Swimming pools

Old Mar 3rd 2016, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming pools

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
It won't die, that's the problem.
Originally Posted by paulry
Have you tried anything to "help it along"?
Tebuthiuron worked well on the Toomer's Oaks
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:08 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Been treating the pool for more than a week and it's hardly at all changed from the milky green blue colour that it was when we moved in.

...Bloody pools!
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:14 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Been treating the pool for more than a week and it's hardly at all changed from the milky green blue colour that it was when we moved in.

...Bloody pools!
What products are you using? How long do you have the pool filter on for? If you PM ROMFT, he can give you some advice.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

...Bloody pools!
Head over to TroubleFreePool

They have some awesome experts there who can get you fixed up.

Not sure what chemicals you are using but all you need is regular household bleach (chlorine) and lots of it anything else is a temporary fix and/or just masks the underlying problems.

Get yourself a reliable test kit and DON'T under any circumstances rely on your local pool store for advise (or testing). They exist only to sell you a bunch of crap you don't need.

Chlorine and TLC should be all you need.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 6:25 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
What products are you using? How long do you have the pool filter on for? If you PM ROMFT, he can give you some advice.
Thanks, I'm pretty much using only chlorine. The Google people reckon it's the pool filter sand that needs replacing so I've currently got my Youtube buddies working on that

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Head over to TroubleFreePool

They have some awesome experts there who can get you fixed up.

Not sure what chemicals you are using but all you need is regular household bleach (chlorine) and lots of it anything else is a temporary fix and/or just masks the underlying problems.

Get yourself a reliable test kit and DON'T under any circumstances rely on your local pool store for advise (or testing). They exist only to sell you a bunch of crap you don't need.

Chlorine and TLC should be all you need.
Thanks that's a great site

I realised that the local pool shop is generally not the place to go at the same time as I discovered they charge pretty much twice the prices for things that can be found elsewhere. But I might need them to come and show me what all the pipes and vales are for in the pump cupboard. What with the spa pipework, it's like a box of spaghetti in there

...Next homeowners challenge: Possums. There's a bloody colony of the things in my roof
Old Mar 17th 2016, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

After 12 years of experience I've finally settled on a regimen that works.

Long and slow filtration, is key, with a cheap low power pump to keep costs down. Mine uses 100w rather than 700w full bore, set to 8 hrs over night. I reduce it to 6 hrs either side of summer then to 4..

Before I got one of these I was not filtering enough. Turn the water over once a day nice and slow. I stopped using a pool cleaner 3 years ago, just allowing the filter to do its work. Once a month I vacuum to waste after leaving it to settle. Don't obsess too much with tests, get the buffer right at season open, it might need a bit of adjustment over the season then regular chlorine and a bit of algaecide when you remember..I've occasionally let the pH go out of whack but with filtration it seems to keep pool clear..

Buy chemicals from Woolies...
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
After 12 years of experience I've finally settled on a regimen that works.

Long and slow filtration, is key, with a cheap low power pump to keep costs down. Mine uses 100w rather than 700w full bore, set to 8 hrs over night. I reduce it to 6 hrs either side of summer then to 4..

Before I got one of these I was not filtering enough. Turn the water over once a day nice and slow. I stopped using a pool cleaner 3 years ago, just allowing the filter to do its work. Once a month I vacuum to waste after leaving it to settle. Don't obsess too much with tests, get the buffer right at season open, it might need a bit of adjustment over the season then regular chlorine and a bit of algaecide when you remember..I've occasionally let the pH go out of whack but with filtration it seems to keep pool clear..

Buy chemicals from Woolies...
Blimey must be nice not to have trees and leaves Our filters would be ****ed within a year if we didn't have a pool cleaner. As it is we've finally bitten the bullet and replaced our 10 year old filters.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 8:27 am
Banned

Well, thanks to troublefreepools and a bit of perseverance I now have a shimmering pool. Well, almost - I can see the bottom now and it has a decidedly light blue colour. A few weeks more and I reckon it'll be perfect! Just in time for winter!