Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Teenage daughter - any advice?

Wikiposts

Teenage daughter - any advice?

Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenage daughter - any advice?

Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:11 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

...Couldn't resist it
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Hey, how did you find the picture of my priest?

Mrs JTL
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:22 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by West Vic
I think you are being selfish, but you're not alone. This forum is full of adults dragging their children to the other side of the world just so they can fulfill their dreams. And I know i'm in the minority here when I say I would never disregard my childrens feelings like this.
You're so totally wrong.

My girls' happiness means the world to me & I would say that most people here would wish nothing but the best for their kids too.

But just as in the real, grown up world, kids need to learn that life is not going to faff about pandering to their feelings & worrying about whether they are happy or not...a lot of it will be bloody hard work & some of it will be challenging, frightening & even painful at times.

So when parents take this very difficult decision to relocate when their kids aren't 100% certain, what they're actually doing is setting an example, showing some courage & leadership to their kids & teaching them how to face life's challenges, instead of being afraid & giving in to difficult situations.

I have listened very carefully to my girls; spent hour upon hour of listening to their concerns & their worries & made plans accordingly. I haven't disregarded their feelings at all, we've changed our plans to accommodate the concerns the girls raised. I know my girls; I know they'll be fine; once we're there they will see, like countless other kids, that the things they worried about didn't have the impact that they thought.

Of course...we could just be scared of our kids....scared of taking decisions....scared of being a parent & make excuses for our own lack of vision by dressing it up as something else.

Yep, we could do that, but what life would we have & what would it teach our kids? To be afraid when things are difficult? That you can avoid situations & get your own way by acting out & behaving badly? That you can manipulate the very people that you are supposed to love, respect & have trust in?

Sorry, but in my book, parents that can see the big picture & inspire their kids by giving them the confidence to face life's challenges, even if that means giving them a little shove at times, deserve a lot more credit than you seem to be giving them.

JG
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:25 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Sorry mate, you seem to think you're having a debate with a bible basher.

Afraid not. I've read everything from the Bible to Richard Dawkins 'God is not Great'. I have issues with all of them.

I'd say that morals, whether christian/muslim/bhuddist based are a good place to start. The actual Jesus story is all bollocks. But the lessons and parables aren't.

Its a shame millions of people have died disagreeing over that.

JTL

I agree with all this. We have always chosen schools with a Christian ethos because, although we don't go to church and don't necessarily believe in a god, we do like the moral codes they live by and want our girls to be guided by them too.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:26 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenniGee
You're so totally wrong.

My girls' happiness means the world to me & I would say that most people here would wish nothing but the best for their kids too.

But just as in the real, grown up world, kids need to learn that life is not going to faff about pandering to their feelings & worrying about whether they are happy or not...a lot of it will be bloody hard work & some of it will be challenging, frightening & even painful at times.

So when parents take this very difficult decision to relocate when their kids aren't 100% certain, what they're actually doing is setting an example, showing some courage & leadership to their kids & teaching them how to face life's challenges, instead of being afraid & giving in to difficult situations.

I have listened very carefully to my girls; spent hour upon hour of listening to their concerns & their worries & made plans accordingly. I haven't disregarded their feelings at all, we've changed our plans to accommodate the concerns the girls raised. I know my girls; I know they'll be fine; once we're there they will see, like countless other kids, that the things they worried about didn't have the impact that they thought.

Of course...we could just be scared of our kids....scared of taking decisions....scared of being a parent & make excuses for our own lack of vision by dressing it up as something else.

Yep, we could do that, but what life would we have & what would it teach our kids? To be afraid when things are difficult? That you can avoid situations & get your own way by acting out & behaving badly? That you can manipulate the very people that you are supposed to love, respect & have trust in?

Sorry, but in my book, parents that can see the big picture & inspire their kids by giving them the confidence to face life's challenges, even if that means giving them a little shove at times, deserve a lot more credit than you seem to be giving them.

JG
Well said!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

But just as in the real, grown up world, kids need to learn that life is not going to faff about pandering to their feelings & worrying about whether they are happy or not...a lot of it will be bloody hard work & some of it will be challenging, frightening & even painful at times
Dealing with a life threatening illness is a challenge. Being rejected from a university course you so desperately wanted is a challenge. Losing a loved one is a challenge. Battling depression is a challenge. Losing your job and having to support your family is a challenge. Choosing to uproot your family for no good reason is a choice you foist upon them, a challenge for them no doubt, but no more than a wish fulfilled for you.

Well, if you count your childs very reasonable fear about moving to the other side of the world to follow the parents they are so dependent upon a manipulation, then it seems to me you are dressing up their opinions as nothing more than teenage rebellion and sulky tears. Again I repeat that an adult of 18 would never, ever be forced into this situation like a teenager would be. And that is desperately unfair.