Reload this Page >

Thoughts on life in Australia

Thoughts on life in Australia

Old May 20th 2009, 10:54 am
Just Joined

justin-ni will become famous soon enough
Default Thoughts on life in Australia

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum here and am just in the process of toying with the idea of emmigrating from Northern Ireland. If I were to go ahead with it, Australia would be pretty high up on my list: Nice weather, high HDI, no need to learn foriegn language etc.

I know this is a pretty broad and open question, but I'd love to hear from you guys about how you find Australia compared to home. I don't really have any specific questions that i'm burning to ask, but general stuff like lifestyle, people, job market, recreation, politics, oppertunities for young adults & professionals, quality of life etc etc.

I'm especially interested to hear from any folk also in their 20's, from Northern Ireland or working in the IT industry - but would also really appreciate anyones thoughts on their move.

Again, sorry for the breadth of the question, I'm just not yet at the stage of looking specifcs

Cheers!
Old May 20th 2009, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on life in Australia

Perhaps you should break down your enquiry into smaller chunks.
There is an excellent search facilty (suggest you use the advanced search option)
Lots of people from NI here but you maybe need a more specific title thread to reach them!

Welcome to BE & good luck!
Old May 20th 2009, 7:01 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justin-ni
Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum here and am just in the process of toying with the idea of emmigrating from Northern Ireland. If I were to go ahead with it, Australia would be pretty high up on my list: Nice weather, high HDI, no need to learn foriegn language etc.

I know this is a pretty broad and open question, but I'd love to hear from you guys about how you find Australia compared to home. I don't really have any specific questions that i'm burning to ask, but general stuff like lifestyle, people, job market, recreation, politics, oppertunities for young adults & professionals, quality of life etc etc.

I'm especially interested to hear from any folk also in their 20's, from Northern Ireland or working in the IT industry - but would also really appreciate anyones thoughts on their move.

Again, sorry for the breadth of the question, I'm just not yet at the stage of looking specifcs

Cheers!
I'm 32....too old to give an opinion? LOL Joking....I'm still in Sunny NI but have been to Oz...and have decided it's the place for me....now I'm just waiting for them to let me in! HA!

Where in NI r u? I'm just outside Banbridge...for my sins lol
Old May 20th 2009, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Perhaps you should break down your enquiry into smaller chunks.
There is an excellent search facilty (suggest you use the advanced search option)
Lots of people from NI here but you maybe need a more specific title thread to reach them!

Welcome to BE & good luck!
Yes good idea Sally, thanks! I've bought a book on living & working in Australia, so once I give it a read through I guess I'll know more about what I want to know

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I'm 32....too old to give an opinion? LOL Joking....I'm still in Sunny NI but have been to Oz...and have decided it's the place for me....now I'm just waiting for them to let me in! HA!

Where in NI r u? I'm just outside Banbridge...for my sins lol
Haha 32's no problem - was just extra curious about folk in my age range (23) I'm in sunny (not) Bangor, although I work in Belfast - it's the apparent chilled out lifestyle, year-round lovely weather and beautiful landscapes that I can't seem to find in Bangor / Belfast!

Cheers
Old May 20th 2009, 9:44 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Yes good idea Sally, thanks! I've bought a book on living & working in Australia, so once I give it a read through I guess I'll know more about what I want to know

Haha 32's no problem - was just extra curious about folk in my age range (23) I'm in sunny (not) Bangor, although I work in Belfast - it's the apparent chilled out lifestyle, year-round lovely weather and beautiful landscapes that I can't seem to find in Bangor / Belfast!

Cheers
Ha I know wot u mean, I teach down the road from u in Ards...
Old May 20th 2009, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Ha I know wot u mean, I teach down the road from u in Ards...
I'm sorry to hear that

Joke
Old May 20th 2009, 10:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

- it's the apparent chilled out lifestyle, year-round lovely weather and beautiful landscapes that I can't seem to find in Bangor / Belfast!

Cheers
If you believe that then perhaps you ought to try reading a few more books
Old May 20th 2009, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
If you believe that then perhaps you ought to try reading a few more books
Yup, that's why I'm here as well!
Old May 20th 2009, 11:13 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

I'm sorry to hear that

Joke
I feel pity for myself, daily, don't worry LOL
Old May 20th 2009, 11:41 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I feel pity for myself, daily, don't worry LOL
Hard life teaching ey? Something i could never do
Old May 20th 2009, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

katiev is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you like beer,constant sunshine,sports,game shows,malls,bad television,suburban sprawl? if so you will love oz.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:09 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Hard life teaching ey? Something i could never do
You have difficulty learning so teaching will be several bridges too far!
Old May 21st 2009, 12:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiev
Do you like beer,constant sunshine,sports,game shows,malls,bad television,suburban sprawl? if so you will love oz.
Could you please point out the suburban sprawl and malls in the photo below? We don't all live in legoland.

Old May 21st 2009, 12:23 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
You have difficulty learning so teaching will be several bridges too far!
Old May 21st 2009, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiev
Yes, I like beer (well ale actually).

You can choose to live somewhere where there are seasons, you don't have to watch sport/game shows/TV and you don't have to live in an suburban sprawl.... just a thought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.