The Thyroid Thread

Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:11 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Thyroid Thread

Originally Posted by Urno
Thank you - amount of smileys fine

Have written your questions down word for word, so you are to blame if he strikes me off his list and boots me out for being so cheeky.

How was your appointment, Mrs Urno?

Are you still a patient at that practice?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by TandV
Wow, 19 pages read. Great post, thanks. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago (Sister is hypo, Dad is hyper) and am on 150mcg oroxine a day - was levythyroxne in the UK I think. Came off Depo Provera 12 months ago after 10 years as I wanted to reduce the medication I was taking as I still didnt feel as good as in my early 20's and have been assuming old age was taking it's toll quickly! Now only oroxine in my system and I still have symptoms that i guess could be attributed to a number of things such as but maybe I need to explore further into there is something more suitable for me.
Hi Vicky.
Sorry for the delay in replying... got a bit caught up there with Nic's stuff. Yes, you're on a T4 only medication. Research suggests that this is not a complete medication and in some people it can stop working over time, or the lack of wholeness of the medication means that you can end up getting adrenal issues and other secondary problems. A more complete medication is considered to be Armour, or a 'natural thyroid' med. Not all docs prescribe these, so you need to find someone who does. Luckily if you're in Australia, then you have a choice who to see.

People who've been on Depo provera jab report issues with the results of the TSH test, which is the bog standard 'indicator' test that all docs seem to use. It's therefore not so great as results of this test can affect the amount of medication that your doc puts you on. Other thyroid sufferers report other problems with it too.

Originally Posted by TandV
Joint pain
Thin hair
Water retention in ankles mainly
Cold intolerance
Poorer memory than most
Decreased libido - was hopoing this was down to the depo!
Bad skin
Deeper voice (begining to sound attractive!!)

I have heard that some of these symptoms exist with Depo Provera and can take a while to return back to normal when you come off the injection, has anyone heard of this? Can anyone recommend a doctor in Melbourne to see about Hypo?
Yeah, well all those symptoms could well be to do with your thyroid and possibly some adrenal issues there too. I am not sure how depo would affect your libido, but I have heard that it can... but as you know, so can the thyroid thing.
For some though, the Depo jab takes a long time to exit the body and as you've been on it for 10 years, you may find that it could take a good while to return to normality.
I'm not sure how old you are... but you may have other hormonal issues to deal with too, and what you mention about a deeper voice can be linked to a higher range of testosterone in your system, which can be caused by other conditions too....
Have you had your bloods tested for thyroid antibodies at all? And given you have hyper and hypo in your family, have you been tested for Graves disease and had a full thyroid panel done?
Do you have any recent results?

As for a doc in Melly, let me see:
On the top docs site it says this:

A reader recommends doctors from the Australian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine, Melbourne 9589 6088 for recommendation for doctor in your area. "Doctors who come through the college are willing to listen and seek alternatives to what is very essentially a very conservative practice in Australia. They are not "flat earth practitioners".

Another reader recommends the ACNEM:
“I suggest that people contact this College for recommendations of qualified medical practitioners who have studied nutrition. These doctors are very savvy in cutting edge medicine and are sprinkled all around Australia now.”
Sounds like you should contact them, asking for a doctor who prescribes natural thyroid hormones for thyroid disorders specifically and see if they come up with someone nearby. There doesn't seem to be anyone specifically listed.

Hope that helps. If you need anything else, just ask.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Go see the lady that Donna recommended
Well Nic txt me today and said she'd phoned the doc in Springwood.

$170 for a consultation! ...

That's about $165 more than we can afford with Nic out of work so that stops there ...

Back to ole mate the GP down the road I guess!

Haven't read the other posts yet, will do later. Had a bit of a day so just trying to wind down myself ...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:28 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

That's about $165 more than we can afford with Nic out of work so that stops there ...

