Tax Question - Gift

Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tax Question - Gift

Hello,

Boring I know but I was wondering if anyone could advise on this tax question, my parents gave us $10k back in December 2012 and now it's tax time I am wondering if we will have to pay tax on this gift...... the money went straight into our normal current account.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Question - Gift

Originally Posted by macy
Hello,

Boring I know but I was wondering if anyone could advise on this tax question, my parents gave us $10k back in December 2012 and now it's tax time I am wondering if we will have to pay tax on this gift...... the money went straight into our normal current account.
Don't think so. If they gift you cash on a regular basis that you use to live on then yes but a one off cash gift my understanding is no tax payable. You ought to call the ATO and conform that though.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

It's not earned income and they probably paid their tax on it anyway. SWMBO got 60k in her auntie's will and that wasn't taxable. None of their business.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:08 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
Hello,

Tax to be paid only on the interest on your account (if interest is paid on the account) - as per normal (the rest is, like Mike said, none of their business).

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 15th 2013 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:56 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah its like winning lotto. Non taxable.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Yippee! About to get a chunk from the UK from the sale of Dad's house.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

With the current low interest rates even for Centrelink "deeming" purposes you'd need hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn enough interest to take your income out of the "free" zone.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
With the current low interest rates even for Centrelink "deeming" purposes you'd need hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn enough interest to take your income out of the "free" zone.

I must admit we spent it so fast there was no chance of interest being earned! Thanks for all the replies, I thought it was the case but thought I had better confirm.