Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Australia?

Thinking of moving to Australia?

Old Apr 12th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Australia?

Originally Posted by AngryAussie
Please don't. We can't afford housing anymore, and more wealthy brits arriving than we can accommodate isn't going to help. Stay where you are and sort out the problems in your own country rather than running from them.
Hi,
Would just like add,i understand your feeling angry as you feel you've been pushed out,and thats a shame, because us pommie's have come here for a better life,and we dont bum off the goverment.We all do our bit for the country.
We have all come here out of choice and not with a NUMBER ,(like maybe your grandfather or great-grandfather) may of done,remember most aussie's have English blood somewhere down the line,so just because things are tough for you at the moment ,its no good pointing the finger..
Hope things get better for you in the future,remember we have all been through bad times,either here or in the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:24 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Us poor migrant workers on temp visas can claim the LAFHA's through their employers
What is LAFHA?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:29 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

i know i'm gonna get a slap on the wrist for this,

but if you are that pisssed off with the way things are run, why dont you emigrate?

*runs and ducks for cover*

Last edited by Sheff_Sparky; Apr 12th 2008 at 6:39 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:30 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
What is LAFHA?
Living away from home allowance
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kapri
seriously?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:34 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't. We can't afford housing anymore, and more wealthy brits arriving than we can accommodate isn't going to help. Stay where you are and sort out the problems in your own country rather than running from them.
I would just echo what everyone else has said really.
Housing prices have increased massively everywhere in the western world over the past 10 years.
1st time buyers can't get on the ladder here in the U.K either and a lot of our problems are also blamed on immigrants.
FWIW the housing correction has already begun in the northern hemisphere and no doubt Australia will follow suit.
In this instance you have a personal reason to blame your problems on "poms" but as someone already said - it could easily have been an Aussie / kiwi / Korean that bought your brothers house.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:38 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
i know i'm gonna get a slap on the wrist for this,

but if you are that pisssed off with the way things are run, why dont you emigrate?

*runs and ducks for cover*
Why are you quoting me?

Originally Posted by Kapri
Didn't know there was such a thing.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:39 pm

Why are you quoting me?

Didn't know there was such a thing.
sorry, habit.

there you go, all gone.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:42 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
sorry, habit.

there you go, all gone.
You have a habit of quoting me?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Thinking of moving to Australia?

It's all these immigrants! They're ruining the country!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:57 pm

You have a habit of quoting me?
just quoting!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

AngryAussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Don't tar everyone with the same brush based on an emotional situation. If it was an Aussie family moving in & pushing your brother out, would you have blamed all Aussies'?

As a matter of fact my son had a lease for 2 years and due to current interest rate rises the Aussies who own his home have put it on the market. This means in less than 6 months my son has had to pay for two sets of removalists, an extra cost he could not afford. Reality is he either moved out amicably or the rent would go up [they already started that game]. Thankfully, my son realises "shit happens" and instead of blaming all Aussies for his situation he accepts these things happen and has moved on.

Agreed there is an element of this, but also there is an arrogance in the Australian workforce mindset that they don't have to compete and it's more important to work with mates than skills for the job. Even skilled migrants are being pushed to the back of the que for skilled jobs, working in under skilled roles until it's accepted they have been here long enough to be worthy of the roles they have come here to do. I can't count the number of skilled migrants who are working in shitty jobs whilst far less expereienced and far lesser qualified people are in the better jobs. The skilled migrants moan of course especially since the perception is Australia needs to improve it's economic strength, however most accept and get on with it. That's how the cookie crumbles. If you want to live in this fantastic country you put up with the shit, including some covert racists who treat migrants differently in this very subtle way.

Actually if it wasn't for the migrants, including Poms, investing in property in Aus then the economy would be in the shit. The minute you pull out all the extra cash brought in by migrants, employment would be affected as well as serious cash flow within the economy. Having said that, don't be fooled by the old story that migrants are loaded. That's a crock of shit spouted by jealous one dimentional people who have no idea what it has cost a migrant to change their life and move to the other end of the world and start all over again, often in far lesser quality housing and shitty jobs than they had in UK. It is rather arrogant of you to assume people leave UK due to be pushed, rather than being "pulled" to Aus.

And I hope people like you learn to accept Australia needs help to bring it to European standards in order to improve and compete against the likes of China and India.

At the end of the day, mateship is not what counts in business or politics ...but an appreciation of hard work and skills. Australia has not got the skills nor the money to have the choice not to accept migrants.

You should think yourself lucky immigrants want to live here and that they are prepared to invest everything they have got, or ever had, in your beautiful country.
Oh god bless mother England, we couldn't do it without you. Give me a break.

If its such a struggle to move here, why not stay home with your tea and cake?

A recent arrival AND a property investor? Don't get me started.

What queue are you referring to? If your "skilled" mates are here to fill the gap then why are they in a queue? To be frank most poms I've met in industry are all talk and no walk. We colonials obviously can't see you as the gems the immigration department thought you were. Maybe we're blinded by nepotism or maybe there's really no "skills shortage" after all. The truth is that high levels of immigration serves primarily to moderate wage growth via competition, temporarily supplant the need for serious investment in education and training or to increase levels of workforce participation (ie an increase in full-time employment), and create some short-term economic stimuli.

I'm not saying bring immigration to zero, but when the influx has been mach 3 for some years now, there is the question of how much is enough? An exception applies for health care workers, construction workers, tradies, miners

At the end of the day, my message is really to the potential boaties. I acknowledge its probably too late to send most of you back, after all, you're just here to help us "build the nation". ahem.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:52 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

What queue are you referring to? If your "skilled" mates are here to fill the gap then why are they in a queue? To be frank most poms I've met in industry are all talk and no walk. We colonials obviously can't see you as the gems the immigration department thought you were. Maybe we're blinded by nepotism or maybe there's really no "skills shortage" after all. The truth is that high levels of immigration serves primarily to moderate wage growth via competition, temporarily supplant the need for serious investment in education and training or to increase levels of workforce participation (ie an increase in full-time employment), and create some short-term economic stimuli.

I'm not saying bring immigration to zero, but when the influx has been mach 3 for some years now, there is the question of how much is enough? An exception applies for health care workers, construction workers, tradies, miners

At the end of the day, my message is really to the potential boaties. I acknowledge its probably too late to send most of you back, after all, you're just here to help us "build the nation". ahem.
This is a great example of why Aus needs intelligent and skilled migrants

Thanks God most of the Aussies I've met are not bigoted or racist
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:54 pm
'In limboland'

What an extremely narrow minded view you have. You are a rude bigot. So go on then, being as you started this thread, would you care to 'get started' on this....?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

But surely that's what we all are - we all have some skill that we're bringing. You can't apply for a visa without having a skill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.