Haven't read the other posts yet, will do later. Had a bit of a day so just trying to wind down myself ...
Oh bugger - forgot to warn you about that side of things

The one I'm going to in Sydney (TPs one) is around $300 for the initial consultation I think. To be honest though - I'd sell my body to raise the money right now (although at my age, it might take a while to raise $300!!!! )

Hope you can manage to get the money together somehow paul because it really could make the world of a difference to Nic. How about making the appt (there will be a waiting list/time no doubt) and then trying to get the funds together? If it comes to it that you cant, then you could always cancel? You dont have to pay until you go to the appt.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Went to Docs on Monday, got second set of results.

Serum TSH level is no 8.00. 4 weeks ago it was 23.41.
Anyway they've upped my dose from 50 to 75.
Cool eh!!!

Tiddly pom, i've ordered some selenium + others, i'll pm you when i get them so you can advise on doseage

Cheers everyone

Tracy
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:56 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tasmas
Hi

Went to Docs on Monday, got second set of results.

Serum TSH level is no 8.00. 4 weeks ago it was 23.41.
Anyway they've upped my dose from 50 to 75.
Cool eh!!!

Tiddly pom, i've ordered some selenium + others, i'll pm you when i get them so you can advise on doseage

Cheers everyone

Tracy
Well its all heading in the right direction Tracy - good to see

What was your FT3 and FT4?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Well its all heading in the right direction Tracy - good to see

What was your FT3 and FT4?
They don't test me for FT3. And my FT4 was the same as last time - within range 13 pmol/L (11-23R)

It feels good to see it come down!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:27 pm

They don't test me for FT3. And my FT4 was the same as last time - within range 13 pmol/L (11-23R)

It feels good to see it come down!
Your FT4 is still very low - but you'd expect that with your TSH being so high. As the TSH comes down further, the FT4 will get higher - ideally you want it to be in the top third.

Have you asked them to test your FT3? They really should do to get a full picture of whats happening. All seems to be going well so far though
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Your FT4 is still very low - but you'd expect that with your TSH being so high. As the TSH comes down further, the FT4 will get higher - ideally you want it to be in the top third.

Have you asked them to test your FT3? They really should do to get a full picture of whats happening. All seems to be going well so far though
I asked the nurse if they test for T3, and she said there's no need to. I'll ask my doc when i go back, she's a good un!

Cheers Mrs Jackaroo
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:32 pm

I asked the nurse if they test for T3, and she said there's no need to. I'll ask my doc when i go back, she's a good un!

Cheers Mrs Jackaroo
You usually have to push for FT3 (make sure its Free T3 rather than just T3) but if you're confident (not too pushy) and just state "I'd also like my FT3 tested please" you should hopefully manage it

Good luck
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

You do get some back from medicare ,cant remember how much.I dont work either but i would try and find it,beg ,borrow,steal as its the best thing i did,and at least i can function now.
Going to other drs i found was a false economy.
good luck
donna
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:24 am

I agree with Donna. Just get the money any way you can, see the doctor, reclaim much of it from Medicare.
You cannot keep seeing the GP you are currently with. That is just plain nuts. If you can't get in to see her, suggest you find another GP that's in your area who can take you seriously.

If I had the money, I'd give it to you.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

If I had the money, I'd give it to you.
I would too
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:30 am

Cheers Mrs Jackaroo
No need to! Ha!
Agree with Mrs J. Just ask... politely but firm.

Good to hear they've moved your dose up. You should see a bit more improvement for a while. Then if it slows down again and you get symptoms, you know it's time for another raise.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, Donna's recommendation has unfortunately gotta go on the back burner for now, but we went to our local GP earlier. Nic's getting another blood test tomorrow, and has been taking half a tab (100mcg) for a few days, to be continued for now.

What we did get tho, was the results of her tests so far. We only have results for TSH and one lot for all (she's had 3 lots done). He said something about Medicare won't pay for the T3 & T4 most of the time ...

Anyway,

30/01/08 - TSH 7.94

19/02/08 - TSH 9.02

12/03/08 - TSH 0.05, T4 28.4, and T3 9.4

She hasn't been tested since March so next result will prob tell us more ...

Get your teeth into that ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.