Swimming pools

Old May 22nd 2010, 11:31 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming pools

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Thanks for all the replies.

Are there pool shops in most places/suburbs?
Yes. Well, at least around me there are. (Perth's northern suburbs)
Old May 23rd 2010, 4:15 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the "too much work" or "too expensiveto run" comments, must be from people who don't have one are are jealous

Only real cost is power to run the pumps and heater if you have one.

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Is it a lot of hassle? I don't know, never having had one before.
Would the hassle be worth it for a nice cooling dip and for the kids to have fun?
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

The reason I said that they were too much hassle is that my aunt had one when she lived in Sydney's Western Suburbs (where it's really HOT in the summer). Even though her 3 kids were young at the time, she said it was still a huge hassle and she'd never buy a house with a pool again. Never having had a pool I have no idea if it really is a hassle but there are so many pools, beaches and ocean baths in Australia that I never saw going for a swim on a hot day as being a difficult thing to do (at least in Sydney).
Old May 24th 2010, 11:07 pm
ABCDiamond

We got our first pool just a few years ago. Never again
Unless it is looked after very carefully, it may need tons of work.

When it rains heavily, you need to increase the chlorine or something, or the pool goes green.
The leaves fall in the pool and need clearing out, or the filter clogs up.

We had a Chemigen, and that played up so much that I was a regular in our local pool shop every week.

According to some locals, having a pool increases the property value if you are selling to a new migrant, but decreases the value if a local is buying.
I never understood that before.... but now.... well, I must be becoming a local.

Old May 25th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I know absolutely naff all about pools but I don't need to. I take a sample to the pool shop now and again and they give me stuff to chuck in it. Apart from that, I scoop out leaves and clear leaves from the skimmer box. Done a backwash a couple of times under instruction from the pool shop man. All it involved was turning a handle so not too much to cope with.

No hassle at all, lovely to look out of the window and think "bloody hell, that's my pool" and great for the kids (and me to sit at the side dangling my legs in and drinking a beer).
Old May 25th 2010, 1:02 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
This is one of the reasons I very rarely let my kids go in other peoples pools

My husband takes our pool water to the pool shop every week in summer and every month in winter. As regular customers there they don't take the mickey and only sell us what is required. A couple of bags of salt a year, acid and stabiliser is usually all that is required for us. Costs maybe $100 a year if that and an hour per month in time.
Absolutely spot on....i wonder how much time people who don't have pools spend inside in A/C, during the hotter months....and then whinge about their power bills.

We hardly ever use our A/C.......
Old May 25th 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
According to some locals, having a pool increases the property value if you are selling to a new migrant, but decreases the value if a local is buying.
As with many things: That would depend on which part of Australia you live in. What you say may be true for your part of Queensland.

But for our part of WA: If you look on google earth or better still nearmap, virtually every house in our current suburb has a pool - same for the suburb we'll be living in from Friday.
Old May 25th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My husband takes our pool water to the pool shop every week in summer and every month in winter. As regular customers there they don't take the mickey and only sell us what is required.
We'll be in need of a pool shop soon . Could you please tell me which pool shop you go to?
Old May 25th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

poppy14 is an unknown quantity at this point

we didnt hav a pool our first 4 months here then bought our house & had pool put in soon as , on movin to nxt house really wanted pool , we find it NO hassel at all its never turned green in the 7yrs , our boys hav now moved on & we still use it heaps in summer i was in last wk ok touch chilly but good , even if we move i would still want a pool , i do think its a pom thing wanting a pool as u think its the aussie way .
mind u we had friends move here last yr [only stuck it 5 1/2 months] they arrived april they insisted on rental with pool as hav 3 boys we kept tellin them as they were only gonna rent 6months it wasnt worth it as winter was comin & they wouldnt use BUT woulod they listen NO anyway they payed through the nose for one which they used a handfull of times .
well guys had my say xx
Old May 25th 2010, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I never understood that before.... but now.... well, I must be becoming a local.
Backs up my earlier comment about the Aussies saying "bloody Poms and their pools" to me when a questioned them about getting a house with a pool. Can't say I'm bothered either way really, we don't have one and I wouldn't go out of may way to buy a house with one... but it wouldn't put me off a house either. I mus'nt be local enough yet.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
We'll be in need of a pool shop soon . Could you please tell me which pool shop you go to?
Pools & Spas r Us at Edgewater opposite Bunnings. It is run by an English father and son and we have been using them for 4 years now. Fantastic service.