Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Teenage daughter - any advice?

Wikiposts

Teenage daughter - any advice?

Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:05 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teenage daughter - any advice?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
The stories aren't extreme at all. If the incidents didn't happen to the girls at my school, they would have happened to other teenagers at a different school or in a different city, and I would have read the stories anyway.

If you really really want to know, here's how I spent my boring teenage years.

I studied, trained twice a week in squash and tennis, went to Christian fellowship every Friday night, attended church every Sunday morning, member of Duke of Edinburgh Awards program, member of Model Parliament at high school (Canadian political role play for students), member of Model United Nations at university, Junior Achievement member (business entrepreneur club for students), helped younger students at my high school with homework, taught maths and sciences to disadvanted kids in West Philadelphia, had classical singing lessons once a week with a mezzo-soprano.

I went to some discos and clubs in Toronto with friends a handful of times. Didn't like the noise and if I had stayed longer than 1/2 hour, I was certain I would have lost my hearing completely.

I don't smoke, don't do drugs, was never, am never, and will never be interested. Didn't like staying out because of other acitivities which I enjoy doing and need time and energy for them.

The only thing that might have been illegal was that I had beer with cream soda and ice-cream during dinner with my family, and I was definitely underage then.

Oh yes, something exciting I did during my sophomore year (2nd year at uni) - many a weekend night, staying up looking after stupid drunk freshmen (1st year students) who lived in my dormitory. Making sure their parents weren't losing their precious children who were having a fantastic time.

Please don't feel sorry for me, not even a bit. You don't know what a great life I've had so far and how grateful I am for everything I've got. That's all I want for my kids as well.

Mrs JTL
It's lovely that you seem to have had a pain-free, saintly adolesence but you do seem to have emerged from it a rather intolerant & judgemental adult
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PamE
It's lovely that you seem to have had a pain-free, saintly adolesence but you do seem to have emerged from it a rather intolerant & judgemental adult

You do realise the irony of posting a judgemental and intolerant post to tell Mrs JTL shes judgemental and intolerant

How she was brought up was how she was brought up. You don't like it, tough! Thats how we want our kids brought up too!

She didn't do the nightclubbing, drugs, snogging guys in public thing. Sorry if that offends your sensibility, feel free to judge us

JTL
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:25 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
But the point I'm trying to make is that your teenage years is the time to make whatever mistakes you might make, when else in your life are you not going to have any responsibility?
Yes, teenagers can and will make lots of mistakes. Although I have to disagree a bit with the no responsibility. I don't want my kids growing up without learning a great deal about responsibility before they leave home.

Ideally my kids will learn some responsibility from helping out around the house, holding down a part time job, getting good grades in school and managing their own money wisely (in theory).

I like to think that I was a pretty good teenager. Yes, I did make a few mistakes but I certainly learned from them. I'm sure my kids will do the same too. They will also learn responsibility along the way before they get sent out into the real world.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well no one I knew ever died of alcohol poisoning. So to me and the social circle I was in, it is quite extreme. I don't know about where you grew up but I still imagine that deaths from alcohol posoining and girls taking their own lives aren't "common".
I didn't know the two girls personally. They were both a year above me at the time. I knew who they were and who their friends were. They weren't part of my social circle. And by the way, the girl didn't die from alcohol poisoning, she threw up and choked herself to death. It's very different. These aren't common incidents, thank goodness for that. However on the newspapers, there are stories like these every single day, not necessarily in your own town, or country. I grew up in Hong Kong, Toronto, and Philadelphia, but I don't think that's relevant. The two girls I mentioned were from Toronto.

But the point I'm trying to make is that your teenage years is the time to make whatever mistakes you might make, when else in your life are you not going to have any responsibility?
I have made mistakes, probably too many, but they were more like "I had a stupid fight or argument with so and so", "I didn't prepare well for my exams/squash matches", "I skipped so many Japanese classes that I nearly had to redo a semester to make up for the hours", "I let my grades slip after I got university admission", etc.

What other mistakes do you think I perhaps should have made in my teenage years to enrich my life experience? I can't think of any.

Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Sep 30th 2009 at 4:09 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:38 pm

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

You do realise the irony of posting a judgemental and intolerant post to tell Mrs JTL shes judgemental and intolerant

How she was brought up was how she was brought up. You don't like it, tough! Thats how we want our kids brought up too!

She didn't do the nightclubbing, drugs, snogging guys in public thing. Sorry if that offends your sensibility, feel free to judge us

JTL
It was just an observation, not a judgement, and was worded as such. I'm not an intolerant person and I recognise people who hold views like your wife do exist and are of course entitled to their opinions. It is admirable that your wife clearly had a stable and positive upbringing - I didn't say I didn't like it and I made no comment about the anti-drug stance (or 'snogging guys in public' - eh?!) etc so I don't understand why you are rolling your eyes & talking about 'offending my sensibilities'

It's wasn't so much the content of your wife's post that I thought seemed a tad judgemental and intolerant but rather the tone, which comes across as rather holier-than-thou tbh.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was having a healthy debate about teenagers with other posters. If you want to join in the discussion, please do, but is it possible to leave out the personal insults?

