Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sydney with kids - fly or drive?

Sydney with kids - fly or drive?

Old Nov 3rd 2021, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney with kids - fly or drive?

Hey there. Hope everyone is well. As usual when I want advice I gravitate back to the BEs!

Me, two boys aged 10 and 6. What shall we do? Will I need a car? Pretty typical boys - love a bit of sport, maybe the zoo, Luna Park, a bit of science/museum, etc. Shame the youngest is too young for the bridge climb.

I can drive to Sydney - 5.5h or so. Or I can fly, which might be a nice adventure for the boys. I accept there will be transfers etc, but obviously we'll get there so much quicker. I'm doing the usual googling but can't decide if I'll need a car while we're there. Would like to go self-catering if possible. Happy to stay outside Sydney if I can drive and park at attractions, or get a train, etc. etc.

Any and all advice, top tips, etc. gratefully received as always. Cheers

PS; anyone who maybe remembers my sob story from a couple of years ago (marriage break up, depression, drinking too much, etc.), life is great now Strong, healthy, alcohol-free, back in work, and happier than I've ever been but that's an update for another day.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 7:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney with kids - fly or drive?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Hey there. Hope everyone is well. As usual when I want advice I gravitate back to the BEs!

Me, two boys aged 10 and 6. What shall we do? Will I need a car? Pretty typical boys - love a bit of sport, maybe the zoo, Luna Park, a bit of science/museum, etc. Shame the youngest is too young for the bridge climb.

I can drive to Sydney - 5.5h or so. Or I can fly, which might be a nice adventure for the boys. I accept there will be transfers etc, but obviously we'll get there so much quicker. I'm doing the usual googling but can't decide if I'll need a car while we're there. Would like to go self-catering if possible. Happy to stay outside Sydney if I can drive and park at attractions, or get a train, etc. etc.

PS; anyone who maybe remembers my sob story from a couple of years ago (marriage break up, depression, drinking too much, etc.), life is great now Strong, healthy, alcohol-free, back in work, and happier than I've ever been but that's an update for another day.
Can't help with Sydney sorry, but I'm so happy that things have worked out for you
Old Nov 4th 2021, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Had quite a few Sydney breaks over the years and rarely, if ever, drove up (only 3 hours) and never had a problem getting around to the places we needed to go. We tended to stay somewhere central and the trains, ferries and shanks' pony were just fine for a few days break. I hate driving in Sydney and finding a car park is just too much bother and I only ever drove, I think when I was needing to go to Ikea or take a kid to a swimming carnival. When my kids were small we did the zoo, Manly on the ferry, the museum, Sydney Tower, Darling Harbour, Harbour tour and down to Parmatta on the boat etc and that took a few days then we were glad to be on the way home again.

Well done on your transformation - good to hear things have worked out!!!
Old Nov 5th 2021, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you driving from? Parking in the city is not really an option long term. An hour or so is OK. A car can be handy but not essential for the sights you want to see.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all

I'm driving from Albury. About 5.5 hours, plus stops. I keep changing my mind. Flying will be great, part of the adventure, but will cost me $1000. A couple of tanks of petrol is $110. I could get a much nicer hotel and fo more things with the spare change... maybe make a little road trip out of it and have a day or two elsewhere...

First world problems!
Old Nov 7th 2021, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all

I'm driving from Albury. About 5.5 hours, plus stops. I keep changing my mind. Flying will be great, part of the adventure, but will cost me $1000. A couple of tanks of petrol is $110. I could get a much nicer hotel and fo more things with the spare change... maybe make a little road trip out of it and have a day or two elsewhere...

First world problems!
Catch the bus or the train - much better for the blood pressure! I tend to take Greyhound from Canberra and it's a doddle. I wish we had a half decent train service because that would be my preference. If you stay centrally you'll probably have to pay for the days parking even if you dont use the car.
Old Nov 7th 2021, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all

First world problems!
A night in the mountains along the way. Always great fun in summer. Thredbo has some great biking. Kids would love it.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you're doing so well, looking forward to reading your update when you are ready to write it

Did you decide what to do on your Sydney trip, the kids must be so excited to be going.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

The boys can't wait

I decided to splash out a bit and fly, and stay in the Rydges hotel near central station. Both have flown before but one was a baby and the other was only 4 so don't have clear memories of the experience.

Now lining up all the usual activities - Taronga Zoo, Luna Park, jet boat ride, Bondi Beach (yeah yeah .. I know .. but the boys really want to meet the life guards!), ferry to Manly, a couple of nudie bars in Kings Cross, that kind of thing
Old Nov 11th 2021, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The boys can't wait

I decided to splash out a bit and fly, and stay in the Rydges hotel near central station. Both have flown before but one was a baby and the other was only 4 so don't have clear memories of the experience.

Now lining up all the usual activities - Taronga Zoo, Luna Park, jet boat ride, Bondi Beach (yeah yeah .. I know .. but the boys really want to meet the life guards!), ferry to Manly, a couple of nudie bars in Kings Cross, that kind of thing
Maybe I should take my kids to a few of these places 😀.

To add to your list for kids:

Darling Harbour. There is a massive playground and water play there plus they can do the aquarium.

Weirdly my kids like the Australian museum. There is also the Powerhouse museum.

Fox Studios. Always something on there for kids. Across the road is Centennial Park and I think they built a big play area.

Perhaps hire some bikes to get around. I think there is those street bikes around.

Watson's Bay always a good ferry ride, fish and chips, and good beach play. No surf so if not surf confident a good beach option. All harbour beaches are pretty good, better the further east you go.

Get a car, Blue Mountains (or train), Wet and Wild, but if it's a short trip you will have enough to do near the city.

I could ramble on but you have plenty there.

Old Nov 11th 2021, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

The boys can't wait

Great choice of hotel, I think you're going to like staying there - its in a good location too. I think we ALL want to meet the life guards at Bondi such an awesome bunch. So much to do in Sydney, you're all going to have a great time!
Old Nov 17th 2021, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

That is a good hotel with kids, we are in Sydney but when the kids were younger used to have a "staycation" in the city occasionally. Get the B Line bus from Wynyard to Palm Beach, takes a while but some nice views on the way up and lovely beach at the end (or if you don't want to go all the way up Dee Why is a lovely beach and very kid friendly).