Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things you notice taste different in Aus/UK

Things you notice taste different in Aus/UK

Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Things you notice taste different in Aus/UK

Originally Posted by Grayling
Most of the bacon sold in Australia is Danish.....it is imported
As is most of the bacon in the UK.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
As is most of the bacon in the UK.
Yes....but I was replying to your post about being able to find bacon tasting like Danish in Australia......That is because it is Danish.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Yes....but I was replying to your post about being able to find bacon tasting like Danish in Australia......That is because it is Danish.
So why is it generally so different?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
So why is it generally so different?
Don't have a clue.....perhaps it is processed differently
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Oh well. It could be worse. It could be that cheap streaky crap you get in Spain.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

I have never found the bacon that different and we only usually buy it from supermarkets.?....never ever eaten a lot of it though.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:44 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why Australia would import bacon when there are plenty of pigs already here.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by brissybee
I don't understand why Australia would import bacon when there are plenty of pigs already here.
Is that a joke

They import about 75% of bacon sold here from Denmark.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

better - mangoes, watermelon and fresh tropical fruits. Steak. Sydney tap water- much better than recycled homecounties stuff which was full of limescale, though the slightly brown colour took a bit of getting used to.

worse- cadbury's chocolate, though I am acclimatising after 4 years. Gravy. Red leicester cheese,pate,

missing- bread sauce, proper gammon, fresh gooseberries, cooking apples, (though I have found a source of gammon and neighbour once got apples from Tassie recently, but very expensive).

different but just as nice- jindi/tassie brie, decent wine (when compared to old world wines)

This is in my own opinion of course and doesn't reflect what others may think.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:07 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
better - mangoes, watermelon and fresh tropical fruits. Steak. Sydney tap water- much better than recycled homecounties stuff which was full of limescale, though the slightly brown colour took a bit of getting used to.

worse- cadbury's chocolate, though I am acclimatising after 4 years. Gravy. Red leicester cheese,pate,

missing- bread sauce, proper gammon, fresh gooseberries, cooking apples, (though I have found a source of gammon and neighbour once got apples from Tassie recently, but very expensive).

different but just as nice- jindi/tassie brie, decent wine (when compared to old world wines)

This is in my own opinion of course and doesn't reflect what others may think.
Gooseberries are the devils food. Praise Australia for its lack of horrible hairy slimy disgusting dry-retching gooseberries. (Envision Willy Wonka type flashback to school-girl being forced to eat every last gooseberry by bully bitch head-mistress in an empty dining hall after everyone else has gone.)

However, I'd be mighty pleased if you would share with me details of the UK equivalent of the quite fab Jindi triple cream brie.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Gooseberries are the devils food. Praise Australia for its lack of horrible hairy slimy disgusting dry-retching gooseberries. (Envision Willy Wonka type flashback to school-girl being forced to eat every last gooseberry by bully bitch head-mistress in an empty dining hall after everyone else has gone.)
Sorry but gooseberries are grown in a number of australian states......but much less than they used to be......not a great demand.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:18 pm
Not actually a squirrel

Sorry but gooseberries are grown in a number of australian states......but much less than they used to be......not a great demand.
This is very bad news. But I hope there are some growing at the Lodge.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 3:16 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

64% of processed pork is imported. Fresh stuff won't be anywhere near that level. In fact I'm editing this to say that all fresh pork is Australian by law, or was as of 2008. Perhaps there have been changes to this then? If your bacon us fresh then it's Australian, notwithstanding any changes since 2008 of course!

Last edited by Zen10; Dec 12th 2012 at 3:19 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Zen10
64% of processed pork is imported. Fresh stuff won't be anywhere near that level. In fact I'm editing this to say that all fresh pork is Australian by law, or was as of 2008. Perhaps there have been changes to this then? If your bacon us fresh then it's Australian, notwithstanding any changes since 2008 of course!
Not according to the ABC it isn't

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/con...1/s3122699.htm

Three quarters of the bacon sold in Australia is imported from Denmark
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

However, I'd be mighty pleased if you would share with me details of the UK equivalent of the quite fab Jindi triple cream brie.
I went to the cheese shop in Devizes and they had a locally produced one. Yum!

I like gooseberry crumble and gooseberry jam. I also like sprouts, so that probably says a lot about me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.