them there is no way for this to go wrong.

... When I first heard this plan I was sceptical to say the least, but sure enough I now have ADSL2+ service running on a Homeline Budget phone line - so it does work!

(TPG last time I looked didnt have any "Naked DSL" plans - and those that *did* offer naked plans on my exchange had 'double-dip metering' which for me was a deal breaker!)

I have this running too - Home Budget with Telstra and ADSL2+ with Internode. I would certainly recommend Internode for your broadband service for two very important reasons:

1) They don't meter upstream traffic, which most other ISPs seem to do
2) Internode have declined to take part in the Federal Government's ludicrous internet censorship filtering trial.

S
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:44 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a client with tpg and found their customer service/tech support team absolutely hopeless.

I am with internode and cannot praise them highly enough

Vivienne
Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

With TPG....couldn't get ADSL2, so ASDL which is OK. Not had any problems. Have VOIP with them too...free calls to Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane etc. Spoke to their customer support & found them very helpful. They were recommended to me & I have in turn recommended them.

from us
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:10 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

My VOIP is with mynetfone. If you are a member of www.whirlpool.net,au you have access to a few different accounts not published to general public.

I pay $5 and get free untimed calls Austalia-wide AND UK (amongst other contries)... well worth it.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

We just took the basic Telstra home budget plan and it wasn't a problem....no questions asked.....
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:08 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My VOIP is with mynetfone. If you are a member of www.whirlpool.net,au you have access to a few different accounts not published to general public.

I pay $5 and get free untimed calls Austalia-wide AND UK (amongst other contries)... well worth it.
Is VOIP the way to go? I've been using Telstra and hardly use my phone yet it's costing me in line rental etc every month. It's an expense I want to get rid of.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:12 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Is VOIP the way to go? I've been using Telstra and hardly use my phone yet it's costing me in line rental etc every month. It's an expense I want to get rid of.

You could move to a naked package, but they are more expensive, and the additional expense usually only offsets the saving in not having a phone line.

S
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You could move to a naked package, but they are more expensive, and the additional expense usually only offsets the saving in not having a phone line.

S
So not worth doing then? Sorry. Bit of a phone numpty.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:27 pm
has lost The Game

So not worth doing then? Sorry. Bit of a phone numpty.

It's all pretty much of a muchness. Having a look at the costs with Internode:

Extreme ADSL2+, 25 Gb download limit, no upstream limit

Regular Naked

$59.95 $69.95

So a saving of $10/month already, though the minimum VOIP charge is $5/month, for $10 worth of calls, so the real saving is only $5.

An alternative is to get any friends to use Gmail, and just use the Googletalk Voice and Video application, and chat using that for free.

So I keep my landline, as it occasionally comes in handy. I never answer it though.

S
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:43 pm

It's all pretty much of a muchness. Having a look at the costs with Internode:

Extreme ADSL2+, 25 Gb download limit, no upstream limit

Regular Naked

$59.95 $69.95

So a saving of $10/month already, though the minimum VOIP charge is $5/month, for $10 worth of calls, so the real saving is only $5.

An alternative is to get any friends to use Gmail, and just use the Googletalk Voice and Video application, and chat using that for free.

So I keep my landline, as it occasionally comes in handy. I never answer it though.

S
Yes I keep asking them but I'm afraid all my family are techno numpties so they don't do it. Even Skype seems too hard for them.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:24 am

I have this running too - Home Budget with Telstra and ADSL2+ with Internode. I would certainly recommend Internode for your broadband service for two very important reasons:

1) They don't meter upstream traffic, which most other ISPs seem to do
2) Internode have declined to take part in the Federal Government's ludicrous internet censorship filtering trial.

S
I was just looking at the Home Budget Plan page and it says :

'HomeLine® Budget customers agree not to acquire services from other carriage service providers by dialing their access override code and must not acquire a broadband service from another service provider which is provided using line sharing technology.'

So how are you guys getting round that?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:34 am
has lost The Game

I was just looking at the Home Budget Plan page and it says :

'HomeLine® Budget customers agree not to acquire services from other carriage service providers by dialing their access override code and must not acquire a broadband service from another service provider which is provided using line sharing technology.'

So how are you guys getting round that?

Erm, ignoring it?

S
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:35 am

Erm, ignoring it?

S

Ok! And there are obviously no repercussions! Cool!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:37 am
has lost The Game

Ok! And there are obviously no repercussions! Cool!

I use an international calling card to make all my UK/USA calls, and I use Internode as my broadband provider.

Did it at my last house, for the last 14 months, and nobody has mentioned anything.

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Dec 15th 2008 at 12:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.