Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on life in Australia

Thoughts on life in Australia

Old May 20th 2009, 12:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on life in Australia

Originally Posted by katiev
Do you like beer,constant sunshine,sports,game shows,malls,bad television,suburban sprawl? if so you will love oz.
Beer?

I wish I could find some worth drinking
Old May 20th 2009, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

katiev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Could you please point out the suburban sprawl and malls in the photo below? We don't all live in legoland.

http://imgur.com/Euv.jpg
you are in a minority like the inner city enclaves,the majority of aussies live in legoland or even more hideous 1980s versions with the local mall as the centre of it's cultural life.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Yes, I like beer (well ale actually).

You can choose to live somewhere where there are seasons, you don't have to watch sport/game shows/TV and you don't have to live in an suburban sprawl.... just a thought
Indeed. but beer, television, attitude towards sport - these are all highly subjective. I'd rather disembowel myself with a paper clip than watch Eastenders, but my wife loves it. I'd rather siphon urine directly from a skunk's cock than drink real ale, but certain people seem to enjoy it. I find the Premiership only marginally more entertaining than piercing myself through the teste with a knitting needle, but some people seem to like it. Oh yea, and that constant sunshine, god what a drag it is.

Old May 20th 2009, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Beer?

I wish I could find some worth drinking
Brew your own?
Old May 20th 2009, 12:47 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

you are in a minority like the inner city enclaves,the majority of aussies live in legoland or even more hideous 1980s versions with the local mall as the centre of it's cultural life.
Ah I see - yes, that would (as the OP asked) be directly comparable to the UK.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Crow
Yes, I like beer (well ale actually).

You can choose to live somewhere where there are seasons, you don't have to watch sport/game shows/TV and you don't have to live in an suburban sprawl.... just a thought
I do thankfully,but the dominant culture here is unavoidable without throwing the radio/tv/papers out the window and living in a box, Im not entitled to move to the UK either which I'd greatly prefer.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:52 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. but beer, television, attitude towards sport - these are all highly subjective. I'd rather disembowel myself with a paper clip than watch Eastenders, but my wife loves it. I'd rather siphon urine directly from a skunk's cock than drink real ale, but certain people seem to enjoy it. I find the Premiership only marginally more entertaining than piercing myself through the teste with a knitting needle, but some people seem to like it. Oh yea, and that constant sunshine, god what a drag it is.

Lovely descriptions there
Old May 20th 2009, 12:53 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:54 pm
Australia's Doorman

Im not entitled to move to the UK either which I'd greatly prefer.
Where are you from originally?
Old May 20th 2009, 12:56 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Agreed.
Yea - and the British never visit out of town malls?

Is it me, or does Bluewater look like it was designed to ape a modern church? Cultural epicentre ahoi!

Old May 20th 2009, 1:05 pm

Yea - and the British never visit out of town malls?

Is it me, or does Bluewater look like it was designed to ape a modern church? Cultural epicentre ahoi!

http://www.grouptravelorganiser.com/...r_fullsize.jpg
Weird init, though hardly surprising due to the amount of churches here, place is hoaching with them. There's a new happy clappy church being built down the road from us and it's bloody huge - about half an acre bit of land!

Scary.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Weird init, though hardly surprising due to the amount of churches here, place is hoaching with them. There's a new happy clappy church being built down the road from us and it's bloody huge - about half an acre bit of land!

Scary.
Bluewater is in the UK hon!
Old May 20th 2009, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Bluewater is in the UK hon!
Whereabouts?
Old May 20th 2009, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whereabouts?
Kent
Old May 20th 2009, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Where are you from originally?
I was born and raised in Australia and have lived in every part of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.