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:44 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It was just an observation, not a judgement, and was worded as such. I'm not an intolerant person and I recognise people who hold views like your wife do exist and are of course entitled to their opinions. It is admirable that your wife clearly had a stable and positive upbringing - I didn't say I didn't like it and I made no comment about the anti-drug stance (or 'snogging guys in public' - eh?!)

No, you didn't comment then but you certainly are now!

etc so I don't understand why you are rolling your eyes & talking about 'offending my sensibilities'

It's wasn't so much the content of your wife's post that I thought seemed a tad judgemental and intolerant but rather the tone, which comes across as rather holier-than-thou tbh.
That's funny.....I thought your tone was rather holier-than-thou by passing judgment on someone who to me seems proud of the things they've done. Just an obeservation, not a judgement!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:47 pm

Ouch! I bow out...have a nice day
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I made heaps and heaps of mistakes during my adolecent years (and a bit beyond). Somehow I survived and have made it my mission to ensure that my kids don't have to repeat the errors in order to learn from them. If I succeed then they'll get a 20 year head start in life. So far so good
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Yes, teenagers can and will make lots of mistakes. Although I have to disagree a bit with the no responsibility. I don't want my kids growing up without learning a great deal about responsibility before they leave home.
I don't think I worded it correctly, I agree with you about the responsibility thing, I think what I was referring to was having a real job, mortgage, children of your own to look after. Hopefully none of that applies when you're 15! But quite right about learning the fundamentals early, I hope my children will as well

And by the way, the girl didn't die from alcohol poisoning, she threw up and choked herself to death. It's very different
Sorry I was skim reading

I have made mistakes, probably too many, but they were more like "I had a stupid fight or argument with so and so", "I didn't prepare well for my exams/squash matches", "I skipped so many Japanese classes that I nearly had to redo a semester to make up for the hours", "I let my grades slip after I got university admission", etc.

What other mistakes do you think I perhaps should have made in my teenage years to enrich my life experience? I can't think of any.

Mrs JTL
I don't think you should've made any other mistakes but by going by your previous post it sounded like you were far too busy going to Sunday school and watching the naughty kids to have any experiences of your own. As I've said before every teenager needs to have made some mistakes in order to learn. I never said it has to be underage sex, taking drugs or doing anything illegal. I'm sure after you nearly had to redo a semester you learnt not to skip Japanese lessons... That is the point I'm making. Life is for living and learning and if no one made any mistakes, how would people learn?

Originally Posted by paulry
I made heaps and heaps of mistakes during my adolecent years (and a bit beyond). Somehow I survived and have made it my mission to ensure that my kids don't have to repeat the errors in order to learn from them. If I succeed then they'll get a 20 year head start in life. So far so good
That's lovely Paulry but make sure they do get to make some mistakes themselves. I'd hate to be too protected from the real world.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Louiseh86, often people need to bump their heads in order to learn. I'm not in favour of wrapping them in cotton wool - just inform them, teach them to think things through and to consider the consequences of their own (and others) actions, how to avoid/manage/cope with lifes hazards, consider others. And do the right thing.

Life's lessons are endless
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:30 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive made shit loads of mistakes, some I have learned from and some I havent.

The mistakes I do not regret making are the ones I have learned from, can recall and think 'Thank God I have changed'.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Life's lessons are endless
How true!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think you should've made any other mistakes but by going by your previous post it sounded like you were far too busy going to Sunday school and watching the naughty kids to have any experiences of your own.
School, sports, church, music and travelling were huge parts of my growing up. They are as great experiences as going out with friends, listening to music, playing Dungeon and Dragons, or hanging out in shopping centres. We like different things.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's lovely Paulry but make sure they do get to make some mistakes themselves. I'd hate to be too protected from the real world.
I don't think anyone is talking about wrapping them in cotton wool. I quite happily watch them fall over and hurt themselves.

On the other hand, they've no need to be in a car wreck, like I was at 17. Boys especially are notorious for not having the risk/reward balance in their brains correct until they are 25.

I thought it'd be funny to scare my girlfriend at the time going over a humped back bridge at 80mph. Then the telegragh pole got in the way.

Now, thats an extreme example, as you would say, but it happened to me. No need to say, I don't think my kids need to go through that experience.

So yes, they can make 'mistakes' if they learn from them. But things like getting pissed, taking drugs, unprotected sex, getting in cars with drunken teenage boys, leaving themselves vunerable to abuse etc etc.

They are not necessary risks. Its more important to teach them the value of life and how to enjoy it responsibly.

JTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.