Swimming pools

Old Feb 26th 2016, 9:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swimming pools

Well, after 5 long years of renting, my family and I have at last become proud new owners of a home - complete with a swimming pool. The previous owners used pool services to maintain the pool so I currently have next to no gear to keep it clean. First thoughts are to get a pool vacuum such as a Kreepy Krauly or a Barracuda. Any recommendations for the best pool vac ...and any other recommended equipment? Thanks.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 9:26 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming pools

Originally Posted by paulry
Well, after 5 long years of renting, my family and I have at last become proud new owners of a home - complete with a swimming pool. The previous owners used pool services to maintain the pool so I currently have next to no gear to keep it clean. First thoughts are to get a pool vacuum such as a Kreepy Krauly or a Barracuda. Any recommendations for the best pool vac ...and any other recommended equipment? Thanks.

Congratulations!! Hope the pool is heated, especially in Canberra!! Love our pool, but it's not heated.

Pool blanket. Helps to keep the heat in, warm up the pool and keeps all the crap out. We need to get one

We use a 3in1 stuff you can get from Bunnings but top up with chlorine too. We have a used barracuda. Not used it much cos been waiting for ROMFT to sort the fittings out, but hopefully it will get more use now he's done that.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:28 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Congratulations!! Hope the pool is heated, especially in Canberra!! Love our pool, but it's not heated.

Pool blanket. Helps to keep the heat in, warm up the pool and keeps all the crap out. We need to get one

We use a 3in1 stuff you can get from Bunnings but top up with chlorine too. We have a used barracuda. Not used it much cos been waiting for ROMFT to sort the fittings out, but hopefully it will get more use now he's done that.
No, it isn't heated but maybe we'll get solar heating for it later. It does have a pool blanket. One of our biggest problems is a nearby Mimosa tree. A beautiful tree that provides shade but it's extremely messy and for a long period. We'll probably have to give it the chop.

Looking at which brand of pool vac it looks like it's a close tie between Kreepy Krauly and Barracuda - with Kreepy Krauly coming out more expensive.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

If you can afford it go for a trident. They are amazing and need no plumbing in. They will go up walls and you can even steer them by remote control to get to spots that might have been missed. (fun for the boys) They have different programme settings depending on how long you want the pool to be cleaned for.

I hear you with the tree problem. My pool is surrounded by a variety of trees that are huge and cannot be cut down. I remove over a bucketful of leaves each day.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 1:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If you can afford it go for a trident. They are amazing and need no plumbing in. They will go up walls and you can even steer them by remote control to get to spots that might have been missed. (fun for the boys) They have different programme settings depending on how long you want the pool to be cleaned for.

I hear you with the tree problem. My pool is surrounded by a variety of trees that are huge and cannot be cut down. I remove over a bucketful of leaves each day.
Ouch! Two thousand dollars! There's no ways we could afford one of those but it does look like fun. We've decided to go for the baracuda. Looks like lots of work to learn the ins and outs of pool care. Thought I'd start with the vacuum cleaner and take it from there. Looks like I also need to get a vacuum plate. The setup as currently it is sucks straight into the "naked" basket. Apparently there's about 30 different sizes so it looks like that'll be challenge in itself to find the right one.

The mimosa tree in our garden looks diseased so it might not live for much longer....
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:52 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Looking after pools is like looking after kids. Keep your eye on them for 10 minutes each day and spend a bit more time with them on the weekends and all will be well. Ignore them for more than a week and things start getting messy.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 11:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch! Two thousand dollars! There's no ways we could afford one of those but it does look like fun. We've decided to go for the baracuda. Looks like lots of work to learn the ins and outs of pool care. Thought I'd start with the vacuum cleaner and take it from there. Looks like I also need to get a vacuum plate. The setup as currently it is sucks straight into the "naked" basket. Apparently there's about 30 different sizes so it looks like that'll be challenge in itself to find the right one.

The mimosa tree in our garden looks diseased so it might not live for much longer....
Robotic cleaners are great but cost far too much - especially when you see them online n the US for half the price

I've currently got an Onga Hammerhead which I got off EBay for about $200. It has 8 parts which are easy and cheap to replace. It works well

Avoid Kreepy Krauly - unreliable, expensive to buy and replacement parts cost too much

It seems that with pool cleaners there are many identical products with different badges but with massive price differences. Local pool shops can be expensive. Bunnings, BigW and Mitre 10 are good alternatives for chemicals and gear
Old Feb 29th 2016, 11:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Looking after pools is like looking after kids. Keep your eye on them for 10 minutes each day and spend a bit more time with them on the weekends and all will be well. Ignore them for more than a week and things start getting messy.
Good advice

An hour a week is about right to keep a pool in tip top condition
Old Mar 1st 2016, 12:31 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Swimming pools

I remove over a bucketful of leaves each day.
What's the point in having a swimming pool if your not going to get a pool boy?
Old Mar 1st 2016, 3:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Swimming pools

Well, after 5 long years of renting, my family and I have at last become proud new owners of a home - complete with a swimming pool.
Do you need me to pop round and test it?

BB
Old Mar 1st 2016, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What's the point in having a swimming pool if your not going to get a pool boy?
Having spent a fortune replacing all the worn out bits over the 7 years we have been here, we can't afford one!

In the trident's defence, it would have cost more to have the polaris replaced and the burst pipe fixed, so we did actually go for the cheaper option! (Bloody gum tree also has done for our water main twice in the last 5 years too. It is full of carpenter ants and has lots of dead branches, but council won't let us remove it.)
Old Mar 1st 2016, 6:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Robotic cleaners are great but cost far too much - especially when you see them online n the US for half the price

I've currently got an Onga Hammerhead which I got off EBay for about $200. It has 8 parts which are easy and cheap to replace. It works well

Avoid Kreepy Krauly - unreliable, expensive to buy and replacement parts cost too much

It seems that with pool cleaners there are many identical products with different badges but with massive price differences. Local pool shops can be expensive. Bunnings, BigW and Mitre 10 are good alternatives for chemicals and gear
Good tips, thanks. I ended up getting a Baracuda Manta at Masters for $339. Works pretty well. It's dragged lots of basket-loads of rubbish from the murky depths so far. Going to get the water tested today so that it can receive its optimum chlorine dose. With a bit of luck we'll be able to swim in it on the weekend.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Do you need me to pop round and test it?
BB
It's not looking very inviting right now - though it's probably safer than swimming in the Murrumbidgee.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 6:08 pm
Banned

Having spent a fortune replacing all the worn out bits over the 7 years we have been here, we can't afford one!

In the trident's defence, it would have cost more to have the polaris replaced and the burst pipe fixed, so we did actually go for the cheaper option! (Bloody gum tree also has done for our water main twice in the last 5 years too. It is full of carpenter ants and has lots of dead branches, but council won't let us remove it.)
But if the tree dies, are you able to remove it then?
Old Mar 1st 2016, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But if the tree dies, are you able to remove it then?
It won't die, that's the problem.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 5:59 pm
Banned

It won't die, that's the problem.
Have you tried anything to "help it along"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.